The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
vr computer build advice?
Old 2nd August 2018
Gear Head

vr computer build advice?

Hi

Im a longtime ambisonics user without any real VR experience or kit and im looking to build my first pc for a long while that will be able handle win10 and the graphics for vr as im a routine mac user and a bit out of touch.

I would also like it to work as a hackintosh which I do have experience of building 6/7 years ago in firewire days and can sort out, but if anyone one has any experience of cards cpus and boards or specific requirements needed for Vr setups or even suggestions of a decent off the shelf pc?

much appreciated

mick

hope this goes in the VR forum as I cant see a way to direct it
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickblah View Post
Hi

Im a longtime ambisonics user without any real VR experience or kit and im looking to build my first pc for a long while that will be able handle win10 and the graphics for vr as im a routine mac user and a bit out of touch.

I would also like it to work as a hackintosh which I do have experience of building 6/7 years ago in firewire days and can sort out, but if anyone one has any experience of cards cpus and boards or specific requirements needed for Vr setups or even suggestions of a decent off the shelf pc?

much appreciated

mick

hope this goes in the VR forum as I cant see a way to direct it
hmmm ....

For my shop, Editorial and sound is on mac while compositing/rendering/vr is on windows. Also all middleware for my shop is unity3d, and if 3d players are used that is all on phones (i.e. like the google daydream). If your doing something with different middleware, these sugestions could be totally different.

So on the mac, generally it's the amd gpu that's important, unity does better then I expected with amd gpu, plus anything you do in middleware on the mac side can be quickly moved to windows. on liftgammagain.com they have a bunch of users with hackintoshes, the issues is nvidia vs amd on the hackintosh and how that hooks into the recent OS with all the vr library support(I haven't done any testing with those so can't give more info except theres very few people I can ask questions/problem solve with nvidia on mac with the newest os). Generally btw you need to use the newest version of the OS with vr, so you can't do some build on some ancient hackintosh os and expect it to run the new vr stuff.

For windows 10 it's for sure easiest to go with nvidia 1070 or 1080, I don't see most of my intel cpu cores being used heavily when I run so getting fast 4 cores cpu I think is all that's needed. If your fanatical on the dual windows/mac boot, the numbers for the new AMD gpu are pretty good and they will work fine for vive. I'm btw still a bit paranoid on amd gpu temperature, so make sure you got some serious air flow if your going amd gpu's (they have a kind of wierd power utlization curve so also make sure your power supply can deal with some peaking).

My shop though has given up on doing direct VR on mac's, doing a bit of xr on the ipad pro but that's a different story. So right now, all editing/sound is on mac with no direct VR viewing. As middlewear builds are in unity3d build, it's easy to move that to windows or mac. For players, like top over bottom h264, that goes either goes to the windows machine for vive viewing or to a player on the daydream(the new facebook phone thing should work fine too, but I don't test with that).
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Head

Thansk for all the info patrick - im entering into an upgrade cycle as my metric halo audio boxes are getting a life expanding upgrade that will replace firewire with ethernet and open the door to windows. My workhorse macbookpro 2014 still deals with most things i throw at it and the new supermacbookpro still needs a egpu and would cost an arm and both legs and im also very wary of jumping on to the big new thing before its at least a year in.

Your suggestions are really helpful and i can work thru what will be acceptable for a hackintosh spec Id not seen your link before but i used Tony86's site before. When i did that 6/7 years ago I ended up building 4 machines specifically for audio tracking and playback sitting in PA racks with Madi cards - I was always very specific that they worked and any system updates should be avoided and they still work on OSXmavericks. Wheras a video machine I did ran out of juice after 3 years and now sits to run old fcp7 jobs even putting windows 10 on them requires Firmware upgrades which ive refused to try. So yes this is a brand new machine with a focus on visuals and a bit of flexibilty. My initial thought was to go wth the mac friendly Radeonpro580 as thats what comes with their blackmagic egpu and a few other must haves like gbethernet and thunderbolt3 maybe.

I know hacks and guarantees dont sit well but windows 10 will be astart with vr learning. As for headsets im going to wait till I have something worth viewing - I went to an occulusGo demo day last month and was severely unimpressed so i have a long way to go

best

mick
Old 17th September 2018
Here for the gear

Also something that I've come into when working and testing spacial audio is a good CPU. If you decide to go into working with audio in unity or unreal engine 4 you learn the a lot of the spatial processing goes through the cpu. Right now I have an intel i5 7500 1151 kaby lake processor and its been running well. I think anything above that and you'll be okay for the time being.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search