The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tim's first right move. FCP7 back on sale
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Tim's first right move. FCP7 back on sale

Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Studio Back on Sale - Mac Rumors

Looks like Apple finally put their tail rightfully between their legs and started selling FCP7 again to their regular customers. Though it looks like you still need to jump through hoops and call them to buy it as it is not available via online or brick retail channels.

Maybe business focused Tim Cook taking the helm will be good.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Good. Now they can keep ALL their customers, at least for now. How hard was this?

phil p
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Arrow it wasn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
How hard was this?
Apparently too hard for Steve.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Good. Now they can keep ALL their customers, at least for now. How hard was this?

phil p
ALL I'm not sure about that like me many of my friends just changed over to Premiere Pro with the half price deal. (Clever Adobe!) I'm afraid for a lot of us the horse has bolted. Might come back to FCP one day but I've already spent my money and have to say liking CS5 integration a lot.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

the key words in that are "legacy" which means- not supported into the future...

They might have bought some time to fix FCX though- what they do with it will make all the difference in the world though.....
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMedia View Post
ALL I'm not sure about that like me many of my friends just changed over to Premiere Pro with the half price deal. (Clever Adobe!)
AVID had this clever idea before Adobe did. I took advantage of it to get a license for Media Composer.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Granted things like the iPhone, iPad, iTunes and all of the other iProducts are Apple's focus and main source of revenue.

Relatively speaking, FCP and the other Pro Apps are just the pennies they drop on the sidewalk, but the people who have used them for many years often are the true Apple evangelist community. Extremely loyal and more than willing to be early adopters and Guinea pigs.

Pissing them off with a bone-headed move like Final Cut Pro X just isn't a good business strategy no matter how you shuffle the cards. One very lucky turn of events is Hewlitt-Packard getting out of the computer hardware business. HP workstations have been Avid's go to and I believe ONLY approved computers. That may give Apple some time to beg forgiveness and get their act together.

Pro's are a fickle lot, and young pros are more willing than anyone to go open source to the next new thing. Apple needs to remember not so distant history, when Microsoft got so arrogant that they ignored their loyal customer base. I'd be surprised if they can ever recover fully from that fiasco.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMedia View Post
ALL I'm not sure about that like me many of my friends just changed over to Premiere Pro with the half price deal. (Clever Adobe!) I'm afraid for a lot of us the horse has bolted. Might come back to FCP one day but I've already spent my money and have to say liking CS5 integration a lot.
How do you like the render quality of Premiere? I think it is really bad. I liked the speed of the application and its titler is also fantastic but since it has no native codec it only appears to work well with uncompressed video and then transcode to a compressed codec for output. However with the amount of content that we have on our server this workflow is not an option. (we capture with delivery codec in mind and then just do a rewrap, only render the parts that need to be rendered, like videotitles).

Rendering video which is actually still of quite high quality like IMX or XDCAM looked like *$%^ after 2-3 generations. Not something I'd do in reallife, but still an indication of its render quality. I still need to contact Adobe about it. I think I had everything set correctly (maximum quality and not using any previews). I'll see if I can talk to a representative at the IBC.

It also lacks the ability to just rewrap video if it's just straight cuts, which is why I found FCP7 so usefull (actually FCPX still has this ability, but by going via Compressor or a Compressor setting, which means it is rendering, it still provided a sharper looking render than PPro).

Still we will probably buy 2-3 Production bundles because we need to upgrade Photoshop and now we'd get After Effects as an added bonus. But here editting will stay on FCP7 for a while.

Today I read about someone who has created an Applescript based app which was able to convert a FCPX timeline to After Effects. (foolcolor.net) If this is an indication where X is heading, then I certainly like that direction. Still checking Media Composer out though. I do like its keyboard driven editting, but it also feels bloated with numerous menu's and seemingly double menu's (exporting and sending to, transferring back to XDCAM etc). That app could seriousy use an overhaul.

But not to drift offtopic too much. Yeah good thing that it is possible to get more FCP7 seats if needed. I actually think that was Apple's only mistake with this new product launch. FCPX isn't ready for post, so then why pull an app that is capable?!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search