The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What microphone for Dolby Atmos Ambience (Background) recording
Old 4th October 2018
  #1
What microphone for Dolby Atmos Ambience (Background) recording

Any microphone configuration are preferred? Ambisonic (Tetrahedron) doesn't fit well for lacking distance information. Must it be 7.1.4 configuration?
Thank you
Old 9th October 2018
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
Any microphone configuration are preferred? Ambisonic (Tetrahedron) doesn't fit well for lacking distance information. Must it be 7.1.4 configuration?
What do you mean by "distance information"? Do you mean time diferences, like in spaced arrays?

In any case, coincident arrays are not de facto excluded as a source for Dolby Atmos. Check out the new "SoundField by RØDE" plug-in in advanced decoding mode for 1st order B-Format.

SoundField by RODE Plugin
Old 15th October 2018
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
What do you mean by "distance information"? Do you mean time diferences, like in spaced arrays?

In any case, coincident arrays are not de facto excluded as a source for Dolby Atmos. Check out the new "SoundField by RØDE" plug-in in advanced decoding mode for 1st order B-Format.

SoundField by RODE Plugin
I felt the coincident capsules layout lacking sound space compared to spaced capsules. Schoeps also indicated the same, so they provide ORTF-3D solution. All horizontal plane is spaced at about 17 to 20 cm, coincident for vertical only.
Old 17th October 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
I felt the coincident capsules layout lacking sound space compared to spaced capsules. Schoeps also indicated the same, so they provide ORTF-3D solution. All horizontal plane is spaced at about 17 to 20 cm, coincident for vertical only.
I use the Schoeps ortf-3d, totally love it. Sits perfectly in the quad corners of a mix and is super easy to assign the sides. Also I think the x.4.x "ceiling" channels need to be mic'ed & mixed completely seperatly, so that lines up well with the ortf-3d (as a seperatatly recorded ambient).

I do think there's a big difference between atmos "headphone" mixing vs theater, so while the "true" ambisonic mics might be good for headphones, I prefer simple quads mics for nearfield streaming theater mixing (i.e. netflix/itunes type of mixes). To me headphones is an audience of 1, so it's really a point solution which lines up with the normal ambisonics (i do want to eventually try ambisonic mic arrays so I can get some of the same feel I get with 3d-ortf). But theater and home theater mixing, it's a different deal from headphones because your trying to create a sound field that covers as much of the room as possible with the "sweet spot" - thus to me the 3d-ortf's are more designed for theater mixes (and near-field streaming 5.1 distributions I think the ortf-3d is about perfect for mixing).
Old 25th October 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 

funny to read this question from you: i assume your vr ball mic is a pretty good contender? :-)
anyway, i cannot speak for cinema or streaming as i'm mostly doing live surround work - for this purpose, schoeps ortf3d works fine; i prefer to use highly non-correlated pairs with one pair being significantly further away from the source though: saves me from using matrices, objects and efx devices but let's me route signals directly to speakers: much preferred over any other method! (and frankly, this whole licensing thing is a joke!)
Old 26th October 2018
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
funny to read this question from you: i assume your vr ball mic is a pretty good contender? :-)
anyway, i cannot speak for cinema or streaming as i'm mostly doing live surround work - for this purpose, schoeps ortf3d works fine; i prefer to use highly non-correlated pairs with one pair being significantly further away from the source though: saves me from using matrices, objects and efx devices but let's me route signals directly to speakers: much preferred over any other method! (and frankly, this whole licensing thing is a joke!)
Yes, I believe my VR Ball is an excellent choice for this. But as the same as stereo, there're various way to setup a stereo pair: ORTF, Blumlein, Decca Tree, Binaural, XY, AB, NOS....
And this make me wonder, my VR Ball approach is one way, but there must be other configuration that could be a good choice. I am always interested in the ORTF-3D approach, but if I did the same, it could be labeled as a "copy cat"...
Another consideration is what you said, the most convenient and reasonable way to layout the channels in the post.
Old 26th October 2018
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I use the Schoeps ortf-3d, totally love it. Sits perfectly in the quad corners of a mix and is super easy to assign the sides. Also I think the x.4.x "ceiling" channels need to be mic'ed & mixed completely seperatly, so that lines up well with the ortf-3d (as a seperatatly recorded ambient).

I do think there's a big difference between atmos "headphone" mixing vs theater, so while the "true" ambisonic mics might be good for headphones, I prefer simple quads mics for nearfield streaming theater mixing (i.e. netflix/itunes type of mixes). To me headphones is an audience of 1, so it's really a point solution which lines up with the normal ambisonics (i do want to eventually try ambisonic mic arrays so I can get some of the same feel I get with 3d-ortf). But theater and home theater mixing, it's a different deal from headphones because your trying to create a sound field that covers as much of the room as possible with the "sweet spot" - thus to me the 3d-ortf's are more designed for theater mixes (and near-field streaming 5.1 distributions I think the ortf-3d is about perfect for mixing).
I wondered how can I playback Netflix into Dolby surround or Atmos? Looks to me, the only signal coming from PC shows only 2 channels audio.
Old 26th October 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
I wondered how can I playback Netflix into Dolby surround or Atmos? Looks to me, the only signal coming from PC shows only 2 channels audio.
You can't use the browser, and have to use one of those streaming apps & devices going to the tv. Though netflix and itunes basically have the same delivery spec, I can't get netflix running through my nice post production 5.1 system as a stream. (my 5.1 post system is only hooked to my mac, i don't have a normal "home" 5.1 system)
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump