The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chuck Berry RIP. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Chuck Berry

Chuck Berry, the singer, songwriter and guitar great who practically defined rock music with his impeccably twangy hits as "Maybellene," "Roll Over Beethoven," "Memphis," "My Ding-a-Ling" and "Sweet Little Sixteen," has died. He was 90.
The singer/songwriter, whose classic "Johnny B. Goode" was chosen by Carl Sagan to be included on the golden record of Earth Sounds and Music launched with Voyager in 1977, died Saturday afternoon, St. Charles County Police Department confirmed. The cause of death was not revealed.
Police responded to an emergency call at approximately 12:40 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Old 18th March 2017
Old 18th March 2017
Gear doesn't kill people.

Chuck Berry RIP

Duckwalking at the Great Gig in the Sky. RIP.
Old 18th March 2017
Old 18th March 2017
Hail Hail rock n roll!
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear
Phenomenal artist. One of the greatest songwriters and lyricists.
R.I.P Maestro and thanks for the music and inspiration.

Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

He played at Hunter College back in the 70's.

I did not know what 'ding-a-ling' meant.

~HW
Old 18th March 2017
RIP to another music legend.

Very sad news.

R.
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
He played at Hunter College back in the 70's.

I did not know what 'ding-a-ling' meant. ~HW
Oh.. i knew alright but wtf was a vestibule
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

To the Grandfather of the most copied guitar riff in the world. Thank you for a lifetime of enthusiastic melodies, riffs, lyrics & showmanship! It simply would have never been the same had you never come along. The entire Rock n Roll world is forever in debt to you. Rest in Peace, Sire. Our hearts are heavy but proud for you.

Last edited by Analok; 19th March 2017 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: Gramar
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Maniac

A sad day.

RIP Mr. Berry.
Old 19th March 2017
RIP, Mr Berry.

Some wonderful songs. Listening to "Memphis" right now, in fact. Such a great, great song.
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

RIP...Most influential rock guitarist of all time
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiT View Post
Time to have a drink of beer just for the sake of spitting it back out as a response to this comment
Prolly not the time to write disrespectful things... Show some class
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear

and, even at age 90, he was still recording, and i would guess what he had on the new album he was working on, "Chuck", will be released at some point.
Old 19th March 2017
Was listening to Chuck just a couple of nights ago.

I'm hurting.

Chuck Berry .. R.I.P.
Old 19th March 2017
Engagement Manager

RIP Mr. Berry
Old 19th March 2017
Lives for gear
R.I.P. Mr. Chuck Berry. Real king of rock music. (Real kings dont play Las Vegas.)

From Huffington Post:

"... but Chuck Berry came back on stage and tried again.

And just as he did that, somewhere, hurling out in the farthest regions of space, way beyond any known galaxy—the well known story goes—the space capsule sent from our planet out to the heavens in about 1960; that space capsule reached its destination.

The people of that faraway planet opened it up, saw everything we had stuffed inside. The holy texts of the world’s great religions, some equations scribbled by Einstein, a Picasso, a volume of Romeo and Juliet, a Bach Cantata, a Vonnegut book, Keith Jarrett and Duke Ellington recorded, penicillin and the polio vaccine.

There was more. There were items that showcased us at our best.

But the last item was a plastic disc. An old 45 rpm record. Our brothers and sisters, being way beyond us, immediately knew how to make sound come from this “45.” It was a Chuck Berry record.

And those people from that faraway planet listened. Then they wrote a 4 word reply. Stuffed it in the capsule and sent it hurtling out to find us.

It should be here any moment.

What was their four-word response?

Send more Chuck Berry."
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Oh.. i knew alright but wtf was a vestibule
I know what a vestibule is. But where's The Kokomo?

By itself, the beginning of "No Particular Place to Go" would have been enough to make his mark.

But my totally favorite Chuck Berry thing is the conceit behind "Roll Over Beethoven." The idea that not only is rock 'n' roll making the musical grampaws turn over in their graves, the reason they're doing it is to spread the (terrible) news. Absolute genius.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 19th March 2017 at 05:05 PM..
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Nut

Attached Thumbnails
Chuck Berry RIP.-chuckster.jpg  
Old 19th March 2017
Gear Nut
Old 19th March 2017
Gear doesn't kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
RiP Chuck Berry

Best Story ive heard about him is from Dave Edmunds about him an John Entwistle...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDrFYiaGREw

Just priceless!
Best story I heard was from a friend who toured with him and is probably not printable here... And there's a few others that come close.
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Guru

Hearing lots of Chuck on the radio today, brought up another reason to appreciate.

On things like Nadine and Run Run Rudolph, the groove sits in this wonderful place that's right between straight 4 and shuffle. Maybe because everyone else is playing 4 and Johnnie on piano is playing shuffle. Obliviously or not -- who knows?

At any rate, it's great. And if Chuck and Johnnie hadn't done it, maybe Woody and Keith wouldn't have, either.
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Maniac
One of my most treasure memories is of one balmy summer night when my now wife got dragged up on stage to dance with Chuck Berry whilst he ripped out some of his biggest hits.

We ended up backstage where I also got to meet and spend a little time with another of my heroes, Jerry Lee Lewis.

It was certainly not your typical night out in Bradford.....
Old 1st April 2017
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...pCCeaT58edok3g

Paraphrased from Al Koopers excellent book "Backstage passes and backstabbing bastards" Chuck said to the band. "you look at my foot. When it goes up somethings gonna happen. When it comes down you stop playin, unless you ain't playen then you start playin"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search