The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ambeo Noise floor Boundary Microphones
Old 20th October 2018
Here for the gear

Ambeo Noise floor

Hi

Trying an ambeo today and I find that there is a lot of noise floor, especially on the 4th channel.
That's not a preamp prob I think because I tried with other static mic and there is far less noise floor. Tried different cables too.
Noise increase as I increase gain.

Is it common with this microphone ?

As is it might be difficult to record subtle ambiances...

Any idea ?

Thanx
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Maniac

I'll copy/paste the answer I gave you on Facebook, it could interest GS users.
«If you're talking about the A-Format (direct from mic, unprocessed), the noise level should be the same on all channels. If it's not, be sure that the input/recording levels are the same on all channels. If the input/recording levels are the same and the noise is still higher on channel 4 (be sure to test in a very quiet environment), the mic needs servicing.»

«Also, try switching the inputs: put channel 4 from the mic on other preamp channels, just to be sure. In any case, the Ambeo VR is not the quietest mic around.»
I'll add that the only time I had an Ambeo VR mic to try was for an hour, recording urban noisy environment, so the mic self-noise was very well buried.

But, as I alluded to on FB, the Ambeo VR mic has the reputation of being a bit noisy.

Last edited by Kewl; 25th October 2018 at 01:20 PM..
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

with all things checked and the raised noise floor in one channel still there, the mic needs some attention; ain't normal, not even in this price range and certainly not with a product from this manufacturer - i've been using the equally inexpensive sps-200 and i'm not experiencing any offsets.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Which version of the A-B converter are you using? I noticed a lot of noise in the first version (1.0.3) but this was fixed in 1.1.2 and above.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search