The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HRTF Preset?
Old 24th December 2018
Here for the gear

Question HRTF Preset?

When listening to VR audio with a headset rendering Ambisonic into binaural, Your experience of spatial audio relies on hrtf. Your hrtf might not be the same as the one the playback system uses. Are there VR headsets that let you choose a different HRTF preset?
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Addict

I don't think any headsets allow you to use a custom HRTF yet. However, I know that Angelo Farina is working on a custom version of Vive Cinema that will eventually support 3rd order ambisonics and custom HRTFs too. He's really active on Facebook and teaches at a university in Italy, I believe.
Old 28th February 2019
Ksp
Lives for gear

i think Sony are developing something that tunes headphones to the end user somehow with 3d sound , a friend was talking about it but not sure whats what you mean !
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Addict

There are definitely different approaches to this. Unless they've got something really tricky going on, the Sony thing is probably an adjustment for the distance between your ears, which makes some difference in the modeling. A more sophisticated approach is to get a scan of your HRTF that takes into account the way sound is filtered based on the shape of your upper torso, shoulders, head, and especially the unique pinnae of your ears. This can be done with special speakers and microphones in a lab setting, the "acoustic" approach, and a few companies are working on modeling this from 3D photo scans, or even a scan of your head using a smartphone.

About IDA - IDA
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
There are definitely different approaches to this. Unless they've got something really tricky going on, the Sony thing is probably an adjustment for the distance between your ears, which makes some difference in the modeling. A more sophisticated approach is to get a scan of your HRTF that takes into account the way sound is filtered based on the shape of your upper torso, shoulders, head, and especially the unique pinnae of your ears. This can be done with special speakers and microphones in a lab setting, the "acoustic" approach, and a few companies are working on modeling this from 3D photo scans, or even a scan of your head using a smartphone.

About IDA - IDA
I'm a bit confused by the IDA website. They don't seem to offer a product. I only see a generalized description for the concept of a personalized HRTF for binaural headphone monitoring.
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
I'm a bit confused by the IDA website. They don't seem to offer a product. I only see a generalized description for the concept of a personalized HRTF for binaural headphone monitoring.
I would just send them an e-mail through their contact page. I've spoken with an employee via facebook but haven't done the service myself. My understanding is that you just send them pictures of your head and ears, they digitally model your HRTF using those pictures, and then you receive a SOFA file that you can load into a binaural decoder that supports custom HRTFs. I think the service is around $4-500. If you have access to some type of volumetric scanner, they may be able to use that data for an even more accurate model.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search