The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Final Cut X, Motion, and Compressor available today (cheap!)
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Final Cut X, Motion, and Compressor available today (cheap!)

Hi, from macrumors: Apple Announces Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 Available Today - Mac Rumors

Apple has officially announced announced that Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 are available today on the Mac App Store.
Final Cut Pro X is the biggest advance in Pro video editing since the original Final Cut Pro, said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. We have shown it to many of the worlds best Pro editors, and their jaws have dropped.
The newest version of Final Cut Pro offers features such as Magnetic Timeline that lets you edit on a flexible, trackless canvas; Content Auto-Analysis that categorizes your content upon import by shot type, media and people; and background rendering that allows you to work without interruption.

According to Apple's press release, Final Cut Pro X is available today for $299.99 from the Mac App Store. Motion 5 and Compressor 4 are also available today for $49.99 each from the Mac App Store.

Note: App Store links aren't active at this time, but we will update this post when they appear.
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Bam looking forward to downloading these! Hurry up Logic Pro X
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

They're up! Not sure about the UK though..
Old 21st June 2011

Looks like soundtrack and color have been discontinued. Shame about both. Soundtrack had some great ideas, but has never been stable. Color was wonderful, but was lacking development.

Made the right choice to go with davinci for our studio.

FCP looks brilliant though, and an absolute steal.
Excited and bummed at the same time!
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe... maybe not. Perhaps they built all the functionality into FCP directly... certainly the grading stuff i've seen in the demo's would indicate less 'need' for Color. I'm sure the audio stuff has been upgraded dramatically too.

And Soundtrack Pro is pretty 'new', it would be a pretty bold move to axe it already... perhaps they just aren't ready to release it yet.
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidius View Post
Looks like soundtrack and color have been discontinued. Shame about both. Soundtrack had some great ideas, but has never been stable. Color was wonderful, but was lacking development.

Apple - Final Cut Pro X - All Features (Color Grading stuff)
Apple - Final Cut Pro X - All Features (Audio stuff)
Apple - Final Cut Pro X - All Features (Burning/sharing stuff)

Think they've been integrated?
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Thank god it doesnt seem to do bussing! If it did i'd be going out to learn how to mix in it. As it stands it's still just a bit of a toy for production companies to use on low budget projects where the editor would have had to do the mix anyway!

FF
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

No DVD Studio Pro updates though.
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Maniac

I've been told that it won't export an OMF or an AAF.

Can anyone verify this?

-Richard
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

"Choose from a set of themed menus and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc."

Blu-ray - interesting!
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumphries View Post
I've been told that it won't export an OMF or an AAF.

Can anyone verify this?

-Richard
Really?? i doubt it! that would kill them on a Pro level surely?
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidius View Post

They're both integrated (more or less) into FCPX.

download 1/2 complete... not sure if it's gonna run on my old MBP though. If anyone has questions, post them up, and i'll get them answered ASAP
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

I'm interested in how laptops handle 'background rendering'.... fans at 100%, 100% of the time?!
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Maniac

so far, yes... my mbp is not amused.

first thoughts, i am really disoriented.

here's your preferences window:

I was looking for the "Easy Setup" so I could set my formats etc. but there was no such thing. Instead, all formatting is setup by project (now called "event")

Simplified but effectively, IMO.
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Maniac

Media import:

(I like that "remove silent tracks" part, that could be handy if using a single shotgun on a stereo recorder, not sure if it works like that yet)

Background rendering info:

Timeline/waveform (multiple view options)
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Addict

So, maybe i'm missing something, but by the preliminary looks of it, FCPx should have really been named iMovie Pro.
Some High Points:
1. You can not open anything not created in FCPx. Even older FCP 7 projects.
2. No EDL/xml import or export
3. No output to tape..
4. Can't customize window layout
5. Can't choose scratch disk locations.
6. Can't choose session start time. (as if getting proper 2 pops wasn't hard enough)
7. Can't import or export OMF or AAF. (must buy automatic duck, i think)

This is really funny. It looks like unless they offer some sort of 'real pro' level FCPx, they just handed the pro editing market to AVID. Avid has never had cheaper or better advertising than FCP changing like this. Unless what i have read is wrong, FCP is no longer a viable editing platform for anything that is intended for anything above the hobbyist film maker.
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
So, maybe i'm missing something, but by the preliminary looks of it, FCPx should have really been named iMovie Pro.
Some High Points:
3. No output to tape..
6. Can't choose session start time. (as if getting proper 2 pops wasn't hard enough)

This is really funny. It looks like unless they offer some sort of 'real pro' level FCPx, they just handed the pro editing market to AVID. Avid has never had cheaper or better advertising than FCP changing like this. Unless what i have read is wrong, FCP is no longer a viable editing platform for anything that is intended for anything above the hobbyist film maker.
Apparently no Automatic Duck as no FCP7 plugs will work. A guy at the super meet said that .0 releases from Apple are no good, he then retracted that. Probably .1 will be OK. Look at the 1st OS X - you didn't even have a desktop.

Give them time.
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Maniac

"Audio Only" export:

Normal export:

There are a couple options for "Export using Compressor Settings" (i haven't purchased it yet) so that might unlock more options.

i'm off to work now, but if anyone wants screen grabs/ screen video (if you beg) i can provide.
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some High Points:
3. No output to tape..

Sounds like a suicidal decision. Or maybe they gave up on the pro market and this is the new iMovie? Also: No support for external monitors, AFAIK.

Now how weird is that?

How will automatic duck work when there´s no XML, EDL, AAF or OMF export/import?
Old 21st June 2011
The Automatic Duck site claims FC X support:

Automatic Duck, Inc.
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomaniac View Post
The Automatic Duck site claims FC X support:

Automatic Duck, Inc.
That's good.

As for external monitors, from Apple's site:
Full-screen, real-time preview playback of SD, HD, 2K, and 4K media on main screen or an attached LED Cinema Display
Old 21st June 2011
Now will just have to convince my clients to spend nearly twice what they paid for the entire FCPX suite just for Automatic Duck...

Sometimes it's hard enough to convince them to keep any kind of budget aside for audio post at all!
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

How are we going to autoconform and/or recut our session when it doesn´t output EDL and XML?
Old 21st June 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Some High Points:
3. No output to tape..

I switched to AVID some time ago. If you are editing on a professional level it should do the job with no problem. It does pretty much the same thing as the previous final cuts. I may give fCPX a try and see what it has to offer.
Old 21st June 2011

I'll probably end up buying automatic duck myself and offer omf/aaf extraction as a service to my FCP clients. Maybe they can export an audio only FCP project, and I'd take the conversion from there.
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Nut

Does apple think all audio post will be made inside FCPX? This is disturbing.
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Here's some more info on this...
CreativeCOW
If he's right, the $299 price could go up if add ons have to be bought separately at the app store. It also looks like it's not ready for prime time in a big way. But that is early speculation.
L.
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

I think they'll slowly drip out the pro features... i friggin hope so

No OMF
Can't use shared Media on a SAN
All projects have to be on home computers hard drive

?????
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear
Apparently there will soon be a .1 update. I think Apple just wanted to get it out there, as they said it would be a June release.

Most Apple software takes a while for things to settle down, they probably are viewing this as more of an experiment knowing that studios and pro users don't upgrade until everything is stable.

FCP 7 still hasn't been adopted by many who have stuck with 6.
Old 22nd June 2011
finally we can use plugins with their GUI in FCP! This actually looks sweet for peeps like me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search