The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any video editors here? Advice on software
Old 7th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Any video editors here? Advice on software

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone here knew if i could use iMovie in a way that it doesn't move my clips around automatically. The way it currently works, if everything is timed up to audio then i decide to remove a clip it will pull everything from the right to the left to 'join' up the clips but i don't want it to!!?

If that doesn't make sense, then my next question is, does anyone know an open source alternative to premiere pro?
Old 7th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoswho? View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone here knew if i could use iMovie in a way that it doesn't move my clips around automatically. The way it currently works, if everything is timed up to audio then i decide to remove a clip it will pull everything from the right to the left to 'join' up the clips but i don't want it to!!?

If that doesn't make sense, then my next question is, does anyone know an open source alternative to premiere pro?
I'm not an iMovie/Apple guy but at least this will bump your thread and someone more clued into that platform may have your answer, but...

This seems like a setting iMovie would let you change.

In the Windows vid editor I use (Sony's Movie Studio Platinum [a reasonably priced consumer version of their Vegas software), you change settings like this -- which they call 'ripple' -- from the Options menu (other locations might be 'preferences' or 'settings' depending on the software).
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

A slightly steeper learning curve than iMovie, but Davinci Resolve might work for you... https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...davinciresolve

The base version is free.
---
c
Old 8th April 2016
Gear Maniac

I'm come across blender and Kdenlive, not sure which is better suited.

Also, seems that the iMovie thing is called 'ripple editing' and can only temporarily be turned off while hold CMD or something which is a bit of a pain.
Old 8th April 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks, I'll give it a try, downloading now. I find iMovie OK, but a bit limiting.
Old 8th April 2016
Resolve is pretty amazing for free.
I've found it has quite a steep learning curve. Also it started out as a grading program and only in the last couple of years became editing software.
Other than that I've only used FCPX, which i find easy-peasy.
Old 9th April 2016
Gear Addict

Adobe premiere pro.

I've used a lot and they all have pros and cons.. some things in premiere pro are kind of stupid like not being able to click and drag to zoom , instead having to use keyboard shortcuts.. but like I said each program has its advantages and I find premiere pro is well balanced and has a pretty efficient workflow.

So why do u want to avoid it?? It's cheap and has tons of support and tutorials out there.
Old 10th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoswho? View Post
Do you mean "free"?

If you have a computer that can handle it, the free version of the DaVinci software is probably the thing for you.

There's always Adobe Premiere Elements, if you don't want to spend much. There's lots of other quite inexpensive video editing software out there.

I've used Cyberlink PowerDirector 12, and I thought it was pretty good for my purposes. I just got the PowerDirector 14/ColorDirector 4 70% off deal (dirt cheap), but I've only tried it a bit so far as I'm still working on the music for my film. The thing has VST implementation now, and the noise removal thing has helped a lot too. Haven't done any video editing yet, and haven't even opened ColorDirector yet, so I can't comment on those. I'd have been fine sticking with the older version of PowerDirector, but what enticed me was that it included their colour grading software (ColorDirector). Colour grading is kind of the next level for me.
Old 10th April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Resolve is pretty amazing for free.
I've found it has quite a steep learning curve. Also it started out as a grading program and only in the last couple of years became editing software.
Other than that I've only used FCPX, which i find easy-peasy.
What do you consider to be contributing to the steeper learning curve on Resolve, and is that coming from other NLEs or is it speaking as an audio engineer?
Old 10th April 2016
I'm a musician, not audio engineer.
Anyway, it started out as grading software. That is still it's focus, although they've added editing and are now competing with FCPX.
It's not really about me. You see people on the Blackmagic forums struggling with Resolve - mainly the grading side.
Colour grading is a skill, a skill most people don't find intuitive.
Grading used to be the preserve of professional graders. Now we are doing it ourselves.
I guess like audio mastering, there are more things you can do when grading (and mastering) to destroy your end product than improve it - especially if you don't really know what you are doing.
Resolve is definitely easier now than it was a couple of years ago.
Old 10th April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm a musician, not audio engineer.
Anyway, it started out as grading software. That is still it's focus, although they've added editing and are now competing with FCPX.
It's not really about me. You see people on the Blackmagic forums struggling with Resolve - mainly the grading side.
Colour grading is a skill, a skill most people don't find intuitive.
Grading used to be the preserve of professional graders. Now we are doing it ourselves.
I guess like audio mastering, there are more things you can do when grading (and mastering) to destroy your end product than improve it - especially if you don't really know what you are doing.
Resolve is definitely easier now than it was a couple of years ago.
Ok, I think I see what you mean.
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Do you mean "free"?

If you have a computer that can handle it, the free version of the DaVinci software is probably the thing for you.

There's always Adobe Premiere Elements, if you don't want to spend much. There's lots of other quite inexpensive video editing software out there.

I've used Cyberlink PowerDirector 12, and I thought it was pretty good for my purposes. I just got the PowerDirector 14/ColorDirector 4 70% off deal (dirt cheap), but I've only tried it a bit so far as I'm still working on the music for my film. The thing has VST implementation now, and the noise removal thing has helped a lot too. Haven't done any video editing yet, and haven't even opened ColorDirector yet, so I can't comment on those. I'd have been fine sticking with the older version of PowerDirector, but what enticed me was that it included their colour grading software (ColorDirector). Colour grading is kind of the next level for me.
I want to say adobe premiere pro is only 10 to 20 dollars a month for Adobe cloud.. if ur looking to cut a video or two you could literally stop the payment after a month.. hard to beat that price point for what u get
Old 12th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrecording View Post
I want to say adobe premiere pro is only 10 to 20 dollars a month for Adobe cloud.. if ur looking to cut a video or two you could literally stop the payment after a month.. hard to beat that price point for what u get
Actually, when you look at it that way, it's an insanely good price for what you get.

But really- once you've made one video, you want to make more. It's just as fun as audio recording.
Old 12th April 2016
Just to repeat....
Davinci Resolve is free.
Old 12th April 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just to repeat....
Davinci Resolve is free.
Hard to beat that price...
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy the Adobe stuff but I thought there's so much half decent open source software out now it would be worth trying.

Will give resolve a go first though, thanks!
Old 14th April 2016
Resolve is more than decent and the free version is 95% of the full blown professional product.
Old 16th January 2017
Vegas 14 is AMAZING! I would highly recommend it.
Old 17th January 2017
my 3 platforms for picture editorial are
1. Adobe Premier / AE
2. AVID
3. FCP ( I really don't like FCP but sometimes I have indie clients that want work done to existing projects )

I use Protools exclusively for Post Sound work, and Logic for music composition.

I use Cinema 4D for CGI ( with Real Flow, Turbulence FD, X-Particles and other 3rd party plugins for CGI/VFC ) w/AE for compositing.
Old 17th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
my 3 platforms for picture editorial are
1. Adobe Premier / AE
2. AVID
3. FCP ( I really don't like FCP but sometimes I have indie clients that want work done to existing projects )

I use Protools exclusively for Post Sound work, and Logic for music composition.

I use Cinema 4D for CGI ( with Real Flow, Turbulence FD, X-Particles and other 3rd party plugins for CGI/VFC ) w/AE for compositing.
Adobe Premier - Mac and PC
Vegas 14 - PC
FCP -Mac

Vegas 14 is suppose to be Mac compatible with in a year. I will wait and see.
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Any of these programs allow the use of Plugins for audio?
Old 2nd August 2017
Most I would think. Certainly the new version of Resolve.
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

I meant using my own plugins. Sony movie maker used to allow VST plugins. Resolve looks great. It says it has fairlight plugins.
Old 2nd August 2017
From the Resolve 14 product page:
'Add 3rd party VST plug ins for even more creative options! You can get real time processing performance for up to 6 plug ins per track!'
Old 2nd August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
From the Resolve 14 product page:
'Add 3rd party VST plug ins for even more creative options! You can get real time processing performance for up to 6 plug ins per track!'
Even in the free version? That's great!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search