The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
John Wetton (King Crimson/Asia/Uriah Heep)
Old 31st January 2017
Administrator

John Wetton (King Crimson/Asia/Uriah Heep)

From CoS:

Quote:
John Wetton, a progressive rock figurehead who performed in bands such as King Crimson, Uriah Heep, and Roxy Music before leading the supergroup Asia in the 1980’s, has died following a battle with cancer. He was 67 years old.

According to a brief statement released by Asia, Wetton passed away in his sleep on Tuesday morning.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

This is sad news indeed. Of all the smileys available...

I loved his work best in UK, a group which has proven to be amazingly popular over the years with only two studio albums to leave their mark in music history. The musicianship from all involved was top notch, but the pairing of John Wetton and Eddie Jobson were the talent center of gravity and the core of the group's sound.

I hang out at the Eddie Jobson forum too. I'll have to swing by and leave my respects.
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

Loved that guy. My buddy text me this morning. Had to have a listen for a while. You gotta be a badass to be a vocalist in King Crimson, and his bass tone was beautiful.
Old 2nd February 2017
Old 2nd February 2017
Great in King Crimson, RIP
Old 3rd February 2017
I'm speechless and feel deep sadness.
My warmest condolences to his family and musicians friends.

One of my favorite artists when i was a little kid.

R.
Old 4th February 2017
Lives for gear

What a great loss to the community and the music industry. I didn't realize that he had rejoined the original group minus Steve Howe a few years ago. His voice is as good or better than it was back in the 80's. I was hoping for more albums from them. The last ones had some of their best works yet.

RIP John Wetton. Condolences to his friends, family, and business associates who are left behind.

Geoff Downes (Keyboards) said: "Life will not be the same without him," "And words are not really enough to describe the loss I feel right now, and the many friends and fans all over the world will also be feeling. It is the end of an era for all of us. But we will soldier on – the music of John Wetton needs to be heard loud and clear from the rooftops."

Some of his latest favorites of mine:

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I had the pleasure of seeing him 3 times with King Crimson, and have him on about 12 Crimson albums. He, along with Richard Palmer-James wrote the initial part of "Starless" (on the "Red" album), which is my favourite piece of music OF ALL TIME. Although he sang a lot, not just with Crimson, I felt it needed a bit more power. There were a couple of occasions where I thought his voice was going to 'break'. I never heard him when he was with U.K. or Asia. However, his bass playing was superb, even though he regularly broke strings!
Wetton had been through a lot. He was self-confessed alcoholic, but had dried himself out. He successfully beat cancer a few years ago, but succumbed this time around to this obscene disease.

RIP John.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Forrest View Post
I had the pleasure of seeing him 3 times with King Crimson, and have him on about 12 Crimson albums. He, along with Richard Palmer-James wrote the initial part of "Starless" (on the "Red" album), which is my favourite piece of music OF ALL TIME. Although he sang a lot, not just with Crimson, I felt it needed a bit more power. There were a couple of occasions where I thought his voice was going to 'break'. I never heard him when he was with U.K. or Asia. However, his bass playing was superb, even though he regularly broke strings!
Wetton had been through a lot. He was self-confessed alcoholic, but had dried himself out. He successfully beat cancer a few years ago, but succumbed this time around to this obscene disease.

RIP John.
A buddy of mine and I were talking about Wetton, and basically how you had to have that special "something" to be King Crimson's vocalist.

For that era of music and version of KC, John Wetton's voice was that of an ancient sailor who had seen miracles with his own eyes and could tie hundreds of different type of knots with rope.
Old 1 week ago
This is really sad. I have Asia's debut album. It's sad that this happened :(
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
What a great loss to the community and the music industry. I didn't realize that he had rejoined the original group minus Steve Howe a few years ago. His voice is as good or better than it was back in the 80's. I was hoping for more albums from them. The last ones had some of their best works yet.

RIP John Wetton. Condolences to his friends, family, and business associates who are left behind.

Geoff Downes (Keyboards) said: "Life will not be the same without him," "And words are not really enough to describe the loss I feel right now, and the many friends and fans all over the world will also be feeling. It is the end of an era for all of us. But we will soldier on – the music of John Wetton needs to be heard loud and clear from the rooftops."

Some of his latest favorites of mine:

Had not heard "Valkyrie" ....gorgeous and haunting.

He had a superb, powerful voice, in the same kind of vibe as Greg Lake, another favorite.

Too young. RIP John thanks for the great and powerful music.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search