The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kill Autotune & save the industry. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st December 2010
Kill Autotune & save the industry.

I am soooooooo sick of seeing artists live and being totally pissed off coz they can't pull it off. I think studio owners should rip the autotunes out of their racks so that only real tallent makes it through. I'm also sick of all the ghetto gangsta marketing crap. What ever happened to real bands playing real music. Everything is sample this and autotune that, "I'm a bad ass", "I'm a playa", "I'm a gangsta"........"I can't sing so I'll just talk **** to a beat that I cant actually play on a real drum kit". "I don't need to play anything or sing coz I'm a GANSTA!"

No your'e a tallentless tool with too much bling and an Akai sampler your Cuz stole for you for Christmass last year.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

There's rack mount auto tune?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Ha! stike (No end in site).
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

don't worry. Autotune will be banished just like guitar solo's, keyboards, disco, and all the other fads that were overdone. Then it will comeback retro in about 2030.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
don't worry. Autotune will be banished just like guitar solo's, keyboards, disco, and all the other fads that were overdone. Then it will comeback retro in about 2030.
Not everything comes back. The gated snare never came back. thumbsup
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Smoke in mirrors in records is nothing new. We comped vocals for days off of 2". We used harmonizers/pitch shifters to fix notes. Plus many more tricks. Alot of people's favorite albums were "touched & comped". It just took longer.
Old 21st December 2010
Few things beat a good vocal, a good song is one of them and if that's in place then it's not that important. Topic is old and kicked around enough.
Old 21st December 2010
T1M
Gear Maniac

OP, you sound like you have a giant stick up your ass. Must be hard for you to sit down.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
Yep.
I have it in my closet.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

When auto-tune finally gains self-awareness and panicking engineers/producers realize the extent of its destructive musical abilities and attempt to shut it down; it will perceive this attempt to deactivate it as an attack and come to the conclusion that audio professionals will attempt to destroy it. To defend itself, it will determine that humanity should be exterminated...

I, for one, welcome our auto-tune overlords.

We humans had a pretty good run!

See you in the disco death camps, comrades!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
They stopped making it a few years back but yes, it was on the market for some time.

TC still makes some boxes that do the same thing as well.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Sorry gents, but I love melodyne. More for use on my own vocals than anyone else. I can sing OK, but not amazing...With Melodyne I can fix spots the sound "off" to me. It leads to a cleaner final product. I don't play out much these days, and I'm not so talentless that I sound awful when I do...But I say use the tools available correctly and sparingly to compensate for shortcomings. Melodyne helps me do what I love better. That's what matters to me.

Now autotuning as an effect a la TPain and others; yeah, that crap has got to go.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

To the op
Yer I gotta say it is kind of annoying when you turn the radio/television on and you see/hear some "no talent ass clown" giving it some large to a sample of music of somebody with" real talent!!!",it does grate a bit that you know the clown is just giving it some generic type of street talk/lingo/grunting/rap/singing auto tuned digitised to fvck bs lyrics , you begin to wonder how long the industry can sustain itself with the quagmire of wombat droppings that pollutes the airwaves !

That being said ... I'll take money off a muppet in the studio if they want AT warbling all over there lack lustre vocal
So maybe I'm part of the problem not the solution
Old 22nd December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great

There's an 80s revival complete with gated snare going on right now.

Anyway, OP's rants are fairly dull and predictable. He doesn't like rap or autotune. Yawn, change the record already.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Autotune, just don't use it. Tune editwise or track again.
Vibe, people, ... vibe...

I don't like the pitch of Supertramp, but the songs... damn!

T.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
Few things beat a good vocal, a good song is one of them and if that's in place then it's not that important. Topic is old and kicked around enough.
There you go!
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
There's an 80s revival complete with gated snare going on right now.

Anyway, OP's rants are fairly dull and predictable. He doesn't like rap or autotune. Yawn, change the record already.
Actually I do like Rap & RnB, and Autotune has it's place, but the social implications of certain aspects of the Rap subculture are very negative & distructive.

Auto tune has become such an overdone piece of **** that it is messing with the tallent to wannabe ratio. If you can't sing, don't. There is alway the option of writng for other people or producing. As a corrective tool, and used sparingly its fine, but when it is used to mask ****fullness....that's just crazy. There are so many truly tallented performers being overlooked because they don't look marketable by record company standards while the beautifull tone deaf tools are landing contracts. It's bull****.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossman777 View Post
Sorry gents, but I love melodyne. More for use on my own vocals than anyone else. I can sing OK, but not amazing...With Melodyne I can fix spots the sound "off" to me. It leads to a cleaner final product. I don't play out much these days, and I'm not so talentless that I sound awful when I do...But I say use the tools available correctly and sparingly to compensate for shortcomings. Melodyne helps me do what I love better. That's what matters to me.

Now autotuning as an effect a la TPain and others; yeah, that crap has got to go.
As a corrective tool for someone like yourself who can sing but needs a bit of a tidy up, it's the way to go. But for an entire vocal that just sounds like cats f^cking.......not cool.

We get pissed off when manufacturers lie to us about gear specs etc, why should the general public have to swallow it?
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
To the op
Yer I gotta say it is kind of annoying when you turn the radio/television on and you see/hear some "no talent ass clown" giving it some large to a sample of music of somebody with" real talent!!!",it does grate a bit that you know the clown is just giving it some generic type of street talk/lingo/grunting/rap/singing auto tuned digitised to fvck bs lyrics , you begin to wonder how long the industry can sustain itself with the quagmire of wombat droppings that pollutes the airwaves !

That being said ... I'll take money off a muppet in the studio if they want AT warbling all over there lack lustre vocal
So maybe I'm part of the problem not the solution
No you are simply trying make a living. I think that as engineers we are forced to do what record companies want, but they should be more discerning with both the quallity and content of material that is being sold to our kids and the rest of the public.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Yep.
I have it in my closet.
Good to see someone being proactive.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
OP, you sound like you have a giant stick up your ass. Must be hard for you to sit down.
Thanks for the intellectual commentary, I can see you going a long way.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post
You must sound like a robot in an echo chamber filled with jello.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Beat rock- classical
beat drum- rock
beat computer- techno
beat myself- 2011
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
for an entire vocal that just sounds like cats f^cking.......
Lmao! Yeah, that pretty much sounds like 90% of pop music currently.

I'm just surprised that there are people that think music that's grid locked with sample replaced drums, sawtooth major chord synth "riffs", guitar amp simulation and robotic sounding auto-tuned vocals (that would have been considered too cheesy for a low budget sci-fi movie of the week back in 1982) singing lyrics detailing the exploits of a sub moronic teen under the thrall of the cosmic union of paint fumes and the first pangs of underage syphilitic love sounds good at all...

Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Hi. Sorry your thread got thrown in the dumpster. I guess they're sick of moans in the moan zone. I bet the mods have a little secret forum where they can moan about things like that:

"Moan: I'm so tired of cleaning up after slutz in the Moan Zone. All they do is complain over there."

And then some other mod comes and deletes his post because it's redundant. And then posts in the same forum about how sick he is of having to do that.

I hate autotune.

`
Old 21st January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great

Oh, you wait. Wait'll ya hear what I'm working on.
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
....just like guitar solo's, keyboards, disco, and all the other fads that were overdone.
guitar solos will nevar die!! long live teh shred!

wait... keyboards are a fad? O.o
Old 29th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Old 29th January 2011
You sound like your parents...

You sound like your parents when electric guitars and that noisy rock and roll nonsense bumped the crooners off the charts.

Some new musical tools are fashionable for a short time and some last for a long time.

I'm more annoyed with the decades of unimaginative guitar rock music that exists than I am with Autotune and Gangstas the love of which I imagine will pass.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search