The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Newbie looking to learn live sound where do I start?
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

Newbie looking to learn live sound where do I start?

Hey all, I am a metal rock bassist (semi pro) and looking to learn live sound engineering. I love gear and am not that techy

I know how to hook up PA speakers and Microphones. Now need to learn how to use a mixing board, hook up monitors and more. I ultimately want to produce live sound for corporate conferences and events and then maybe music shows depending on the pay. I know corporate shows pay, so connecting laptops, powerpoint into the AV structure with the ability to run videos.

What mixing board? Do I need a amplifier too? Anyone used Apple tv for sharing powerpoints and videos or is any reliance on wifi a bad idea ( I have my own router also to use)

Microphones- Most of the vendors I work with in my day job use Seinheizer for the lapels and hand held wireless .. should I also buy these?

HDMI cables.. I may need to have a VGA connection and HDMI at the lecturn for those who choose to bring their own laptops ( I would like to run most presentations from my control station and just have a slide deck) Question: What do i use for the lecturn- ie do I run a extra HDMI with VGA option to the lecturn, from the projector or from the mixing desk?

Hoping to hook up with someone who can guide me in relation to learning/courses advice etc ( I am 49 and going to college probably not on the cards for a degree )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search