The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sweetwater's Virtual Mic Shootout Condenser Microphones
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_man1898 View Post
But what if you come across a situation where having the knowledge of the details between these mics could mean the difference in you making lots of money and making pennies?

If the making or breaking of your fortune in pro audio comes down to

a) the knowledge of the details of these mics, and

b) "coming across a situation" where having such knowledge is the sole determinant of success,

I would respectfully suggest that your fortune in pro audio is a pipe dream and you should seriously consider another line of work!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 15th June 2018
is it just me, or did the virtual mics sound "Kaputt" especially in the processed "in music" sound files?

I can not help but particulary on the female 47 files and the male ones, there is something wrong... like the resolution is too low. reminds me of guitar amp simulations back in the day..

the U67 vintage-mik voice processed in the mix sounds very natural where as the slate, townsend have enormous sizzling artefacts and the antelope doesn't integrate with the mix.

thank you Sweetwater for the test!

btw.. (no intension of sounding sarcastic):
the vintage sm 57 sounds fantastic. I want one. Unidyne series, or which one was used?
Old 17th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
reminds me of guitar amp simulations back in the day..

the U67 vintage-mik voice processed in the mix sounds very natural where as the slate, townsend have enormous sizzling artefacts and the antelope doesn't integrate with the mix.
The difference in tone, and in the sibilant characteristics between the mics, ..and compared to an original is pretty telling. Usable, but...
Old 17th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
is it just me, or did the virtual mics sound "Kaputt" especially in the processed "in music" sound files?
In these infomercial threads I never feel like I have, as they say, "permission to speak freely." So thank you, George, for doing so.
Old 18th June 2018
Quote:
btw.. (no intension of sounding sarcastic):
the vintage sm 57 sounds fantastic. I want one. Unidyne series, or which one was used?
"Vintage" was slightly sarcastic. In this case it meant "not new." It is a 57 of undetermined age that was grabbed from the Sweetwater mic locker. Not old, but not new. Probably 4-5 years old I would guess but don't quote me. Certainly not a 1970s version or a Unidyne. Nothing unique or special.
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In these infomercial threads I never feel like I have, as they say, "permission to speak freely." So thank you, George, for doing so.
You've had plenty of opportunity to educate us all on where mic sims are lacking. Now, all of a sudden it's so obvious where the sonic flaws are?
Old 22nd June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
You've had plenty of opportunity to educate us all on where mic sims are lacking. Now, all of a sudden it's so obvious where the sonic flaws are?
Fair enough. for starters, go here:

Hm. You can't. Blocked, for some reason. It's the "Slate VMS at NRG Studios" demo.

Even though the mic sims are really close, all the real mics have a slight 3-D quality, a "back and sides," and a "weight" that the sims lack. This is the kind of thing that might be seemingly insignificant in a raw-vs-raw comparison. In the context of a mix, it's more noticeable. To me at least. And it's actually more noticeable to me on my lo-fi laptop than it is in my studio environment. Not sure why that is.

As for my feeling a lack of permission to speak freely, here's how I got it. There was A UAD thread here with some guest engineer live-tracking a band with an Apollo. He said that he had opted to have the band work without headphones to get the "immediacy in the room," or some such thing. Based on my Apollo experience, I suggested that he actually bagged the cue mixes due to impracticality in the time allotted. My post disappeared almost instantly.
Old 23rd June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Fair enough. for starters, go here:

Hm. You can't. Blocked, for some reason. It's the "Slate VMS at NRG Studios" demo.

Even though the mic sims are really close, all the real mics have a slight 3-D quality, a "back and sides," and a "weight" that the sims lack. This is the kind of thing that might be seemingly insignificant in a raw-vs-raw comparison. In the context of a mix, it's more noticeable. To me at least. And it's actually more noticeable to me on my lo-fi laptop than it is in my studio environment. Not sure why that is.

As for my feeling a lack of permission to speak freely, here's how I got it. There was A UAD thread here with some guest engineer live-tracking a band with an Apollo. He said that he had opted to have the band work without headphones to get the "immediacy in the room," or some such thing. Based on my Apollo experience, I suggested that he actually bagged the cue mixes due to impracticality in the time allotted. My post disappeared almost instantly.
Fair enough!
Old 24th June 2018
Quote:

I am working sith 2 Apollo 8’s and I use the optical outs to feed 16 cues to a set of personal mixers. It works just fine.
I guess if you just turned up with a single unit to a nee room and had to set up cues you be in the sane boat as with any other unit.
Old 24th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
I am working sith 2 Apollo 8’s and I use the optical outs to feed 16 cues to a set of personal mixers. It works just fine.
I guess if you just turned up with a single unit to a nee room and had to set up cues you be in the sane boat as with any other unit.
Sounds like they could have used your help.
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
"Vintage" was slightly sarcastic. In this case it meant "not new." It is a 57 of undetermined age that was grabbed from the Sweetwater mic locker. Not old, but not new. Probably 4-5 years old I would guess but don't quote me. Certainly not a 1970s version or a Unidyne. Nothing unique or special.

This made my day.
Old 25th June 2018
Quote:

You do realize that all the threads with guests are indeed heavily monitored. Each post from members is vetted before being posted. They are not open like a thread started started by members. It says that when you submit a post.
Old 25th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
You do realize that all the threads with guests are indeed heavily monitored. Each post from members is vetted before being posted. They are not open like a thread started started by members. It says that when you submit a post.
I do.
Old 26th June 2018
Lives for gear

Wonderful comparisons, thanks Lynn!

I think the judgement depends heavily on the definition of the goal. Useable results for producing a good sounding album while having a lot of sonic starting points as an option: The emulations will do just fine. So will any decent collection of good quality budget mics and an EQ. If the goal however is trying to get the sound sonically and emotionally from 90-100%, the originals do have their validity. In this shootout I often got the impression that the vintage originals had more fascinating moments and less annoying moments. Quite often the top sounded like it´s just open and the voice´s treble ends where the voice naturally runs out of treble energy, while the emulations often gave me the feeling of "framing" the voice within a slightly limited range. The real C800G sounds bright but so "right" on top, the real U47 sounds more detailed/louder even though it isn´t louder, the real C12 has this midrange "something" which makes it jump out right in front of you effortlessly. It´s subtle though, the average iphone listener will probably just prefer the mic that has the more pleasing balance for their listening environment, not the mic that delivers the best quality of the sound.

All in all, imho paying ten times the price does not give ten times the quality. It´s more like getting the top 15% percent of quality which are hard to reach without the superexpensive gear. I think we all can easily work with any of the software models and get great sound, but lusting for the originals still has validity in terms of sound, not just status.
Old 26th June 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
... The real C800G sounds bright but so "right" on top, the real U47 sounds more detailed/louder even though it isn´t louder, the real C12 has this midrange "something" which makes it jump out right in front of you effortlessly.
That's part of if for sure. There wasn't a mic-sim involved, it was a real TLM103, but I had an ad client say this about the VO level in a mix: "It's too loud but I still can't hear it." With a real mic with a tube and a transformer (maybe even just the transformer) that's never the case.
Old 27th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Vetted? Seriously? I wasn't aware of that. My posts show up instantly. [EDIT: I see now that you said "threads with guests." Since I'm not a guest, that doesn't apply here. I'm just another working schmo. -LF]

I do know for a fact (and I specifically requested it even before they suggested it) that I don't have any moderation ability on these Sweetwater threads. What's said is said and completely out of my control.

I was a forum moderator for 17 years with my finger on the Delete/Edit button. I don't have time for that any more. I just check in here to see what people think, and hear suggestions on how I can do better next time.
Old 27th June 2018
Lives for gear

Only listened to the female vocals. U67 wasn't that good in the emulations, I like the antelope there though it doesn't sound much like the U67. C12/ELAM were more closely matched and U47 wasn't bad either (more variance there).

Pretty usable results, regular folk wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the finished "product". Keeping to my vintage stuff, but the next generation could quite possibly make arguments for the real stuff pretty hard. The same way suddenly everyone mixes ITB and doesn't really care if the XXXX plugin emu sounds exactly like HW, because it just works.
Old 28th June 2018
Here for the gear

Seriously? I wasn't aware of that
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Pretty usable results, regular folk wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the finished "product".
Ehm, I've had the same impression.
Old 3rd July 2018
Here for the gear

Has anyone put two ml-2s with the capsules @180 degrees from each other into a stereo track and instantiated the Townsend labs sphere software? How did the off axis response and proximity translate? How did the sdc capsules translate with ldc emulations?
I feel like the science is there I just don’t own any slate mics.
Old 5th July 2018
Hi

This thread / sub forum has been moved down from the top of the forum index to make way for newer Q&A sub forums

It may move into the archives in a few weeks.

Many thanks for your participation

it will remain open for new posts.

Old 14th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Funny you mention that. We have two 77DX models coming out in the next Sphere release (currently available for public beta). I would say the two mics we modeled are night and day different but still have some similar flavor.

On our website, we do have some comparisons that are direct A/B with the specific mics we modeled.

sooooooo about that Chandler Redd
Old 21st July 2018
Here for the gear
Uh, so Sweetwater stopped carrying the Edge? Wait. . . what's up with that? I just did a search for it and they say it's no longer available.
Old 21st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesarahh View Post
Uh, so Sweetwater stopped carrying the Edge? Wait. . . what's up with that? I just did a search for it and they say it's no longer available.
Yes, very surprising news. I posted about it last month, including Antelope’s full official statement here. (Not sure if it’s also been covered elsewhere here on GS).
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
... Antelope’s full official statement here.
"Synonym." He keeps using that word. I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search