The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Newbie - QQ Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Newbie - QQ

Hello!

I'm a regular 'ol stereo audio guy who's wondering if Ambisonic's would be cool for music albums in the future. I want to ask GS for some good introductory examples/reading/whatev to wet my pallet. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One thing I have been comparing is a dts headphones mix vs a normal stereo mix in a album called spheres. On itunes the album is in both versions so you can compare. It's done by Dixon and stein, who do a lot of post music ... It's real high quality. In a subway/train environment I can't hear much of a difference, but in a quite room that's dark I can feel the spheres in the dts binaural audio mix while in the stereo mix I can only image things planar. I am also finding quad mixes can give me a much better image then stereo. Here's the link if your on iTunes:

Spheres (Original Score) by Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein on Apple Music

Spheres: Dts Headphone X Binaural Audio (Original Score) by Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein on Apple Music
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
One thing I have been comparing is a dts headphones mix vs a normal stereo mix in a album called spheres. On itunes the album is in both versions so you can compare. It's done by Dixon and stein, who do a lot of post music ... It's real high quality. In a subway/train environment I can't hear much of a difference, but in a quite room that's dark I can feel the spheres in the dts binaural audio mix while in the stereo mix I can only image things planar. I am also finding quad mixes can give me a much better image then stereo. Here's the link if your on iTunes:

Spheres (Original Score) by Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein on Apple Music

Spheres: Dts Headphone X Binaural Audio (Original Score) by Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein on Apple Music
Wow, what a difference! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, the binaural version is really so much more lifelike in it's movements; it sounds very 3D. In the stereo version, things are moving left to right - akin to every stereo song I've heard. I'm thinking about old Zeppelin records - Whole Lotta Love for example - when stereo movement was the new cool trick. It's just left to right or vice-versa.

This, on the other hand, sounds like it's swirling behind and in front of me. Very cool. Makes me wonder what Whole Lotta Love would sound like if it were recorded using Ambisonics :-).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

So, to get started mixing with Ambisonics, what kind of tools are required? Waves offers the 360° Ambisonics Tools Bundle. Are there any other competing products to consider?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camacozie View Post
So, to get started mixing with Ambisonics, what kind of tools are required? Waves offers the 360° Ambisonics Tools Bundle. Are there any other competing products to consider?
From doing this on the "app" side theres a bunch of options. On the PC & gaming side I would reference Brian Schmidt's tool sets he goes over in this thread: Game Audio Guru Brian Schmidt Mini Q+A 2018

On the phone app side, unity3d is great. (some of the real compelling content I've listened to is in unity3d)

In about all cases you can always do the music in quad, then pick the various daws to remap the quad to hrtf/binaural options. I'm a protools hd person, it gives me a lot of options but that's a kind of expensive way to go. If I was starting out from scratch I'd probably go nuendo/wwise (nuendo has a bunch of new stuff coming out and has good wwise integration).

If I could pick another extreme it's the Suzanne Cianni/Hans Zimmer/JunkieXL/Deadmau5 crowd (which the sphere's album kind of follows). They all have both a serious business background and all were profesional performance artist - all do a lot with modular but normally go to stems that can go to any distribution format. All of them also have a lot of youtubes and such, but normally don't get super techie on exact methods.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by camacozie View Post
Are there any other competing products to consider?
There are a bunch of free ambisonic plug-ins that will enable you to do almost anything you'd ever desire without spending a penny. One of the great things about ambisonics is that the scientific foundations can't be copyrighted, there are no patents on the tetrahedral mic design, and interest in academia has picked up again the past few years. With 360 video (my current day job), ambisonics is more "mainstream" than ever.

If you just want to mix in ambisonics without doing any video work, I'd start with the following, free packages : Blue Ripple Sound Core, IEM, aalto SPARTA, and Matthias Kronlachner's ambiX Suite. You may also want to get the Facebook 360 Spatial Workstation and use that as the foundation of your plug-in suite. It will allow you to easily preview your mix on headphones, in binaural, with a "magic window" to pan around as if you're moving your head.

Whatever you do, I would suggest working in at least 3rd Order, which requires 16 channels of audio per track. Mix in 3rd Order or higher, and then you'll have a somewhat future-proofed master that can be decoded into binaural for headphones, 5.1, 7.1, etc., and any speaker array you'd ever encounter.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

To answer your question, there are some people who think there's a bright future for "immersive / 3D / spatial" audio in the consumer realm, and equally as many doubters. A few years ago I was researching new interfaces when I came across Morton Lindberg and 2L from Norway (He uses Merging). 2L releases true "audiophile" surround recordings on Blu-Ray, some recorded "in the round", with musicians surrounding an array of microphones in a beautiful space. I had just seen someone talk about 360 video for the first time, so this took me down a rabbit hole to where I am today, doing full audio and video production for 360 video, from pre-pro and stitching to 3D VFX work & ambisonic audio as well. I've been fully immersed in the space for a few years now, and I could talk all day about it, but let me know if you have any specific questions.

Here's a few things you can check out though: SuperSphere VR does live broadcasts of concerts in 360 video, and "The Zero System" is an immersive music label a friend of mine started in LA a while back. Consumers can download music for playback on regular headphones, headphones w/ head-tracking so the image rotates with your head movements, 360 headsets like the Oculus Go, 5.1 systems, or massive hemispherical speaker arrays like those at CCRMA @ Stanford. I've heard some arrays at CCRMA that blew my mind and destroy anything like Atmos - not even close...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search