The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Description

One of the pillars of the ‘British sound’ of the early 1970s was Trident Studios in London. Filled with brilliant engineers and cutting-edge gear, it was to go-to place for many of the top bands of the day. Starting with the Beatles, who relished the ability to record in 8 tracks (when Abbey Road still only had 4 track), a steady stream of rock stars came through the door. David Bowie in his Aladdin Sane/Hunky Dory/Space Oddity period; Queen and their first few albums; Jeff Beck, Supertramp, James Taylor and many more. Wanting to remain at the forefront of technology, Trident studios looked in a vain for a manufacturer to make them a custom console. But why ask someone to do something when you can do it for yourself? And thus Malcolm Toft and Barry Porter, the in house engineers of Trident, came up with their own console, dubbed the ‘A Range’. Only a baker’s dozen of these legendary consoles were made, and as the years went by Trident continually innovated with a long line of further consoles, including the famous 80 Series, which debuted in 1980 shortly before the original Trident closed its doors. Following on the heels of this successful console was the model 80B in 1983, a classic 'split design' console set up in a standard configuration of 32 x 24 x 24 with 5 aux per channel. The 80B remains in favor with engineers the world over for its signature sound. In fact, the sound of the mic pre/EQs on the 80B were so good, Trident still makes them available as a stand-alone unit that gives you a pair of these channel strips in a rack mount configuration. But why settle for a racked pair when you can have the original 80B, a console that gives you a lot of British bang for the buck.

Discussions

New Toft console coming...

...longer on the top, this makes the console even more compact. The EQ and Aux sends are the same. True Trident 80B EQ. The master section is improved as well with alternative speaker switch and more... Of course the subgroups are now 8, so you get in a very small package 56 inputs to mix...

View Post

UAD Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Collection with Unison™ technology

...the years because your ears get used to it, but after the recap it has the bite back. My old Trident 80B console had 1/2 of the channels modded and 1/2 stock so i could just choose what tonal quality i wanted. I'm truly amazed how UA has really captured all the classic gear so...

View Post

Recommend a cheap hardware eq

...so I guess it has to be relative. A 500 series that get a lot of praise here is the trident 80b. $399 new and comes up used every once in a while. Honestly, I haven’t used one, but I really like the clipilator samples. It’s top my list for eq when I need one....

View Post

Reviews

Nobody has reviewed this product yet. Have an opinion?