The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
University asking for donations? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

University asking for donations?

Seriously now, I am just finishing my time at a 4 year private university (with tuition of 40K a year) and thy send me something in the mail asking me to donate to a "chancellor fund." They basically want to build something pretty and unnecessary on campus

They could at least wait 3-5 years till they could at least assume I have some sort of income before they have the gall to ask me for even MORE money that I'm already giving them. sheesh

probably not such a big deal..but hey, this is the moan zone. its nice to let loose every now and then
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get used to that....

I graduated from a private college too, and got donation requests right away. Now they're just disguised as "young alumni event" invitations.

I work for a private high school and have received a pay stub and donation envelope in the same week. That's weird.

Howie J
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

University asking for donations?

I got kicked out of a grammar school when I was 15 and got a letter 10 years later begging me to come back. I mean they were wanting a donation and said "You are always welcome back!"
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthLine09 View Post
Seriously now, I am just finishing my time at a 4 year private university (with tuition of 40K a year) and thy send me something in the mail asking me to donate to a "chancellor fund." They basically want to build something pretty and unnecessary on campus

They could at least wait 3-5 years till they could at least assume I have some sort of income before they have the gall to ask me for even MORE money that I'm already giving them. sheesh

probably not such a big deal..but hey, this is the moan zone. its nice to let loose every now and then
That crap pisses me off! Private universities are BUSINESSES providing a service. You pay to be 'educated'. Donations are akin to a "tip cup". Moreover, most of the college experience that folks are so fond of was not provided by the institution. It was the other PAYING customers that created that environment/experience.

Bottom line: If I thought you did such an outstanding job, you probably wouldn't have to ASK for a donation!

Rant over.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

If I am wealthy enough (and that's a big if) to make a sizable donation to my university, I probably would. However, I would make it directly to either the marching band's fund or to the music department's fund. I'd also stipulate that in no way is it to go towards scholarships because I would want everyone to benefit. For instance, an alum of WVU recently donated a 40' observation tower to the marching band, and an other donor is contributing towards a big chunk of the funds needed to make our all Steinway conversion.
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:

It's common procedure. I graduate with a Bachelor of Arts and I'm back doing my masters at the same school, and they've been calling asking for donations. It is less for tuition in Canada though (10k a year).
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUtubadude View Post
If I am wealthy enough (and that's a big if) to make a sizable donation to my university, I probably would. However, I would make it directly to either the marching band's fund or to the music department's fund. I'd also stipulate that in no way is it to go towards scholarships because I would want everyone to benefit. For instance, an alum of WVU recently donated a 40' observation tower to the marching band, and an other donor is contributing towards a big chunk of the funds needed to make our all Steinway conversion.
For sure! If anything I would donate to the music school, or perhaps a scholarship fund to help incoming students.

I know a few folks at WVU in the drumline btw....marched with them at Blue Stars this summer
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

I finished my BFA and MFA about 13 years ago yet every year my college either calls me or sends me mail wanting donations to some thing or the other. I always tell them when I finish paying off the loans it took to go to their school I will start to think about being charitable.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...(with tuition of 40K a year)...
I'm surprised someone without a current income can afford $40K a year anyway.

Who exactly are they asking for the money ? Now be honest ....

heh
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
I'm surprised someone without a current income can afford $40K a year anyway.

heh
student loans, grants, scholarships, work study, etc.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ok I was being facetious....

is $40K p/a not that unusual then ?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
Ok I was being facetious....

is $40K p/a not that unusual then ?
That's a lot. But it's less than Wash. U. in St. Louis. Of course, it's an order of magnitude more than SEMO.

I attended neither...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

well i got raped on tuition all through student loans solely in my name that i may be paying back for the rest of my life. if they come asking for donations i might go there and knock somebody out.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd tell 'em to bend over. It's your turn now! stikestike
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I should clarify...the tuition to attened the University is about 43K per year, however I do have a music scholarship covering a good sum of that. A little over half.

Its still ridiculous!
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

My degree some 25+ years ago was in high energy particle Physics. When I was in 3rd year, my faculty adviser happened to be the head of the Physics dept. One day, I was waiting in his outer office for an appointment with him to discuss my 4th year courses. The 3rd/4th year lab instructor was in with him lamenting the fact that there were, at that point, too many declared Physics majors in 2nd year, and the 3rd year lab would not be able to accommodate them all the following year. The head of the department then said "Well, I guess we'll just have to fail them." And that's what they did.

Government underfunding of programs was compensated for by the recruiting of far too many new students, followed by the need to fail them when they required resources the University knew it didn't have. For that reason, I told them in no uncertain terms what they could do with their requests for money many years ago. I have not received any more since.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
My degree some 25+ years ago was in high energy particle Physics. When I was in 3rd year, my faculty adviser happened to be the head of the Physics dept. One day, I was waiting in his outer office for an appointment with him to discuss my 4th year courses. The 3rd/4th year lab instructor was in with him lamenting the fact that there were, at that point, too many declared Physics majors in 2nd year, and the 3rd year lab would not be able to accommodate them all the following year. The head of the department then said "Well, I guess we'll just have to fail them." And that's what they did.

Government underfunding of programs was compensated for by the recruiting of far too many new students, followed by the need to fail them when they required resources the University knew it didn't have. For that reason, I told them in no uncertain terms what they could do with their requests for money many years ago. I have not received any more since.
That was my major at U of Michigan - strangely, the tone of the discussion I had at the time (since I was out of state and completely broke after my first semester) was remarkably the same.

I hate to say it, but we really need to concentrate on the smart kids, give them all the resources and help that they need, and stop funding the college careers of the well-connected but stupid, or just simply the stupid. Get the grades, score well on both the SAT and ACT, and you should get all the help you need. If not, go to a private university that will take you.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Amazing isn't it? All this money yet teachers and professors continue to be among the most underpaid professionals.

As an alumnus, my grandfather gave $60k/year to the university we both attended, and my tuition was among the highest in the world, but when I had trouble with comprehension (slight ADD), and as my grades began to show it, no one in the faculty came forward with any offer of assistance. It was before much was known about ADD, so, for us, it was confusing. I eventually left and my g-father was so pissed that he stopped sending financial support of any kind.

We continued to get letters asking for support for many years. It was a joke.

Funding can be difficult for some schools (I had an aunt in the alumi dept at a different school so I understand their struggle to raise cash) but exactly how they spend it remains a mystery to me.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just got another asking to donate to a holocaust memorial on campus. Umm...what? Why not forgo spending thousands of dollars and start a fund to end current day genocide. I dont mean to sound cold hearted, or say that it wouldnt be meaningful, but is that really necessary? Until today i didnt even know we had a "jewish studies" program on campus
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search