The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Discussion Highlights

Are preamps (that) important to record synths ?

...and EQs feeding an Xpressor for a stereo front end along with a Culture Vulture. I still have a UA LA-610 MKII for my actual mic and for tracking guitar. It turned out that my $7000 front end was basically superfluous on my nice synths and that I only really wanted to use them...

View Post

Differences in the LA-610's comp and standalone LA2A

...your friend. Although I use la2a plugins, I have limited experience with the hardware la2a but the compressor in the la 610 mkii is in the ballpark and does a great job with many different sources.

View Post

LA-610 improvement

Got very excited about the mod for my UA LA-610 MkII so I went ahead and purchase 2 Electro Harmonic ECC82 s gold. They didn’t even light up (?) .... Plugged the original tubes right back in a hurry and whew... they worked.! at least they do that. This reminds me of my 6922...

View Post

Video Guides

Product Description

The Universal Audio LA-610 MkII Microphone Preamp & LA-2A-Style Compressor/Limiter combines an all-tube, vintage mic preamp design heard on classic albums ranging from The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds to Van Halen I with authentic Teletronix T4 opto-compression circuitry. This classic channel strip design, with its warm preamp tone and smooth, natural-sounding compression, is updated with modern, user-requested features like true compressor bypass, larger metering, increased output and an auto-switching power supply. The LA-610 MkII also boasts much lower noise specs versus vintage models. Elegant and highly popular "Black on Black" cosmetics complete the package. The LA-610 MkII is based on the legendary console modules developed by Bill Putnam in the 60's. After the preamp section, the LA-610 MkII offers the T4 optical compressor. The simple operation and program-dependent nature of the LA-610 T4 compressor provides the same extremely musical control that has made the LA-2A such a well-loved classic for more than 40 years. The electro-optical detector or "T4 cell," is the heart and soul of the Teletronix LA-2A. Its unique combination of electro-luminescent panel and photo-resistors are the crucial circuit components, giving the compressor its signature sound.