The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Updateable list of "Ambisonic-legal" mics?
Old 31st May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post

- Zylia ZM-1
The Zylia ZM-1 has 19 capsules.

http://www.zylia.co/zylia-zm-1-microphone.html

Audio Rents has a pair if you would like to demo one.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

I've only heard the Zylia on a crowded convention floor, so I can't comment too much on the sound quality, but I think they're hurting themselves a bit since it's a USB only mic. The vast majority of people I know doing ambisonics work are in the field, where it makes no sense to have a laptop. I could see it being useful in a smaller studio setting if you can aggregate it with another audio interface recording spot mics.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
I've only heard the Zylia on a crowded convention floor, so I can't comment too much on the sound quality, but I think they're hurting themselves a bit since it's a USB only mic. The vast majority of people I know doing ambisonics work are in the field, where it makes no sense to have a laptop. I could see it being useful in a smaller studio setting if you can aggregate it with another audio interface recording spot mics.
Works fine (though not with the updated version 2.0.0 driver, I had to revert to 1.3.0) with the Ockel Sirius A Pro Windows 10 computer, which is smaller than any field recorder other than a shaver. Might be worth trying the spot mic add on idea, especially if a future version of the Zylia Studio recording software adds that feature (they are still updating this work-in-progress, latest version still does not give you files with above 19 kHz real response, though they say it records up to 24 kHz (48 kHz sampling) and the processing plugins just need work).
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

There is also the Oktava MK-012 4D (or D4, I can't remember). I have an old one; the sphere encompassing the capsules is about 98 mm diameter, which makes for poor directional resolution even down to relatively 'mid' frequencies. I have not seen how big the current model is; it might be better (smaller) - can't easily tell from photos on the website; it can't be very small, given the fairly large size of MK-012 capsules.

An issue with the early MK-012 4D is that it uses a non standard Ambisonic layout - effectively turned 90 degrees; I think the DPA Amnisonic mic is the same. Also, it really benefits from being properly calibrated, to compensate a little for the large array size.

All that said, the sound from the Oktava capsules is lovely for classical music, whether choral or orchestral. I still occasionally use it , when directional cues are not so important. But mostly I use a Brahma, for it's better directional resolving power
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search