The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should my Youtube music video have an audio sample rate of 48kHz? Consoles
Old 4th March 2017
Gear Head

Should my Youtube music video have an audio sample rate of 48kHz?

I don't know the first thing about sample rate, but I've heard that video has (or should have) an audio sample rate of 48 kHz.

I have a song as a wave file with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, and I'm now gonna make a music video for Youtube. Does that mean I should change the sample rate on my song from 44.1 to 48 kHz before importing it to Premiere Pro, which is where I edit my video? Or should I do it when exporting my video from Premiere Pro? Or should I just leave it a 44.1 kHz?
Old 4th March 2017
Lives for gear

leave it at 44.1k
Old 4th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
leave it at 44.1k
Ok. Will it make a difference at all?
Old 5th March 2017
YOUTUBE recommended encoding settings for best playback:
Audio: 48Khz or 96Khz Stereo AAC-LC
Video: H264 - Progressive scan (no interlacing) - 2 consecutive B frames Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
CABAC Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required, though we offer recommended bit rates below for reference Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
24,25,30,48,50, or 60 FPS

MP4 container set for fast start.

Overall Bitrate is going to do more damage than anything here.

Audio: 128 kbps for mono and 384 kbps for stereo
Video: you can go from 1 Mbps to 56 Mbps based on delivery size ( 360p up to 2160p )

cheers
geo
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
YOUTUBE recommended encoding settings for best playback:
Video: H264 - Progressive scan (no interlacing) - 2 consecutive B frames Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
I'm coming from the sound camp, so please be kind :-) About half way through that long line, I get lost.

We just got a Matrox MXO2 and our camera collection needs to be filled out. (We tried a laptop facing the stage, with a 1600 X 900 display showing its camera in full screen, and using its HDMI output to the MXO2 HDMI input. No luck. One of the MXO2 settings showed two 'half' screens side by side, however, none of the other settings showed anything. Then we switched to the other available camera - a black and white tube-type Panasonic - and tried NTSC through composite. It worked, but I think the tube itself has aged. It used to have a better picture, I think.)

So while we try to figure out the camera situation; in Matrox V/V Tools (our only software at the moment) there is a choice:

"Under Codec , select the codec that you want to use for the capture.
. Matrox 8-bit Uncompressed Captures video to 8-bit uncompressed
format.
. Matrox 10-bit Uncompressed Captures video to 10-bit
uncompressed format. This is the only codec available when using a
10-bit video processing format, and is not available when using an 8-bit
format."

Should we just stay at 8-bit - at least for a while?

best, john
Old 5th April 2017
those are the prescribed delivery for best results... in the real world... try a few different tests and determine what works for you, how it was shot, and what you can export with your equipment.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search