The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Background too QUIET on television
Old 25th November 2020
Gear Head

Background too QUIET on television

Hi all -- I've Googled this, but it's the opposite question everyone seems to be asking:

when I'm mixing for television, the dialogue is fine, and things sound great through monitors and headphones... but then once it hits the actual television, the bg music is almost too quiet to hear.

I've started thinking I maybe should just do all my mixing through a television. Any other suggestions?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Both Television and radio stations generally use a processor on their output chain like an Optimod which makes the dialog sound louder compared to the background.
Radio stations tend to use more more aggressive settings compared to television stations.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Both Television and radio stations generally use a processor on their output chain like an Optimod which makes the dialog sound louder compared to the background.
Radio stations tend to use more more aggressive settings compared to television stations.
That's part of it. Also, in the studio, it's the voice vs the m&e. At home or in the car, it's the voice and the m&e vs the entire outside world. Experienced mixers learn to mix with that in mind.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Only thing I've come up with is mixing on a television, or I had a plugin I'd never used before, Toneboosters Isone, and it makes things sound comparable. I mixed a show the other day through it and delivered, so panicky because I felt like dialogue was getting lost at times. But apparently it passed inspection, sounds great on my phone (sigh) and television. The more I learn about mixing, the less I understand how to do it.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
that's interesting--didn't know that. in my case, it's even just running it through a television, while it's still in my hands.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear