The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Final Cut X, Motion, and Compressor available today (cheap!)
Old 10th July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
I've read you bought Media Composer. What type of hardware do you intent to use with it? Or don't you do captures and laybacks from DigiBeta or HDCAM?
I do laybacks and ingest so rarely here that I don't need anything at this point. I used to have a Matrox MXO2 with FCP but 99% of my work is RED, XDCAM or P2 or DSLR based - so I sold it. That box wouldn't work anyway with MC (yet).

Generally if I need to do anything involving high-end tape (it's not "never," just "unusual") - I'll FTP a QuickTime somewhere else (or drop a hard disk off) and they do it for me, I just work it into the budget ahead of time. Has never been an issue yet. I don't do a tonne of broadcast work in-house, when I have cut TV it's generally been at someone else's facility, and the one time I did cut a something here that was definitely destined for broadcast the requested format was QuickTime. When it's strictly audio work here it tends to get sent back to editors for them to deal with once it's done.

Basically, the workflow is virtually all IT based now... tapes are rare birds indeed (although I just finished a job that was completely acquired on Mini DVCAM... thought I'd seen the last of those a couple years ago!)

Should anything change I think Blackmagic is an option now with MC.
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Maniac

with Lion out today, has anyone heard if there are any changes to fcpX? currently downloading lion but wont get to play with it til after work, 10 hours from now
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

The update brings the much needed functionality to export multiple (audio & video) tracks from FCP via the Roles metadata. It works great.

Actually it isn't really a surprise because most of the things have been mentioned in the FAQ, but it's great to see the software actually working!

It's starting to get usefull now.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
The update brings the much needed functionality to export multiple (audio & video) tracks from FCP via the Roles metadata. It works great.

Actually it isn't really a surprise because most of the things have been mentioned in the FAQ, but it's great to see the software actually working!

It's starting to get usefull now.
Hmm. A long way to go, still.

phil p
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post

phil p
Still no multicam editing but promised for early in 2012. Also support for broadcast monitors in early 2012. More info here Apple - Final Cut Pro X - Software Update
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post

phil p
yeah... That media stems export function is still totally unacceptable and bypasses the point of requiring split tracks. It's still clearly intended for someone intending to mix within Final Cut and then export stems themselves at the end if they get asked for them.

For those people remixing international shows using stems...... how pissed would you be if that's what you received!!!!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Should anything change I think Blackmagic is an option now with MC.
It will be in MC6 and that's one of the reasons I did the crossgrade from FCP. One of the others being the 65% savings on the full price... Till V6 arrives I'll get used to the software and do all the mission critical stuff in FCP, it still works for me.
Old 21st September 2011
Indeed I wouldn't call it a "major" update (when is a dot-zero-one update ever major?) - XML is definitely a step in the right direction though.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFrequency View Post
yeah... That media stems export function is still totally unacceptable and bypasses the point of requiring split tracks. It's still clearly intended for someone intending to mix within Final Cut and then export stems themselves at the end if they get asked for them.

For those people remixing international shows using stems...... how pissed would you be if that's what you received!!!!
IMHO that's not really the intention. The roles function also works on video. So for example it can also be used to create a textless render.

Also it's needed to create deliverables for broadcast or cinema with for example different languages. Without the roles function this isn't possible at all.

The audio can still be mixed in an audio studio, instead of the editing suite. It's not a replacement for OMF/AAF. That's where the XML export can be used. There are probably are other developers besides automatic duck looking into this at the moment.

It's nothing new, it's a clever way to mute tracks, which just don't exist in the traditional way in this software. And mixing from within FCPX is possible but not for a large project, there's no easy way to buss tracks to sub groups besides compound clips. If someone intents to mix in the NLE then that person wouldn't go to an audio studio anyway.
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Addict

Brining up this old thread on an issue I've run into, I am running on Mac OS 10.10.5 on a Mac pro for my PTHD 11.3.2

Clients sometimes send me Prores 4K files and instead of always trying to get back to the editor to re-export at 1080, and these files are huge, around 20-60GB (depending on the length of the film/show) so you can imagine the size of the 4K version.

My quicktime 7 Pro does not have any options for Prores so I thought I'd just buy Compressor, the latest version is 4.3.2 which requires OS 10.11.

Is there anywhere or anyway I can get Compressor version 4.0?

I've called Apple and spoken to tier 2 tech support to no avail. I can't understand why they can't just sell me an older version. Yes I know they always push the latest on everything.

Something in the back of my mind was telling me last year or 2 ago to just get Compressor in case for one day... Since back then it was purchasable at the version at that time

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Brining up this old thread on an issue I've run into, I am running on Mac OS 10.10.5 on a Mac pro for my PTHD 11.3.2

Clients sometimes send me Prores 4K files and instead of always trying to get back to the editor to re-export at 1080, and these files are huge, around 20-60GB (depending on the length of the film/show) so you can imagine the size of the 4K version.

My quicktime 7 Pro does not have any options for Prores so I thought I'd just buy Compressor, the latest version is 4.3.2 which requires OS 10.11.

Is there anywhere or anyway I can get Compressor version 4.0?

I've called Apple and spoken to tier 2 tech support to no avail. I can't understand why they can't just sell me an older version. Yes I know they always push the latest on everything.

Something in the back of my mind was telling me last year or 2 ago to just get Compressor in case for one day... Since back then it was purchasable at the version at that time

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

You could use Handbrake to convert from ProRes to something else. It is free.

https://handbrake.fr/

Alistair
Old 26th June 2017
Gear Addict

Another cheap and fast tool is to use daVinci Resolve. It's as fast as compressor, actually makes DnxHd files, and is free. Yes, it's just a slight bit more involved to use, but it's totally a viable tool.
Old 11th August 2017
Gear Addict

WHOA!

Well something very ODD just happened. Never before have I ran into anything like this. Okay so I have searched far and wide form Compressor for my mac OS 10.10. Called Apple tech support and got in touch with tier 1 on several occasions over the last few months (hoping someone would be able to help and provide a link or a way to get compressor), called every vendor that has anything to do with Mac or apple programs, searched google, friends and colleagues in the film world. No one had or knew of a way to get compressor. I not only needed it for converting prores files but also for making .ac3 files and the newer ver has Dolby Digital plus and can make Blu Ray as well. (lots of birds with one stone).

Some how I got a hold of an email to their tech dept for pro audio/compressor and sent them an email and after weeks....Nothing. Weeks later I sent the same email. and weeks went by and nothing...And just today I got an email with a zip file of compressor that works on my 10.10.5 from Apple

I am not sure why or how this happened. Life is good
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Sounds like a suicidal decision. Or maybe they gave up on the pro market
This is why we had to jump from fcp7 to adobe pp. not fun. 3 years on and still pissy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search