The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ShotCut vs DaVinci Free vs Filmora9.3?
Old 25th April 2020
Lives for gear

ShotCut vs DaVinci Free vs Filmora9.3?

Hi,

I’m looking to start making and editing videos and am looking for advice on software. I am 100% brand new to this and am looking for something high quality to use.

I would like to be able to be able to create something with lots of shots tiled together for choir projects like this :-

https://youtu.be/bOT0_1d1f_U

I’ve been looking around at various free and cheap options and both ShotCut and DaVinci Free seem like the top free options and Filmora 9.3 seems like a good paid option.

I would like something very easy to use to start with but would like to be able to learn to do more advanced options as well. I would also like to record some of the audio separately with Cubase 10 and add the various video camera audio clips and be able to combine and mix this within the video editor so audio mixing/editing is also very important!

What would you recommend out of these three?

Is there a better alternative under £100?
Old 13th July 2020
Here for the gear
Although you can mention many free options, most of them end up being useless. They usually offer very limited functionality, which is usually unable to generate properly edited videos. And as soon as you assume that you have fortunately stumbled upon a model with impressive functionalities, you suddenly discover that you are permanently blocked by watermarks and others. Then, to make matters worse, they probably added two annoying ads.

As you are new to this field, I suggest never try out a paid one easily until you're satisfied with its performance, in this regard, the completely free MiniTool MovieMaker is a recommendation.
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

If you narrowed it down to those 3 I would go with DaVinci. (even if you had some more options) You can grow with it.
For that kind of videos (in the example that would require 24 tracks of video playback) I would research a way to create that tiled video first. It is not trivial, or in other words it can be a nightmare of different framerates, resolutions, sync problems, etc. I would say it's not a project for a beginner video editor. maybe start with a 2x2 matrix
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried all the free options and DaVinci was the best of the bunch along with Shotcut but I went with buying Filmora. I've been successfully making these types of videos over the past few weeks and am really happy with the results
📝 Reply