The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
console stuck in customs.... tick tock tick tock
Old 13th January 2015
console stuck in customs.... tick tock tick tock

Bought a console from the UK - original deal was an all-in payment would deliver the crate at the door of my studio. How naive I was!

Now I'm stuck covering movers from the airport to my studio, a customs broker, and to top it off the shipment was designated for exam by US customs and they don't disclose when they'll examine it.

I was given an arrival date and set everything up, dismantled my control room, then this happened. So I'm without a studio (read: income) for going on two weeks now, just sitting and waiting for presumably more bad news.

Probably should have known better, but I trusted what I was told by people who do this all the time. Maybe they all assumed I knew this stuff, although I felt I made my ignorance pretty obvious.

Oh well. Just an engineer without a studio venting - I hate sitting on my hands and doing nothing, it's driving me nuts! Already painted and put a new floor in the control room - I'm out of projects to do and can't make music. Grrrrrr!
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear
Unfortunately, US Customs is a law unto itself and if they want to sit on something, sat-upon it is!

The best you can do is call them and plead with them. Beg them to allow you to earn money! Ask your local Congressman to plead on your behalf - they have little enough to do, so they might as well be doing something for you!

The danger is that they rip the poor thing apart to see if there are drugs, guns, money, spong, wogglers, or other types of contraband inside and by doing so, damage it.
Old 14th January 2015
Lives for gear

It was probably the dog sniffing it for drugs that put it on the inspection list (residue of days past). Talking to your local congressman about this issue saying that you are out of business until you receive it may help move you up in line at customs. Stress that it's pretty silly to think drugs would be coming from the UK in an expensive console given what walks across our southern border daily or the huge amounts that enter via semi truck or shipping container. Make sure the congressman relay's your offer to help with any dis-assembly given that it is older near irreplacable electronics that can be easily damaged with improper handling.

Ask your local friends and gearslutz to lend some equipment so you can makeshift pres and a cue system at least for tracking. Some income is better than nothing. At this point in time you have to treat it like you may not receive it for months.
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Just mix everything in the box... until they let it out... jk....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search