The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is virtual reality still just "visual" and not "auditory"?
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Maniac

is virtual reality still just "visual" and not "auditory"?

This is an interesting new sub forum. I'm curious if virtual reality is just defined as something "visual" or could it be "auditory" as well? are binaural beats a form of "auditory" virtual reality?
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slutbox View Post
This is an interesting new sub forum. I'm curious if virtual reality is just defined as something "visual" or could it be "auditory" as well? are binaural beats a form of "auditory" virtual reality?
I would like a lot more pure auditory experiences with absolutly no visual. Like in a cave with drips and someone placing instruments, or me floating along in a cave. I find I get kind of tired looking at the AR screen, so want more pure audio things ... it's just right now it seems the visual AR has the sexyness, but long term I think the audio side will be as/more important.
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by slutbox View Post
I think it’s an inherit perception we will constantly need to work against as musicians whenever the “AR” or “VR” terms are used. Our group just released a purely auditory AR album—and our press feedback so far has been partly that our visuals in the app are lacking too much to advertise it to their audiences. We made a concious decision to hide the visuals so that people would listen and navigate purely with their ears.

The reaction is partly our fault for not caveating enough in our press that there are no visuals—and also showing the “guts” in our promo video (see video link below). But there’s so much potential in the medium—we can control audio effects or pitch based on distance, make songs different depending which way you walk, etc. So happy we have this forum to talk these things out and thrive as a group.

https://youtu.be/jmW3hyoCoSk
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Head

I wonder if there's such a concept as a narrative distance for music. That is, for people to mentally process music (emotion or the intellectual), must there be some disengagement of the other faculties for appreciation/reflection to develop. For certain genre such as dance, there's an obvious kinesthetic component that's impressed upon but for others such as classical, stillness is a preferred.

For musical interplay / game elements, I suppose the lines between creator/listener are blurred. There may even be an opportunity for an idea such as collaborative music making to be popularized in that shared space (AR).
Old 16th October 2019
Here for the gear

I used to work in the original developer of computer graphics' vr lab I went there to develop this but was put to work making soundtracks. like vr needs midi to even begin, 3d multitrack sound visualization is something you would still want to view your monitor and studio, so an ar monocle a three d glove are good starting points no one has developed my idea which has been recorded with the inventor of virtual reality. a composition environment is the pinnacle of analog and digital (audio midi )data visualization. a multitrack view where time frequency and amplitude are all visible and rotatable to cross compare multitrack data. everything else in this catagory of development looks like a dumbass pipedream, and it's illegal to steal my idea, and not one of them have touched it and mpg64r software exists, on your monitor. it reads ableton and protools files and is it's own software.
📝 Reply