The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First Impressions/User Notes about LUNA
Old 24th April 2020
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestarfire View Post
I appreciate your achievements and experience in the industry. I also agree with you that it would be pointless to hire a session player and then fully automate the edits of their performance - drums or otherwise.


Are you affiliated with them in anyway?
Absolutely not. I'm a full price paying customer. The reality is, the other thread became a dumping ground for anyone with a grievance against UA.
Sorry, you are wrong about 'Nikoli'. I already stated in that thread I quantise my keyboard performances because I'm not a keyboard player and I'm making the (more machine like) techno music. I specifically and initially said - don't ever quantise a real drum performance. I said absolutely nothing along the lines of 'don't ever quantise'.
Instead of seeking to clarify, he just knee jerked "you give the worst advice", then doubled down by saying he wouldn't respect advice from Vinnie Colaiuta not to quantise real drum performances.

Ryan? Maybe....
In a topic that became dominated by people finding more and more ways to slam UA on every level, I don't think 'conjecture' on how they sought to 'profit' from the current virus crisis was helpful (to say the least). 1) it's conjecture, and 2) it shines a negative light.
The very simple fact is, many of us kept nagging UA to release Luna ASAP, because we were sat at home with time on our hands.
I have posted links to UA resisting this idea several times.
When they finally relented, they DID say, please be gentle with us, as we are releasing it early as requested. And of course many people piled on about how buggy it supposedly was, how it was a terrible daw, etc, etc...
I just felt sorry for them.
My copy hasn't been buggy, and I have been using it for ten days now on a commercial release without having spent a single cent on UAD software.
It's just about being balanced and fair.
Old 24th April 2020
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestarfire View Post
I appreciate your wanting to be balanced and fair. That’s usually my motivation for posting. It is frustrating seeing companies or people get unfairly lambasted on this site. It’s usually because people are intentionally trolling or the discussion lacks people willing to be objective or people lack critical thinking skills.

I find myself mostly trying to be objective and often defending companies and people against asshat posts.

In the case of UA I find myself defending the consumer. I get many people don’t see it or feel like UA is being attacked but I have watched UA do some pretty lame sht over the last 6 months and it seems to me they clearly lack corporate ethics and don’t much care about doing the right thing.

My journey with them started in a thread when I was generally curious about their products as I was considering buying into their ecosystem. Each time I considered buying in over the last 3-4 years I couldn’t pull the trigger because it’s seemed off to me to be contemplating spending thousands of dollars to buy into tech that was so outdated. Its a matter of fact they have not updated their core technology in over a decade. I get that many people don’t care about this but to me it seemed wierd to pay that much money to buy into something that was already obsolete.

So I started asking around why this was they case because I was trying to decide weather to buy us in or not. I have never gotten an answer regarding why they don’t upgrade their processing. Just a few pompous remarks or bs blow offs. The fan boys come swooping in with the processors don’t matter argument. Maybe not to their workflow but I’m not spending 4-5k on some outdated plugin tech that’s already obsolete by over half a decade.

I have since watched them lie or overhype by ridiculous measure consistently in their marketing. Mainly claiming zero latency when the truth is it’s low latency. The built in Neve summing is not a lie but it is misleading semantics. Their rep lied directly in his recent posts on their censoring of reviews on their site. He claimed it didn’t happen and he has been proven Wrong three times now. His last link that he posited claiming to show negative reviews has since been sanitized as well.

When he got called out at the Luna release for them lying about the zero latency he responded with a flippant response that the marketing guys are just so passionate that they can’t be reigned in to tell the truth. His response was epically lame when being called out on it. Kind of makes me want to go find it but it’s a long dumpy thread

They also released this product with so much fanfare and hype about how revolutionary it is when it’s just not that much of anything. So it pisses me off when companies lie, overhype, and censor reviews on their site to pedal outdated shtty products. Probably for the same reasons you want to defend them - out of a sense of balance and what’s right. In this case when you mislead people into buying your lackluster products it’s that deception I feel needs to be called out.

You would think the products will ultimately speak for themselves but the hype they spin and their past reputation for quality has carried them a long way. I think we are nearing the end of that era. I can’t see Luna capturing any significant market share due to its significant list of shortcomings and limitations.

It would be great if they learn something from this launch and dial back the bs overhype false marketing tactics. Possibly stop censoring the reviews on their site? I’m not optimistic - these types of behaviors are usually cultural and systemic through an organization. If you make excellent products and market them honestly you don’t have to censor negative reviews because you are not starting at the end of the track.

Their is a bit of hope in their latest videos you see them catching themselves now when they say zero latency - you can see how ingrained it is in them to say zero latency but now they will sometimes correct themselves and say near zero latency. It really should just be low latency but every company has low latency so what fun would it be to try and hype that.

So, in summary you have no first impressions to post on this "First Impressions" thread.
Old 24th April 2020
  #33
Gear Nut
 

I'm such a long time Logic Pro user that I was / have been very skeptical about Luna. Also, I personally find Console a bit slow / sluggish GUI wise, so, again, was skeptical.... But, I'm a huge UAD fan so... finally dove in.

While I have no plans to use it creatively to start a track etc (i'm too fast in logic and it has a ways to go) I just tried stemming out a song I'd done in Logic, importing into Luna, and simply rebalancing / mixing it with the neve summing and the studer tape... And let me tell you, not only is it fun, it's really musical... sounds really great. Whatever the neve summing is doing, regardless of whats' going on, it sounds pretty amazing. Also, simply having the tape built in, with the EQ points (for the studer) is super fun / fast at dialling in some subtle eq / enhancements without having to open a plugin.

I absolutely think I will be using LUNA to stem mix / finalize once a track is done. Its just a new experience that feels more exciting and rewarding (workflow and musicality wise) than anything i've tried yet in the box.

Cool.
Old 24th April 2020
  #34
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoobysnax View Post
I just tried stemming out a song I'd done in Logic, importing into Luna, and simply rebalancing / mixing it with the neve summing and the studer tape... And let me tell you, not only is it fun, it's really musical... sounds really great. Whatever the neve summing is doing, regardless of whats' going on, it sounds pretty amazing. Also, simply having the tape built in, with the EQ points (for the studer) is super fun / fast at dialling in some subtle eq / enhancements without having to open a plugin.
Thanks stoobysnax for taking the time.

Glad you're liking the sonics inside LUNA. Be sure to revisit starting productions in LUNA as we add features, there might be a tipping point where we have what you need to be in it full-time.
Old 24th April 2020
  #35
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Thanks stoobysnax for taking the time.

Glad you're liking the sonics inside LUNA. Be sure to revisit starting productions in LUNA as we add features, there might be a tipping point where we have what you need to be in it full-time.
That would be great but, I’m so deep in logic with so many presets and samples in the exs etc etc, it would take a lot to bump me from LPx. And I’m not really wanting to change. But I’m open to it.

But, as I mentioned above, as a stem mixing engine it’s pretty amazing.
Old 24th April 2020
  #36
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoobysnax View Post
But I’m open to it.
That's all we'd ever ask.
Old 25th April 2020
  #37
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Thanks stoobysnax for taking the time.

Glad you're liking the sonics inside LUNA. Be sure to revisit starting productions in LUNA as we add features, there might be a tipping point where we have what you need to be in it full-time.
Ok, so I am working on this solo project that is super simple live piano, 808, and juno 60... Tried one song yesterday in Luna from scratch. And I really enjoyed it for that process as well (getting sounds dialed without console etc) The editing seems cumbersome and i'm not use to it, but the Mixdown feature is really nice. So i just got a quick sound i liked with the tape and neve summing, then bounced out those and imported into Logic for some quick editing / finalizing. So kinda the opposite of what i did the day before.

Anyways, if Luna can get the editing and the midi workflow dialed, ya, i could see using it exclusively for simpler tracking projects like this. It's definitely nice, after 17 years on one DAW, to have something new that's inspiring and sounds so great. So thanks UA for developing this, I'm sure as you update it with fixes and features over the upcoming months / years it's just going to get better and better. And anyways, in the meantime, I think i will be using it a lot, in conjunction with Logic.
Old 27th April 2020
  #38
Lives for gear
 
PMoshay's Avatar
 

Once you experience the way your tracks have more depth and punch, it’s impossible for me to ignore using this as my daily daw.
For me it’s about the depth of sound quality, and that’s something that every UA user has already found out like me, that’s why i use UA plugs & hardware.

It’s V1 software and it’s an amazing start! I am going to send my requests for updates as I suggest you all should do as well...... no company has ever been more responsive to it users than UA! (In my opinion)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE submit your wishes for the next versions so this platform can become the best of the best for us all.
With all our input (and the geniuses at UA) I think we can have our dream daw!
This is only a beginning for Luna, and a great one to boot!

Kudos UA team!
Old 27th April 2020
  #39
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Sweet!

Thanks for the feedback Pete.
Old 27th April 2020
  #40
Here for the gear
No pdf manual

I'm staring at a 375 page pdf with the cover page Luna User Documentation v200407 ... ?
Old 30th April 2020
  #41
Loving the ability to mix down separate stems and mixes so easily.

I dod comment in the feedback that the selected tracks should be saved in a session as you are likely to want to do the same thing based on your workflow. This will also need to be savable in templates when they kick in.

It also helps me right now stuck at home in lockdown using headphones only. I can put Sonarworks on the main out and monitor through it but still bounce my mixbus without having it impact. When I was using Logic I was forever forgetting to turn off Sonarworks and having the "doh!" moment
Old 1st May 2020
  #42
Gear Nut
 

How do the midi features compare to Pro Tools? .... Don't need Logic level midi but as good as PT would be good.
Old 5th May 2020
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Surprises View Post
How do the midi features compare to Pro Tools? .... Don't need Logic level midi but as good as PT would be good.
PT gets a bad wrap for MIDI, but Avid has made improvements in recent years. It's still not Logic or Cubase, but it is better. LUNA has a ways to go IMO - it has the basic stuff, but still missing things - and I can't stand just having an in-place editor vs. a dedicated full screen editor.
Old 9th May 2020
  #44
Gear Head
 

I'm attempting to mix an entire album in LUNA right now for a singer/songwriter. We recorded mostly in Logic Pro with my BURL converters and were going to mix in Logic. When NYC shut everything down in March I packed up my studio and brought some of it home but didn't have room for the Burl, patchbay, monitor controller, etc so as an experiment I bounced dry stems out from Logic into Luna and was pleasantly surprised (as some other slutz have described) to hear a very nice sound coming at me - from my little ARROW of all things. So we're finishing the album in LUNA. Blind taste test of LPX mixes (summed out via Burl into Dangerous 2 Bus and back into Burl) in some cases were beat out by the LUNA mixes. Mostly I'm really enjoying it. Put oxide or studer and neve summing on everything and it just sounds nice. I love how simple it is; they really succeeded at the "sit down at a console and make music" aesthetic. Contrary to many reports I do not find it excessively buggy, quite the opposite. It feels lighter and zippier than PT Ultimate or LPX. For a V1 it's quite good and I'm excited for the potential. Are the LUNA mixes better because it sounds better or does the simplified workflow make you mix "better?" Who knows. But for the first time in a while I feel like I am making music and not arguing with the DAW. Of course there are needs. I'd love:

Ability to group edit drums (or any multi-mic recording) - I went back to Logic to do this.
Ability to time correct said groups in a phase-locked manner. The warps sound good- better than LPX, but need a way to just select all and quantize.
More sophisticated pitch correction (headed over to melodyne for that)
Neve summing should be free if you own the neve bundle or a cheap upgrade.
MIDI is sluggish for me despite many different attempts to solve it, but really I don't care, this is mostly an audio project.
Many have said video support is a must, I feel like this isn't the tool for film scoring.
You quickly realize how much you used the Logic stock plugins for quick & dirty stuff. You have the Apple AU stuff instead.

So I will say THANK YOU to UAD for a free product that has helped me keep some sanity and even brought happiness in an otherwise horrendous time. It takes me back to the fun feeling of making bedroom recordings on a portastudio back in high school.
Old 11th May 2020
  #45
Similar experience.
I love the simplicity.
I haven't found it buggy AT ALL.
Yes, some more simple, low footprint plug-ins would be great.
I need lo-pass and hi-pass filtering, but prefer not to load a cpu taxing EQ or channel strip to do that.
Old 11th May 2020
  #46
Gear Nut
 
yorgos's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Similar experience.
I love the simplicity.
I haven't found it buggy AT ALL.
Yes, some more simple, low footprint plug-ins would be great.
I need lo-pass and hi-pass filtering, but prefer not to load a cpu taxing EQ or channel strip to do that.
Isn't UAD Precision Channel Strip any good? Just for tracking.
Old 12th May 2020
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
Isn't UAD Precision Channel Strip any good? Just for tracking.
Very capable plug-in, I mix with it quite often. Should be okay for basic tracking, perhaps after a "mojo" plug like the Neve preamp. The Cambridge EQ also gets a ton of use here.

The Precision CS and the Cambridge are nothing fancy when compared to today's native stuff, no bells or whistles, but they are very precise, good sounding (imo) and easy on the DSP, which always helps.
Old 12th May 2020
  #48
Had a tough day yesterday when I quit LUNA with Command+Q.
Then the whole computer crashed and screen went black and eventually black and white flickery(old school tv).
Couldnt restart. Panic....
A few hours later I reset NVRAM a couple of times. Reset my Apollo. computer started but no sound in my Apollo outputs. Nothing in Logic, LUNA or Spotify.
Then after a few hours of back and forth I watched the Console I/O and found that the settings where all wrong. No X4 preset in the I/O. The same in LUNA. So I just fixed that and it went back to normal again. pheeew.

Last edited by mattias78; 12th May 2020 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 3 weeks ago
  #49
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
After the first day with Luna my iniital complaints are:
No MP3 export, no time code counter, & no 'shuffle' command feature (at least that I can find). For me the lack of MP3 export & time code counter makes Luna a hobby platform for music production and not a daily use DAW in a professional environment.

V2 should have at least one of these addressed. MP3 may be a cost prohibitive feature due to royalties (not sure if that's still in play though) but the lack of MP3 export is a PITA. Time Code counter is a must if Video Import is going to be used...btw: IS Video import even doable on Luna?

Now, if Pro Tools would just add a 'dark' feature the planets would all align.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #50
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
no 'shuffle' command feature (at least that I can find).
Look in the Manual for "Shift" workflows.

Basically, you can add Shift to Cut/Paste/Insert etc for Shuffle like workflows.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #51
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
is there a way to make the grid lines bolder/more visible?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #52
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
is there a way to make the grid lines bolder/more visible?
Not in V1, but please submit as Feedback inside LUNA so the teams hears your voice.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump