The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
[email protected]
Old 18th October 2012
Here for the gear

i assumed DCPs could now be produced at 25fps but a conversation with a film editor today suggested that not all projectors can work with this frame rate. is this correct?
Old 18th October 2012
Acceptable frame rates for delivering a film for DCP creation is

23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 47.96, 48, 50, 59.94, 60

Note: Simple DCP does not perform frame rate conversions, but will conform source material from 23.98 frame per second to 24 frames per second and 29.97 frames per second to 30 frames per second.

as far as projector goes.... it all depends on the projector and playback system in use.

cheers
geo
Old 18th October 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Acceptable frame rates for DCP

23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 47.96, 48, 50, 59.94, 60

Note: Simple DCP does not perform frame rate conversions, but will conform source material from 23.98 frame per second to 24 frames per second and 29.97 frames per second to 30 frames per second.

as far as projector goes.... it all depends on the projector and playback system in use.
thanks, georgia. project in question originates at 25fps and as is becoming common these days, my deliverables don't include a print. i had hoped to avoid pitch and stretch for 24fps DCP.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubweiser View Post
i assumed DCPs could now be produced at 25fps but a conversation with a film editor today suggested that not all projectors can work with this frame rate. is this correct?
Check the venue where you'll be premiering, and if they support 25fps, ask the producer to make a copy @25. But you'll have to make a 24fps version too, because that is the most universaly compatible framerate, so it will be sent to festivals etc.
Old 19th October 2012
Over here in Belgium almost all theaters are equipped with digital projectors but most of them are 24p only (or the projection staff don't know/want to change the rate) so here is the rule: DCP=24fps. I can assume that this is an issue that exists in other countries to.

Films that are intended to be released on DCP are shot in 24fps and then speeded to 25fps for Broadcast & DVD release. (this tends to be better sounding than slowing from 25fps to 24fps) but that is to late now for your project, and I understand your concern. Unfortunately if the delivery specs requests a 24fps you'll have to.

Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Old 19th October 2012
Here for the gear

you're right, it does look like there's no way around it. thanks, folks.
Old 5th December 2012
Here for the gear

Here is a good link wich explains many things...

Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) - DIGITAL CINEMA SYSTEM SPECIFICATION, VERSION 1.2
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

The issue is compatibility with older DCP services.
The project I have just worked on in the UK was at a native rate of 25fps so after discussion with the DCP authoring facility in London we agreed on a pull down to 24. They estimated that it would be about 18months before they could guarantee 25fps playback across the whole of the UK and longer world wide.
The accepted work flow here in NZ (despite all the advancements thanks to Rings and the Hobbit) is still to pull up from 23.976 or down from 25 to 24.
We are rapidly approaching a most wonderful time where pull-ups/pull downs and pitching
will only be needed for TV yaaaaaay!

In the meantime 24fps is safest option (possibly everywhere but def out side the US at least)
Old 28th May 2015
Lives for gear

and that time still isn't here.... haha! Can't get anyone to touch a 25fps DCP with a 25 foot pole!
Old 29th April 2016
Gear Maniac

A year has passed since the latest post. Is it still unsafe to make a 25fps DCP?
Old 2nd May 2016
Bottom line for me is I deliver what the client wants... Most of the time when doing DCP there is a request from someone down the food chain. Distributors, producers, film festival, screening event... whatever.. I get the DCP spec from the client or distributor directly and when possible with smaller projects where the client may not have a good handle on technology, I contact the screening location or festival and make sure the right material delivery is created.

(...how about that for a non-answer answer...)

cheers
geo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search