The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gear Required to Create 1980's Instructional Video Look
Old 30th December 2018
Here for the gear

Gear Required to Create 1980's Instructional Video Look

Hello All,

I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum to post general video related gear purchasing advice; however, I haven't found a forum on the web wherein others have posed a similar question.

I would like to create a video for a project I'm working on that recreates the appearance and vibe of a 1980's Instructional Video - examples:

I have a newer model MacBook with Final Cut Pro, and will be buying either HitFilm 4 Pro, or a subscription to Adobe After Effects for this project. I assume that I at least have the editing part squared away?

Deciding what type of video camera to purchase, however, has left me undecided - this being where I need the most advice.

I am considering the following options - hoping to spend less than $500. I would greatly appreciate everyone's input and/or alternate suggestions:

Option 1: Buy a vintage VHS camcorder on eBay or Craigslist.

Pros of Option 1: Many on eBay/Craigslist are under $100.

Cons of Option 1: I do not know anything about vintage camcorder maintenance, nor is there a facility close to my location that offers repair services. Also, it appears that transferring VHS recordings to a computer for editing requires buying an adaptor, with possible unforeseen issues relating to compatibility.

Option 2: Buy a new consumer grade camcorder.

Pros of Option 2: I know it will work, have a warranty, and be compatible with my computer/software.

Cons of Option 2: May require a lot more work to obtain that true "80's" look?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search