The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sweetwater's Virtual Mic Shootout Condenser Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Well i listened on my monitors and headphones using ABX utility, where randomly hearing files and choosing one.
I listened for differences between Slate VMS and Vintage ones.
Why Slate VMS ? Because i want to go for it in black friday sale.

Except C12 emulation , my accuracy for every emulation was around 89-90% where i knew which was vintage and which was emulation.(Even though i dont own any microphone!)

Though in C12, my accuracy was 50-57% through repeated tests. Means its a spot on !!

In rest there is one clear difference, the bottom end--> low end and smoothness is less in vms emulations, it sounds thinner and resonance/harsh/sibilant in loud phrases.

If the hearable difference is this between a vintage and emulated one, i am fine..
But just worried if it holds true when compared to a mid budget 300-500$ microphones.(akg/shure/rode nt1)
How comparable is low end of VMS ? is it thin aka less depth and smooth ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 View Post
Well i listened on my monitors and headphones using ABX utility, where randomly hearing files and choosing one.
I listened for differences between Slate VMS and Vintage ones.
Why Slate VMS ? Because i want to go for it in black friday sale.

Except C12 emulation , my accuracy for every emulation was around 89-90% where i knew which was vintage and which was emulation.(Even though i dont own any microphone!)

Though in C12, my accuracy was 50-57% through repeated tests. Means its a spot on !!

In rest there is one clear difference, the bottom end--> low end and smoothness is less in vms emulations, it sounds thinner and resonance/harsh/sibilant in loud phrases.

If the hearable difference is this between a vintage and emulated one, i am fine..
But just worried if it holds true when compared to a mid budget 300-500$ microphones.(akg/shure/rode nt1)
How comparable is low end of VMS ? is it thin aka less depth and smooth ?
The FG12 was my favorite of the the VMS emulations when I had it. It’s really good. Beat out a few of my clones too!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflux View Post
With all due respect, you must be insane. I work for a dealer that sells Antelope and almost ALL the units come back faulty or the customers have unresolvable issues with the software not working with their mac or PC. Antelope support is renowned for being dreadful, slow and incompetent. We try to steer people away from these products and the people who go against our advice soon come back to say we were right, then buy something from a brand that takes their customers seriously.
I'm not sure what you are talking about, I have an Orion Studio 2017 interface working perfectly on my 2017 iMac. No issues at all. Also every time I've contacted live support or by phone they have gotten back to me very quickly. Setup is simple. Again, I really cant believe that every unit antelope makes comes back to your friend. Many pro level people are using Antelope with great things to say about them (time to start thinking out of the box and stop listen to your friends). To be honest, every brand has their issues . Antelope is offering the best converters and preamps for the $$$ with free plugins that sound great with excellent clocking. And they just dropped their price for Black Friday to $1995.00 for 12 mic inputs with 124db dynamic range a/d converters. Not going to beat that. The guitar effects have a killer sound.
Old 10 hours ago
Someone asked me last week if having a $10,000+ microphone really makes "any difference." I thought about it and had to admit that yes, it does. Could the questioner actually *hear* the difference between a $100 mic and a $10K mic? That's debatable. He was not an engineer. But it definitely makes a difference. In terms of the "value" that a singer feels when singing into a mic. But it's not all psychological.

If I asked you as an artist if you'd like to sing into the $7000 mic that Amy Grant sang into or use a $200 clone, which would YOU pick?

(Honestly, as an engineer, I'd insist on using the mic that sounded best on the artist in the studio at the moment, regardless of price or heritage. I've done it — picked the SM7B over the Telefunken U47.)

If there was no difference, then old microphones would be just that — old. But instead they continue to increase in value. There's a reason. And it's not just greed.
Old 41 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Someone asked me last week if having a $10,000+ microphone really makes "any difference." I thought about it and had to admit that yes, it does. Could the questioner actually *hear* the difference between a $100 mic and a $10K mic? That's debatable. He was not an engineer. But it definitely makes a difference. In terms of the "value" that a singer feels when singing into a mic. But it's not all psychological.

If I asked you as an artist if you'd like to sing into the $7000 mic that Amy Grant sang into or use a $200 clone, which would YOU pick?

(Honestly, as an engineer, I'd insist on using the mic that sounded best on the artist in the studio at the moment, regardless of price or heritage. I've done it — picked the SM7B over the Telefunken U47.)

If there was no difference, then old microphones would be just that — old. But instead they continue to increase in value. There's a reason. And it's not just greed.
I agree. And I add something on top of that: Knowing that you are now singing into the $7000 mic that Amy Grant/Rihanna/Dr Dre/Ed Sheeran performed into will make most singers feel amazing as opposed to singing in a $500.- clone, because using a clone, a software emulation, a cheaper alternative etc always carries the side effect of doubt with it. Doubt about the mic, the acoustics, the rest of the gear chain, the skills of the people involved ("hey why must they use cheap alternatives if they are as good as the others?" etc etc). Doubt pulls performances down, amazement pushes performances up, which is easily heard on the recording afterwards. Yes, there are super confident people out there who are totally unimpressed (for example because they are already superstars) but the vast majority of talent will be amazed or doubtful depending on the mic/gear/location situation.
I always like to think of it as a car analogy: Take ten photos of a guy while driving from A to B in a Mitsubishi and then ten photos of the same guy driving the same route in a shiny Lamborghini. Both cars took the guy from A to B but his face will look drastically different on the photos depending which car he was driving. His facial expression on the photo is our vocal recording in the DAW.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search