The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RIP Tom Petty
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Loved that dude... Rip
Old 2 weeks ago
Engagement Manager

RIP Mr. Petty
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Great songwriter.

Some writers set the bar at a height which others aim for (and few ever reach)

Tom Petty set the bar as high as any of the greats.

"Free Falling" to me is an example of the perfect song.

Sad news, gone way way too young.

Tom Petty - thank you for your great music.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

RIP Tom :(
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Sad beyond words... R.I.P.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

yeah, sheriff's dept made it real this morning !!! a Legend !!! and a nice guy !!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We truly live in a new Media (dis) reality.

They sell the news with out any human care or comfort.

Trying to find out who died on the internet is often unsettling , with all the cash cows and money making sales on HEADLINES.

I couldn't find out anything on Tom yesterday , it was a joke trying to get some real news , because all the networks jumped on this and started to sell the story early.

I have no respect for our Media world today.

It is a criminal act of complete fraudulence (politically and otherwise!)

R.I.P. Tom Petty!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I am so sad. More than i could have ever imagined.
Saw him live at Cologne in June 2012. Row 4, seat 6. Real close. First concert in Germany since 20 years. And sadly the last ever.
There he confirmend his honesty to all what i had listen to over so many years. R.I.P. Tom Petty. Thank you for all the songs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear doesn't kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Great songwriter.

Some writers set the bar at a height which others aim for (and few ever reach)

Tom Petty set the bar as high as any of the greats.

Sad news, gone way way too young.

Tom Petty - thank you for your great music.
+1 His knack for finding a classic melody in the same 3 chords everyone else was using, was at a level I don't think anyone else has ever quite reached. Not only that, his tunes didn't generally require a huge octave-spanning range to sing, yet didn't feel restricted, small or boring. The guy was a straight-up genius.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

The great songs that endure are the songs that make people want to sing along.

And Tom wrote a lot of those!
Old 2 weeks ago
I was fortunate enough to work on the Classic Album series for Damn the Torpedoes with Mr. Petty. I was too nervous to talk to him but he came up to me and started talking to me about audio. He would constantly switch between E cigs and real ones. I asked “Weren’t you smoking E cigs a second ago?” He said “yeah, my wife and I go back and forth between them” He was the coolest and was a true gentleman. Such a bummer
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This sucks... I have never been a huge Tom Petty fan, but I like pretty much everything I've heard from him. I started working on an album of my songs at the beginning of the year and knew I was going to have to play drums on it. Being a horrible drummer, I started digging around for references of songs with simple and repetitive drums parts that seem memorable. One of the first songs to pop in my head was "You Don't Know How It Feels", it's a perfect example and has been playing on a loop in my head all year as I work on stuff. Subsequently, I got a lot more into Petty this year and started to marvel at his use of space in his arrangements.

At any rate, I figured I should go ahead and do a cover of one of his songs today. I just don't have any more time to work on it and wanted to finish it. I didn't get to the guitar solos and a few other things, but it was a fun little project and I learned a lot from it!

Attached Files

You Don't Know How It Feels.mp3 (11.02 MB, 525 views)

Last edited by andersmv; 1 week ago at 04:25 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

WTF? He wasn't even "old" yet.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Saw Tom Petty with my daughter at the Kaboo music festival in San Diego last month. They put on a great show. We enjoyed the stories he told between songs almost as much as the music.

Here's a cool pics from Kaboo - one of his last shows:

He's off to the great wide open now.
Old 1 week ago
R.I.P. Mr. Tom Petty

Love your songs !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ground Control to Major Tom, check ignition and may God's love be with you.
Light
Temple
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Last night on SNL they replaced the usual Baldwin open with Jason Aldean covering "I Won't Back Down." The look in Aldean's eyes was oddly remote. I think it might have been because he was concentrating so hard on applying the requisite Redneck Elocution to unfamiliar material:

No, I'll stand my gray-ownd
Won't be turned a-ray-ownd
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me day-own
Gonna stand my gray-ownd
And I won't back day-own

Or maybe he was just processing a big sandwich. New York deli can be tough on you if you're not used to it.

Anyway, last night was when it really hit me. How much I appreciate Tom and how much I'm gonna miss him.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Last night on SNL they replaced the usual Baldwin open with Jason Aldean covering "I Won't Back Down."
I saw it and it was pathetic. Too soon? Anytime would have been too soon for that mess. How disrespectful to butcher Tom's song like that while we are still mourning him.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

R.I.P
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
RIP Tom Petty
Thanks for the great music and inspiration.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I saw it and it was pathetic. Too soon? Anytime would have been too soon for that mess.
Agreed. But the grand prize for "too soon" will always belong to Gilbert Gottfried at the Hefner roast.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Almost perfect. Nobody in Reseda has a freeway running through their yard. :-)
Old 1 week ago
kdp
Lives for gear

I never heard of this Andean guy before the LV tragedy. Sorry bout what he went through.

But please..........Tom Petty deserves so much better.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

These two knew each other since the early 80's. Both dead now since Garry died last year, also 66. But this is how I like to remember them.

And you get to see what Tom's place is like... and how casual/low-key they both were... it was a 20 minute clip Garry did with Tom back in 2007... end of video, words written by Garry say 'I LOVE YOU TOM'... couple quotes:

Quote:
Garry - life is short... but not short enough...
Quote:
Tom - i don't meditate any more cuz you're not supposed to do it if you're stoned
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post

These two knew each other since the early 80's. Both dead now since Garry died last year, also 66. But this is how I like to remember them.

And you get to see what Tom's place is like... and how casual/low-key they both were... it was a 20 minute clip Garry did with Tom back in 2007... end of video, words written by Garry say 'I LOVE YOU TOM'... couple quotes:

Awesome!

I only wish that Tom hadn't smoked so much, perhaps he would still be with us.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Saw him the first - and unfortunately last - time in June at Arroyo Seco in Pasadena. Flew over from Germany with my dad and I'm so glad I did. This is the death of a musician that hit me the hardest so far. Sad times!
Robwood, thanx for that video!!!
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search