The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soft synths suck!
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Maniac

Soft synths suck!

I think I have finally given up on soft synths. They simply don't sound as good as hardware to me. I make EDM and every time I attempt to make a sound with a soft synth it sounds digital and weak.

When I press the key of any hardware synth for a simple saw wave it sounds fat and pokes out at you. With all the soft synths I own just a simple saw sounds weak right off the bat and distant.

You can tweak the hell out of a soft synth and utilize mixing techniques to help it out but you should' t have to do that. And after all that tweaking your'e still left with a result that isn't as good as analog.

Commercial records are using a lot of hardware and have that fat in your face sound which cannot be achieved with $150 soft synths.

So to all you bedroom producers out there here's some advice, save your money till you can afford a real hardware synth and learn the F$%k out it!
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear
Old 2nd March 2015
m e s s a g e b e g i n s :

s y s t e m 1

r o l a n d s h 2 p l u g o u t s y n t h

m e s s a g e e n d s
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Out of curiosity, what soft synths have you tried?
Old 2nd March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Clef View Post
Thanks, that's the funniest thing I've read online today (and my work involves reading a lot of mails from customers).
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Maniac

Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Animoog is one of the best synths I've ever heard.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Out of curiosity, what soft synths have you tried?

Omnisphere, Diva, Razor, Massive, and Bazille. Their all great for soft synths but they just don't have that fat in your face sound analog has.
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Guru

Disagree on that account regarding Diva. Very much so.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by harness View Post
I had to download that pic
Old 3rd March 2015
Gear Guru

hahahahahahah that Bra pic...hahahahah gold..!!!
Old 3rd March 2015
Deleted User
Uhhhhhhhhh...Ok, now while you all here know how I'm a huge fan of Modern Analog gear I will say this.

IF, I was on a budget, and I had only $500 to spend on equipment I'd NEVER buy 1 analog synth over say 3 soft synths.

LOOK at my signature, I've got some of the best available modern hardware synths out there. BUT as a musician first, I need to make music.
Not save up all my money for ONE damn analog hardware synth. Don't get me wrong, I'd pick my SUB 37 over just about any mono soft synth.

For the kids out there, buy soft synths if that's what you can afford, make better music, don't buy into the "gear will make you sound better....."
....IT WONT.
Old 3rd March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic Soul View Post

Omnisphere, Diva, Razor, Massive, and Bazille. Their all great for soft synths but they just don't have that fat in your face sound analog has.
Perhaps you should up your signal processing game. Guys are making hit records using just Fruity Loops.

Also, considering that Omnisphere is using actual SAMPLES of classic hardware, I'm a bit inclined to think you could use some mixing help.
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak View Post
Guys are making hit records using just Fruity Loops.
That really sums up the contemporary product-like state of music in this world
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
That really sums up the contemporary state of music in the world
Yes, it has never been so varied and interesting as now.
Old 3rd March 2015
Deleted b598644
Unfortunately, quantity doesn't equal quality
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b598644 View Post
Unfortunately, quantity doesn't equal quality
A great song or piece of music doesn't need great sounding synths, or a big studio, or high end converters. Most of the time I hear a great piece of music it's through that mono speaker on an iPhone (because someone is showing me a demo).

If you need expensive equipment, synths, tape machines etc. to create quality music, you're not an artist or musician.

That being said art is subjective, if you don't like the music being made nowadays I respect that.
Old 3rd March 2015
Gear Guru

Soft Synths Suck..

say it fast 3 times...
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post

If you need expensive equipment, synths, tape machines etc. to create quality music, you're not an artist or musician.
So any professional recording studio with huge amounts of gear can shut down
Old 3rd March 2015
Lives for gear

as a blanket statement I agree although there are many exceptions. If I had to use all software I could get by quite nicely sonically with a few TAL plugins, the roland SH plugs, some UVI packages - I already have tons of amazing plugin effects, eq and dynamics. of course it wouldn't be as fun

softsynths require a nice compressor and eq combo after them in the chain and turn the output down of the synth first. a little bit crush or saturation as well. I also love to run some mild LFO to destabilize the sound.
Old 3rd March 2015
Lives for gear

Would you mind posting an example or two of a fat analog track that you have in mind?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post
Uhhhhhhhhh...Ok, now while you all here know how I'm a huge fan of Modern Analog gear I will say this.

IF, I was on a budget, and I had only $500 to spend on equipment I'd NEVER buy 1 analog synth over say 3 soft synths.

LOOK at my signature, I've got some of the best available modern hardware synths out there. BUT as a musician first, I need to make music.
Not save up all my money for ONE damn analog hardware synth. Don't get me wrong, I'd pick my SUB 37 over just about any mono soft synth.

For the kids out there, buy soft synths if that's what you can afford, make better music, don't buy into the "gear will make you sound better....."
....IT WONT.
Actually I'd say the opposite, assuming the person had a modern DAW, which is where most people tend to start out these days. Hardware is a fun and different approach that a differs from a ITB setup and it could be exactly what someone needs to help them make better music, if not, at the very least they'll generally have fun, which is ultimately more important than the quality of the music.
Old 3rd March 2015
Lives for gear

I've heard soft synths that sound awesome. But regardless, there's always something missing. I guess that just comes down to music style, expectations, and personal taste.
Old 3rd March 2015
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Electronic Soul;10861357]

Fruity Loops

Old 3rd March 2015
Hardware sucks, too…
…or maybe we just have to learn about the right choice of instrumentation for each type of track.
Deleted b598644
[QUOTE=Mr. Varaldo;10861845]
Quote:

Fruity Loops

Nuff said
Old 3rd March 2015
Just because some artists that create music that you and I don't like doesn't mean that the tool is bad.
A DAW is just a blank piece of paper. Fruity Loops is actually quite powerful.
Old 3rd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I press the key of any hardware synth for a simple saw wave it sounds fat and pokes out at you. With all the soft synths I own just a simple saw sounds weak right off the bat and distant.
Give it a go, the opening a/b tests are just on raw waveforms; https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan...ot-1-beta.html
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon View Post
Give it a go, the opening a/b tests are just on raw waveforms; https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan...ot-1-beta.html
Yeah lets do an analog/digital test with mp3s/soundcloud/youtube sound quality

Last edited by Deleted b598644; 3rd March 2015 at 02:07 AM..
Old 3rd March 2015
Lives for gear

So I took sometime out from this place for a good 6 months with out the distraction of GS to influence my thinking.
I have come to the conclusion that the gear or choice of gear you use is really only a small part of the making track process.

You are wrong to say or think that commercial records are all using hardware. A friend of mine recently made a track using nothing but softsynths, and it sounds great.
Don't be fooled into thinking that more gear and highend is the answer to everything.
Sure some gear sounds better than some software instruments but this should not limit your success.

STOP THINKING ABOUT THE GEAR SO MUCH, only advice I can give you and move on and make something
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear