The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sweetwater's Virtual Mic Shootout
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
That's simply a statement of such shootouts in general, not this specific one, and I'm not trying to slam them in saying that, I just stated a fact.
Nope, that's not how that works. Sorry.

The suggestion that open shootouts are of no value is empirically wrong. Data collected from an open shootout might not be useful or sufficient enough to draw specific conclusions, but you are erroneously conflating inconclusive data with useless information.
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflux View Post
With all due respect, you must be insane. I work for a dealer that sells Antelope and almost ALL the units come back faulty or the customers have unresolvable issues with the software not working with their mac or PC. Antelope support is renowned for being dreadful, slow and incompetent. We try to steer people away from these products and the people who go against our advice soon come back to say we were right, then buy something from a brand that takes their customers seriously.

Well, maybe I'll just buy the Townsend Labs then

anything against that?

Old 2nd May 2018
Love Sweetwater and I appreciate all the hard work that went into putting this together! As a male singer (somewhat), I would have liked to hear something in the lower register in the shootout and maybe just some VO clips. Maybe next time.

Through my HD-25s and Audient headphone output, there was very little difference in all the male mic tracks versus the original and each other. The Antelope has an edge capsule and I could hear a little more air but throw in the other instruments and..... Still not that interested in whether a mic emulation hits the mark as long as it sounds good and they all do.

Own and use the Slate quite a bit with the Townsend on my future radar. Still using Win 7/64 and my system is solid so it's not connected to the internet or updates. This rules out the Win 10 Antelope unless there's been an update, otherwise I'd pick up the 2 channel Edge preamp system for sure.
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
almost ALL the units come back faulty or the customers have unresolvable issues with the software not working with their mac or PC. Antelope support is renowned for being dreadful, slow and incompetent.
Wow, ALL CAPS?

Guess everyone I know has just been an outlier..........totally different view from here.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
With all due respect, you must be insane. I work for a dealer that sells Antelope and almost ALL the units come back faulty or the customers have unresolvable issues with the software not working with their mac or PC. Antelope support is renowned for being dreadful, slow and incompetent. We try to steer people away from these products and the people who go against our advice soon come back to say we were right, then buy something from a brand that takes their customers seriously.
I`ve had excellent response from Antelope, usually get a reply in 24 hours. That being said, my unit has been rock solid and my inquiries were just "How do I..." Maybe I got lucky, who knows.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

I`m glad the Slate VM subjectively works. However, if given a choice, I`d just buy one $1000 mic that I know is going to last as long as I take care of it and not be dependent on a companies software which support/updates could end at any time. It happens with software. Are you still going to be using your beloved modeled mic 20 years from now? Just a thought..
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

If talking 1k, I don´t care what happens in 20 years... If it sparks your creativity, improves your workflow or just works for you, then go for it I´d say...
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez View Post
If talking 1k, I don´t care what happens in 20 years... If it sparks your creativity, improves your workflow or just works for you, then go for it I´d say...
Sure, I love the concept and it`s not horrendously overpriced. Just not something I`d invest in, that`s all. If I had no mics, and prices being equal, I`d get something like an AKG C414. It`s there, self-contained and easily repairable. For me, the software dependence, while a necessity, I can`t fix that myself. I remember Antares Mic Modeler. You chose what mike you were using, and chose a mic what you wanted it to sound like. While certainly not a direct comparison, that was kinda useless and disappeared a LONG time ago. I think it hinges on "assurance", which I don`t think many software companies can give much assurance as to what the future holds.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
If I had no mics, and prices being equal, I`d get something like an AKG C414.
On many levels you aren't wrong. You can get a banging pro-sound with this mic

But the hardware software combos of this shootout open more doors than the akg. and while as software company can not give any assurances about tomorrow.. neither can the universe.

I could go to bed tonight. Unexplainable heart attack, aneurism - not wake up tomorrow.

I could go shopping tomorrow - some crazy driver on the freeway runs me off the road. life - if I still have one, changes in the blink of an eye

I would suggest different than you. If somebody has no mics, and needs to spend a 1k on a mic (everybody should need to spend 1k or more on a studio mic!!) I would totally suggest one of these in this thread.

"Software eats the world." Software is eating the $100,000 mic locker and passing it out the backside at a cool $1200 give or take a few bucks

and that is just plain cool
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Is it possible for an affordable solid-state large-diaphragm mic to sound convincingly like a world-renowned vintage tube mic worth tens of thousands of dollars? That's what we at Sweetwater wanted to find out. So we put the Slate Virtual Microphone System, the Townsend Labs Sphere L22 Microphone Modeling System, and the Antelope Audio Edge Large-diaphragm Modeling Microphone in the studio right next to the mics they modeled. Then we had two vocalists sing into each mic, in a carefully calibrated test to see what differences we could or couldn't hear. We call it the Sweetwater Virtual Mic Shootout. The differences/similarities were absolutely enlightening to us. And we'd love to hear your opinion after you listen to these samples.

Are virtual mics the future of vocal mics? Sound off on what you think.

Check out how we set up the listening test and hear the virtual and vintage mics side by side. Listen to 320K MP3s or download the high-resolution 24/96 files here:
Virtual Mic Shootout — with Sound Samples - inSync | Sweetwater

This is a fantastic article and thanks so much to all for the effort!
I’m just wanted to confirm, in the article it says they all went into the Millenia preamp, is that including the VMS (which of course comes with its own preamp).
You mentioned it’s a particularly transparent and clean preamp, if VMS did go into the Millenia I just wonder if we could expect it would perform exactly as it would through its own pre which is also said to be extremely clear and transparent?
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for doing this, Lynn and Sweetwater!

I'm a pretty big fan of the U67 all around. I think each of these mics are within a certain threshold of acceptable frequency response. They are definitely different, but that is to be expected when modeling anything "vintage." I believe the Slate 67 would have been a bit closer if the expansion pack 67 were used. The default/base FG67 is brighter than original stock. The Townsend sounds cool on all, a bit of midrange bump on the 67 model. The Antelope.... is kind of doing its own thing on all of them. Very similar, but not quite the same.

The one thing that seems to be missing on all of the tube mic emulations is the smooth, slightly compressed dynamic response of the original. The emulations are just a little "wild" dynamically compared to the original mic. That being said, once the vocal or instrument is compressed beyond 2-3db you're probably going to be sounding really close. Given the price disparity, that's pretty rad!

I have the VMS and have used it mainly for vocals. Anyway around it, it's a fantastic vocal mic. This test, though, has me looking at the Townsend mic closely. Probably a good idea to have both!
Old 3rd May 2018
Nicely done by Sweetwater. Steven and others are correct regarding WHICH particular vintage mic was used in the "modeling" process by each company. I've probably used a dozen U47's in my recording/production life. They all pretty much sound like a 47, but some just SOUND more like what I remembered of the U47 Capitol records studios U47 in Hollywood. The one Paula guarded with her life.

All 3 manufacturers should be proud of what they ofter. Of possible note is an additional collection of Townsend Labs certified UAD?TL mics from Oceanway's mic locker.
To be fair, all 3 manufacturers now have LARGE collections of mics, all about anyone could want. It IS a great time to be recording music, especially vocals.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
On many levels you aren't wrong. You can get a banging pro-sound with this mic

But the hardware software combos of this shootout open more doors than the akg. and while as software company can not give any assurances about tomorrow.. neither can the universe.

I could go to bed tonight. Unexplainable heart attack, aneurism - not wake up tomorrow.

I could go shopping tomorrow - some crazy driver on the freeway runs me off the road. life - if I still have one, changes in the blink of an eye

I would suggest different than you. If somebody has no mics, and needs to spend a 1k on a mic (everybody should need to spend 1k or more on a studio mic!!) I would totally suggest one of these in this thread.

"Software eats the world." Software is eating the $100,000 mic locker and passing it out the backside at a cool $1200 give or take a few bucks

and that is just plain cool
It`s very cool! But an aneurysm, heart attack, crazy drivers are not choices. Microphones are. I`d take my chances on a harmless, timeless C414. I mainly compare them for price, not considering a 414 is an extremely good mic that will last a LONG time.
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks for the shootout!

However, what would be even more interesting is to hear a recording with multiple takes put together (drums, bass, horn, multiple vocals, guitar, ...) all recorded with ONE of those virtual mics. Vintage King did this on voices only in the following video: YouTube and the differences become more audible imo.
When you think of it, if you own a virtual microphone, you will use that single mic on multiple instruments so that's why I think it's really important to compare these mics on multiple takes put together.

Also, some comparisons of the "hybrid" models (ribbons for example) would be very interesting and highly appreciated. Until now I can't find a good video to compare these models.

Thanks!
Old 4th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
You are most welcome. We have the same questions about gear that our customers do. "I wonder if...."
Thankfully we have access to all the gear and the studio so we can do recordings and comparison like this that most of our customers can't. It's always enlightening when we take new gear into the studio and get to try it out.

Quote:
I'm a pretty big fan of the U67 all around. I think each of these mics are within a certain threshold of acceptable frequency response. They are definitely different, but that is to be expected when modeling anything "vintage." I believe the Slate 67 would have been a bit closer if the expansion pack 67 were used. The default/base FG67 is brighter than original stock. The Townsend sounds cool on all, a bit of midrange bump on the 67 model. The Antelope.... is kind of doing its own thing on all of them. Very similar, but not quite the same.

The one thing that seems to be missing on all of the tube mic emulations is the smooth, slightly compressed dynamic response of the original. The emulations are just a little "wild" dynamically compared to the original mic. That being said, once the vocal or instrument is compressed beyond 2-3db you're probably going to be sounding really close. Given the price disparity, that's pretty rad!

I have the VMS and have used it mainly for vocals. Anyway around it, it's a fantastic vocal mic. This test, though, has me looking at the Townsend mic closely. Probably a good idea to have both!
Both? Sure. That was my opinion as well. More very useful studio tools. Who doesn't need that?
Old 4th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasntbeen View Post
This is a fantastic article and thanks so much to all for the effort!
I’m just wanted to confirm, in the article it says they all went into the Millenia preamp, is that including the VMS (which of course comes with its own preamp).
You mentioned it’s a particularly transparent and clean preamp, if VMS did go into the Millenia I just wonder if we could expect it would perform exactly as it would through its own pre which is also said to be extremely clear and transparent?
Hasntbeen,

Good question. Yes, all the mics went into the Millennia preamp.

When we started discussing and designing the comparison for these mics, we talked about what preamps to use. There were two schools of thought.

1) Use the included preamps.
2) Use the same preamp for all.

For the first scenario, that would mean using an Antelope interface with the Edge mic. So now the signal path includes not only a different mic, but also a different preamp, plus a different A/D and different clock. Definitely far from a single variable. Would the differences you hear be due to the mic, or the preamp, or the ADC, or the clock?
With the Slate VMS, we could use the Slate preamp, which is now discontinued. That seemed less than ideal.
With the Townsend it's just a mic and doesn't include a preamp. We considered using a Universal Audio interface, since they are tightly integrated, but again different mic, different preamp, different converter, different clock. What are you hearing?

Ultimately we decided to use the same Millennia preamp for every mic so that the differences we'd hear between the virtual mics would be strictly mics and/or models.
Old 4th May 2018
There was discussion, for a minute, of trying to get all the original vintage mics from Slate, Townsend, and Antelope, that the models were based on. Yep, like "Hey Allen Sides, send us a half dozen of your microphones!"

When the reality of what that would actually entail, not only in terms of logistics but also liability, I decided to punt on that idea.

I may be crazy, but I'm not THAT crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Now, regarding the 67, in defense of Townsend, out of all the mics we examined in the modeling process, 67s varied THE MOST. What makes it even more difficult is that many vintage 67s have been modded. Our default 67 has the famous “filter mods” which open the top end. Our 67 in the Classic Tubes 3 upgrade is stock. They don’t sound the same at all!

Quote:

I'm a pretty big fan of the U67 all around. I think each of these mics are within a certain threshold of acceptable frequency response. They are definitely different, but that is to be expected when modeling anything "vintage." I believe the Slate 67 would have been a bit closer if the expansion pack 67 were used. The default/base FG67 is brighter than original stock. The Townsend sounds cool on all, a bit of midrange bump on the 67 model.
Old 4th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoli View Post
Seems like a few people have noticed the differences in 67 and the Townsend.

Makes me wonder if that’s a result of Townsend’s modeling of the 67. Or perhaps the result has something to do the proximity features that Peller pointed out earlier.
I happen to have access to and have used the actual U67 used by Townsend for their model. I also own a couple of Spheres. I have not done a side by side of them, but the sphere behaves like I would expect, given my experience with the original it was based on. In my opinion, Townsend should come out with a second U67 model. It's hard to say without being able to hear them at the same time, but the actual mic we're talking about here is not my favorite U67 that I've ever heard--and as many have said, there can be quite a lot of variation between specimens. For what it's worth I think their c12 pretty much nails it for the type of stuff I would want a c12 for, which alone is more than enough reason to own a sphere. I use that model the most. The really great thing is being able to decide later. Even if something didn't seem like the best choice at first, I've chosen a different model while mixing and gotten a good result different from other kinds of processing. And being able to mess with the off-axis behavior can be really useful. So it almost doesn't matter if the emulations are dead-on with particular specimens of vintage mics.
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by d jackson View Post
I happen to have access to and have used the actual U67 used by Townsend for their model. I also own a couple of Spheres. I have not done a side by side of them, but the sphere behaves like I would expect, given my experience with the original it was based on. In my opinion, Townsend should come out with a second U67 model. It's hard to say without being able to hear them at the same time, but the actual mic we're talking about here is not my favorite U67 that I've ever heard--and as many have said, there can be quite a lot of variation between specimens. For what it's worth I think their c12 pretty much nails it for the type of stuff I would want a c12 for, which alone is more than enough reason to own a sphere. I use that model the most. The really great thing is being able to decide later. Even if something didn't seem like the best choice at first, I've chosen a different model while mixing and gotten a good result different from other kinds of processing. And being able to mess with the off-axis behavior can be really useful. So it almost doesn't matter if the emulations are dead-on with particular specimens of vintage mics.
I was gonna say the big inherent advantage of virtual mics is the ability to model variation of the same model. So all they’d have to do is model another 67 and release it as a software download/update. Then you could have two different 67s in your mic locker.
Old 5th May 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
With the Slate VMS, we could use the Slate preamp, which is now discontinued. That seemed less than ideal.
Discontinued? Since when?
I still see it on their website
Old 6th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalPapaya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
Slate’s has the most microphone emulations
I'm not certain that is true. AFAIK, Antelope has 17 mic emulations vs 13 for Slate.
Townsend Labs Also has released the Ocean Way Collection which adds about 12 More Mic's. There is also a public beta being released with 6 more Mics and the public betas are no charge. I think the original set has 11, so altogether thats about 29 Mics. I'm sure theres more to come. I wish they could have gotten some of these Mic's in the shootout. I personally have tried The Sphere with a Millennia HV-3D 8, BAE-1073, Apollo 8, and the Focusrite ISA 2 and it shined on all of them. I also would like to add the Townsend Mic sounds good all by it self. Most of the time when I'm tracking I don't even use an emulation. I have also put it up against my Neumann U87AI, Neumann M149, Chandler ReDD Tube Mic and the L22 holds its own. Its has become my favorite. The possibilities are endless. I also have tried all 29 Mic Models and they cover all bases. To be honest with you the base set can cover it all but the added models does widen the palate. I like this Mic so much I now have two of them. Here are some of the Mic's added.

(Public Beta)

LD-414 Brass
LD-414 Nylon
LD-414 US
LD-414 T2
RB-77DX Satin
RB-77DX Umber

(OWC) UAD Platform Only
Included Mic Models

OW-47 (Neumann U 47)
OW-12 #1 (AKG C12)
OW-12 #2 (AKG C12)
OW-49 (Neumann M 49)
OW-269 (Neumann M 269)
OW-800 (Allen Sides’ prototype Sony C800G)
OW-50 (Neumann M 50)
OW-K53 (Neumann KM 53)
OW-K54 (Neumann KM 54)
OW-55 (Sony C55P)
OW-K3A (RCA KU-3A)
OW-57U3 (Shure SM57 Unidyne III)
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
I didn’t realize that.
Slate does have more models. You just need to purchase the ML2 as well. I think it has 19 additional models, so the complete Slate system has 32 models.
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Mic tests that aren't blind have no value IMO. Confirmation bias is stronger than the Force is with Luke Skywalker. Also how about some more mics that us average joes can actually afford vs all the high-priced stuff?
What's the point of only modeling cheap mics that "average Joe's can actually afford?" However the Slate ML-2 has a lot of those mics you're looking for.
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
Sure, I love the concept and it`s not horrendously overpriced. Just not something I`d invest in, that`s all. If I had no mics, and prices being equal, I`d get something like an AKG C414. It`s there, self-contained and easily repairable. For me, the software dependence, while a necessity, I can`t fix that myself. I remember Antares Mic Modeler. You chose what mike you were using, and chose a mic what you wanted it to sound like. While certainly not a direct comparison, that was kinda useless and disappeared a LONG time ago. I think it hinges on "assurance", which I don`t think many software companies can give much assurance as to what the future holds.
I'm sorry. But comparing any of these virtual microphones to that useless crap by Antares is rather disingenuous.

However, the Antares crap had one redeeming feature. It's tube saturation sounded better than anything else that was available at the time.
Old 7th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfSoul View Post
I wish they could have gotten some of these Mic's in the shootout. I personally have tried The Sphere with a Millennia HV-3D 8, BAE-1073, Apollo 8, and the Focusrite ISA 2 and it shined on all of them. I also would like to add the Townsend Mic sounds good all by it self. Most of the time when I'm tracking I don't even use an emulation.
What a perfect segue.

Anyone can download the Townsend plug-in and use it with no hardware dongle, just a registration from Townsend which is painless to get.

EASTER EGG

There are three hidden tracks in the download Virtual Mic Shootout session. They are labeled:

• Slate 800_RAW,
• Townsend 800_RAW
• Antelope 800_RAW

These are the unprocessed outputs directly from the mics. The Slate track is mono. The Townsend and Antelope tracks are stereo — the left channel is the front diaphragm and the right channel is the rear diaphragm.

With these "raw" tracks, you can download the Townsend plug-in and audition any model that you choose. So you can listen to any and all Townsend models that are released in the future by just having this session and the plug-in.

Last edited by Lynn Fuston; 7th May 2018 at 02:49 PM..
Old 7th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
What a perfect segue.

Anyone can download the Townsend plug-in and use it with no hardware dongle, just a registration from Townsend which is painless to get.

EASTER EGG

There are three hidden tracks in the download Virtual Mic Shootout session. They are labeled:

• Slate 800_RAW,
• Townsend 800_RAW
• Antelope 800_RAW

These are the unprocessed outputs directly from the mics. The Slate track is mono. The Townsend and Antelope tracks are stereo — the left channel is the front diaphragm and the right channel is the rear diaphragm.

With these "raw" tracks, you can download the Townsend plug-in and audition any model that you choose. So you can listen to any and all Townsend models that are released in the future by just having this session and the plug-in.
Good to know thanks! Will do! There is nothing more satisfying then being able to do these test yourself.
Old 8th May 2018
Slate VMS sounds hands down the closest to the real mics. Pretty much sounds just like the c800 on female vocals and the 47 on male from those examples. However in the mix you can tell a slight difference. The real mics have something the emulations don't have, in most mix examples.

The antelope sounded good on the 67 although not as close to original. Also the Townsend sounded good on the female c12

For the price. These things sound worth it. I think if you can only buy 1 buy the slate.

Quick question though. How do they take EQ?
Old 8th May 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi guys, just want to make one correction. The Slate VMS One preamp will still be available through dealers a la carte as a special order. Basically, we broke up the VMS bundle so you can buy just the mic, just the preamp, or both individually. Most dealers will stock the mic but likely not the preamp. But it will be available for those who want it. Sorry for the confusion, as our strategy regarding this situation had a few twists and turns so it may have confused some people.

To get the most accurate sound of the mics we modeled, the VMS Preamp (which will also be available on our upcoming interface VRS8) should be used, however, a high quality flat preamp will still work very well as Lynn finely demonstrated with the Millenia preamp.

Lynn thanks again for this fun comparison, and thanks everyone for taking a listen and commenting.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 8th May 2018
Here for the gear

I would have to agree with who ever said the Male Vocal choice could have been better. It would have been nice to hear the demo's with a better male Vocalist with a wider range and possibly a better choice of song. I believe this would have allowed us to hear more variations in the models.
Old 8th May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
I think if you can only buy 1 buy the slate.
You are definitely entitled to your opinion but I would have to respectfully disagree. There are a lot of other things to consider here and it all depends what satisfies your needs. Price is a factor and some of the other things to consider would be the quality build, the level of customer service and wether you can appreciate the advantages of what the two 3 dimensional Mic's the Antelope and the Townsend Labs provide over the one dimensional Slate Digital Mic. Personally I think the other two have more to offer. There is a lot more going on with the other two Mics then just emulating vintage models. You can always improve on the Mic Models as time goes on but you can't make the Slate Mic 3 dimensional. The Ability to change polar patterns, adjust proximity, adjust the Axis, layering different models in dual mode with out phase issue, the fact that the Townsend is also a perfectly in phase stereo Mic that you can use in any combination of models definitely make the Dual Diaphragm Mics a better choice IMHO. I almost forgot to mention that all this can be done with the L22 even after you record. I must say when the Slate Mic first came out it was ground breaking but now things have changed. I think the shoot-out was fair in comparing what they do have in common but theres no way to compare the things they don't have in common and this is where the Slate Mic falls short.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search