The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mic for Video
Old 7th March 2016
Here for the gear

Question Mic for Video

Hi all,

My wife and I are giving up life in the UK to go travelling for a couple of years.
I would like to document this as best as possible and would like to do a vlog for all our friends and family back home.

I have a Hero 4 for filming and would like to find the most suitable external mic, that I can afford. I have looked at the Rode VideoMic Pro or the Sennheiser MKE400 and they seem like they would do the job ok, but when I look online for more advanced setups I can't find any.

I realise that the go pro is not the best camera to get good audio from, but for travelling ticks all the other boxes. I wondered if I could add a preamp or line mixer to boost the signal and make manual adjustments. Ideally, I would also like to be able to monitor on headphones.

I had considered using my Tascam DR40, but we want to travel light and will not always have the option of overlaying an audio track either.

Any advice, thoughts or opinions on this idea would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all!
Old 12th March 2016
A tough choice, I am sure you realize that the audio is not going to be the best even if you use an external microphone. The GoPros are not known for GREAT audio but they are OK for voices and catching location sounds. I guess I would go for an all in one microphone like the ones you have suggested. The best option would be a separate audio unit but for reason you alluded to probably is not going to work for you,

Best of luck!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search