The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Microphone For Amature Film Making?
Old 4th February 2013
Here for the gear

Best Microphone For Amature Film Making?

Hi, I am currently assigned a film project in high school. I'm considering to buy either the Rode Stereo Video Mic Pro, or Sony PCM-d50 for the Canon t3i.
I want to stay in a sub $500 budget, do you know any microphones that I could purchase without the hassle of syncing audio? Is there a way I could get a Stereo or Shoogun microphome to sound like this (the youtube film) within my budget? This video is the minimum of my sound requirements, they are using a zoom h4n recorder. (the Film is suposed to be cheasy)

Any advice would help alot
Old 4th February 2013
Here for the gear

I think what you are looking for is a shotgun microphone.
Old 4th February 2013
The Rode is supposed to be very good.
You should look at the various video forums for user feedback on various audio solutions.
Dvxuser and Philip Bloom.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

More movies than most realize are sync-ed in the studio by the actors after the fact. Take a close look at the clip, too.
Using the location sound can actually be more hassle. Still, it is much preferred IMO.
Voice over (like the start of the clip) is another matter, but interestingly a shotgun mike like a (used) Sennheiser 416 can do it all very well indeed. That is voice over, actor overdub and location sound (while it was mostly designed for the latter). Can't go wrong, unless you need a wide (sound) perspective

I'm not a movie maker, but I believe pros often use a Schoeps with supercardioid cap (41) which is not quite as directional as a shotgun. Expensive, though.

Perhaps get an Oktava MK012 set with all three capsules. (Or better yet; get a pair.) It includes a hypercardioid cap which you'd likely use most. But the cardioid and omni will come in handy, too, plus you'll learn a lot. Then when you've had your breakthrough, get the Schoeps.

Other tricks could include boundary microphones and miniature mikes that you can easily hide.

Now let's hope some real movie makers chime in.

Henk
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Audio Technica makes several shotguns that are far below your budget. I've used the 815 a lot and it gets the job done.
L.
Old 4th February 2013
The Rode NTG3 is an excellent "poor man's" film shotgun. It sounds VERY close to the industry-standard Sennheiser MKH416.

If you are using a DSLR, get a Tascam DR40 (at minimum!) as a recorder. Avoid the Zoom recorders (just speaking from personal experience) - they have noise issues on the XLR inputs. At least some of the older models did.

So that's got you properly sorted for outdoors and soundstages. In less controlled indoor environments the shotgun is not generally the microphone of choice, but this is a new can o' worms.
Old 5th February 2013
Here for the gear

One more question, how much would it cost to have all the parts needed for a fully functional budget friendly boom pole? What exactly do I need to buy?
Old 5th February 2013
Seriously....
Spend a few nights trawling the info here:
Location Sound / Post Audio
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Good Music View Post
One more question, how much would it cost to have all the parts needed for a fully functional budget friendly boom pole? What exactly do I need to buy?
Lots of options here. If you're on a tight budget you don't need a expensive pole, just make sure it's lightweight and if you can get some info on handling noise that's important, though even the cheap ones if held correctly won't transmit that much noise.
Best Microphone For Amature Film Making?microphone boom pole | eBay
L.
Old 5th February 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks, you guys helped out a ton....
Old 7th February 2013
stay away for a "stereo" mic... just get a good mono shotgun and a good wireless lav.. Use the two for your project.. You'll be much happier if you do both a shotgun and a wireless if you are working in not-so-quiet locations.

cheers
geo
Old 16th September 2018
Here for the gear

VideoMic Pro is the best option.
The super cardioid orientation allows you to cut off lateral noise, and a low level of intrinsic noise provides a transparent sound, even for quiet speech and similar sound sources.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search