The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kill Autotune & save the industry. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Tiny Circus View Post
You sound like your parents when electric guitars and that noisy rock and roll nonsense bumped the crooners off the charts.

Some new musical tools are fashionable for a short time and some last for a long time.

I'm more annoyed with the decades of unimaginative guitar rock music that exists than I am with Autotune and Gangstas the love of which I imagine will pass.
The difference is that the electric guitars and noisy rock has stood the test of time. It is still big money for soundtracks, advertising, radio, and the biggest grossing concert tours etc.
Thirty years from now when autotune robot music and such are ancient history, that electric guitar rock noise will still be right where it is.

And Jimmy Page's heir's will still be collecting the big checks.
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Maniac

these threads are always good entertainment
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
"Could you take the tone out of my voice?"
-anonymous client

lol heh
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

The public decides: If autoned "crappy" R&B tunes are more succesful than your tracks, guess what ?!? your doing something wrong.....

You know what I really hate, people who blame Autotune for their lack of succes. If they can pull it off, you can you. So instead of moaning, try harder.

No one cares about your skilled voice if your tracks are ****e.
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Addict

kill autotune & save your money for a better singer
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphie View Post
The public decides: If autoned "crappy" R&B tunes are more succesful than your tracks, guess what ?!? your doing sometihng wrong.....

You know what I really hate, people who blame Autotune for their lack of succes. If they can pull it off, you can you. So instead of moaning, try harder.

Well I don't piss on autotune because lack of succes, but because it hurts!
It's physically annoying like someone really hitting the wrong note, I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to singing or instrument playing and it's not 100% in tune but it's not really off either, that doesn't bother me, I know some people with absolute hearing that can't listen to Astrud Gilberto cause she has that way of just being a bit off, but that sound allright to me, but with autotune I do cringe like something is way out of tune, I don't know it's to narrow and lacking in richness of timbre & harmony that it really sounds off.
So I just can't take it, I can take atonal music, microtonal music, but this autotune stuff just makes me cringe.
If you have no problem with this, it's either because you grew up with it or you don't marvel at music throughout history and worldwide with it's unbelievable variety of harmony, timbre, resonances & overtones and you might care more about succes and bling bling and getting that car with the big wheels and some tramps in the back, which is of course your choice.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, assumptions galore, i am 40 years old now, had my dad playing beatles, Fats Domino, Glenn Miller and Shirley Bassey, Niel Diamond and all the other evergreens.
Guess what?!? nowadays i just like Bruno Mars better, and so does the rest of the world. Please don't pull the "you have got no musical heritage, you will open your eyes once you're as educated as me" trick. Ignorance is bliss.

You know autotune will never prevail in styles like Jazz or Opera, it's a tool that evolved into a stylistic effect in certain genres. grow up, embrace it and be happy.

Taste differs, and that's a good thing, but don't decide for the world that they have no ears and the world is wrong. Autotune is not some kind of conspiracy that the world needs to be saved from by you. They all have musical taste and heritage. Please respect that.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

okay, sorry then but I just went to listen to a Bruno Mars track (just the way you are), well I can't hear any autotune ABUSE, didn't listen through the whole track as it's not my kind of music but it's not as annoying or painful like the likes of T-pain & Lil Wayne, to make a tasteful correction here and there I guess it's allright, but that's far away from people Singing! through the autotune method, which really to me is physically unpleasant and sounds off.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

I agree there, if things sound like a pitched down version of Alvin and the chipmuncks its disturbing at least.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

allright then, I agree on that as well and that's mainly the kind of use that I'd like to close myself off to as it hurts!

well yeah as the rest of the world argument, I don't know if that's any good, rest of the world can wage war, I don't like to do that, huge amounts of rest of the world eat big macs, I cook from scratch. Rest of the world can believe in mythical creatures, I don't, can you generalize even more than saying the rest of the world?
Certainly when it comes to actually a very small percentage of music distributed through mainstream networks?
I'll bet I'll find you more 'Ethnic' musicians in this world than pop musicians.

So but I'm glad we agree on auto-tune Abuse which is my dislike of it.
I also don't agree with the thread title, killing autotune will not save the industry.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

exactly "censor the industry" would fit better
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphie View Post
exactly "censor the industry" would fit better
haha, good one, yeah that's me, Kill autotune & censor the industry..
not bad heh

but seriously no open up the industry again, I mean Top 40 lists in Belgium hold dominantly American Top 40 artists... why is that? because what they make is the absolute apex in music? I think not.
All ad boards in our city are from Clearchannel, I'm talking lousy little town in puny little Belgium.. might there not be some agressive pushing going on?
And humans being a perceptible and influenceable lot would they not respond to something that is being shoved at them 24/7 and eventually like it? as yes there is still some melody or rhythm which you can hum along or tap your feet to in there but really, nothing fishy going on? follow the money.
Old 31st January 2011
Gear Nut

Hey TS, it's a computerized effect, what if computer music was BANISHED!

FFS get ahold of yourself, who cares, though I'm sick of them too. GG stop Q.Q ing and start producing..
Old 1st February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paggos View Post
Hey TS, it's a computerized effect, what if computer music was BANISHED!

Well sure, like all the plug ins. Yet most plug ins try to emulate some analog device that sounded good for decades. This particular effect doesn't exist in the real world.

Hmm
Old 22nd March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCDBM View Post
The public decides: If autoned "crappy" R&B tunes are more succesful than your tracks, guess what ?!? your doing something wrong.....

Get on stage "Live" next to Me and we will see how "successful" each of our performances turn out. We are talking about being able to pull off a performance which is on par with your recorded material. You know, like a real musician.
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

kill autotune, kill beat detective, kill elastic audio, kill sample replacer, kill click tracks, kill excessive limiting for the sake of volume

turn up, turn on, tune up and play something from the soul...

people DO hear this, even if it is subliminal

The use of these ****boxes (and I have been as guilty as the next) has perpetuated / created a need for ridiculous anal PERFECTION which has ruined the subtlety of expression and art of music.
Old 19th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCDBM View Post

But trying harder would mean, ultimately, making ****tier music, as most of the music that is successful nowadays is tiring and derivative.

What a ridiculous attitude, and this is why music is so bad these days.
Old 14th August 2011
I agree with those who say that as a tool to fix small mistakes, it's ok. As an effect, it would be ok if it weren't overused.

People say that the "loud guitars" of the '80s was just a fad, but it lasted well into today, didn't it? That's because not everyone was doing EXACTLY the same thing. Sure, they turned their amps up to 11, but they all sounded different. The overuse of Autotune has most everyone sounding the same to me these days.

The first time I heard Autotune used as an effect was on Cher's famous one a while back. If you listen close enough, Avenged Sevenfold uses it on their self-titled album for the chorus on one song, but only on that one part of the song. "Artists" who use it on every single song are the ones who get on my nerves.

That's my $.02
Old 14th August 2011
restpause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
I am soooooooo sick of seeing artists live and being totally pissed off coz they can't pull it off. I think studio owners should rip the autotunes out of their racks so that only real tallent makes it through. I'm also sick of all the ghetto gangsta marketing crap. What ever happened to real bands playing real music. Everything is sample this and autotune that, "I'm a bad ass", "I'm a playa", "I'm a gangsta"........"I can't sing so I'll just talk **** to a beat that I cant actually play on a real drum kit". "I don't need to play anything or sing coz I'm a GANSTA!"

No your'e a tallentless tool with too much bling and an Akai sampler your Cuz stole for you for Christmass last year.
I'm with you on that.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search