The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are there any in-ear binaural microphones available?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Are there any in-ear binaural microphones available?

Hey there,

I own a Tascam DR-100mkII which does not have plugin-power. I'd like a really nice set of in-ear binaural microphones/headphones, however, I've only been able to find ones that require plug-in power. Has anyone heard of a set without the necessity of this? Or am I going to have to get an external power supply? I would just rather not carrying extra weight, I like to keep things simple.

Bonus question: Are there any all-in-one field recorders on the market that record at 192kHz?

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
You can get "plug-in" power (if you are referring to 3.5mm powering low gain mics) with a duo XLR to 3.5mm stereo cable. There are some on the market that use straight up +48v.
Are you sure that you can't use the line level in with the DR-100mkII? (Assuming it's stereo.)
I tried a Sound Professionals one which worked fine with a normal line level into the zoom.

For your bonus question, if you are looking for an upgrade of the Tascam you might want to see the newer version of the DR-100, Tascam DR-100 MK3. It has the 192khz. Assuming that you like the DR100.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I had bought a pair of Roland cs-10ems and tried them, no such luck... However I would think that if you run a pair like that through phantom they might be too hot and too high of a noise floor?

The mkiii!! I see that this new device does have plugin power also... But I don't know if I'm ready to upgrade just yet... Just need a decent set of binaural headphones to go with my current setup...
Old 1 week ago
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
That's a really interesting site, I was not tracking what this thread was about until I went to that site and started reading. I could only imagine what could be done with this, for example there's a big fire in northern california where I live, if one of the firefighters was wearing this and recording ... would be amazing.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
That's a really interesting site, I was not tracking what this thread was about until I went to that site and started reading. I could only imagine what could be done with this, for example there's a big fire in northern california where I live, if one of the firefighters was wearing this and recording ... would be amazing.
If I recall correctly, multiple armies uses similar technology for communication and still hearing the battlefield while not going deaf. I think it was called TCAPS(?)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinL View Post
If I recall correctly, multiple armies uses similar technology for communication and still hearing the battlefield while not going deaf. I think it was called TCAPS(?)
I just researched this, that is exactly right what you saidand there is a bunch of info on this. I think the entire XR sound side has just a ton of growth potential, I'm probably going to buy the soundman system ... has anyone used it or have sugestions on what to get?
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search