The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korby Audio Problem with Service
Old 14th November 2014
Here for the gear

Korby Audio Problem with Service

Hey Gear Slutz,
I just want to report a situation that I, and another slutz, have experienced with Korby Audio. Tracy Korby builds microphones as you may know, but the service is horrendous. I mailed my TLM 103 there for repair and ended up having to call the local police department in Columbia, TN to go over and tell them to return my microphone. His wife, Kimberly Korby supposedly runs the operations, but she rarely return calls or email. I was told the turn around time would be 2-3 weeks on the repair and after 4 weeks, I still did not even have a quote for the repair. After 3 weeks I emailed her asking that she just return the mic since I was frustrated about the lack of communication. No reply. Their voicemail was full, and emails were not returned for another week. The one time I did speak to her (after 2 weeks), she gave me a quote on a microphone that was not even mine!! She had me confused with someone else and didn't even know where my mic was. She said she would call me back the next morning, nada.. After another week of no information I called the police department to go over and make sure they were legit. When the cop went over their, he spoke to Kim and she agreed to return my microphone the next day. This was Monday, and here it is Friday and I still do not have my TLM 103. The cop said that they are working out of their home and "seemed to be more into remodeling than working."

Another user on ProSoundWeb said he had the same experience. No returned calls, no returned emails, etc. You can find his thread there. I emailed him to find out what happened and he said they quoted him 2 weeks and it was several months before they finally returned his microphone.

Lesson learned. When I looked up Neumann Microphone Repair, they came up and seemed reputable I should have found a local place. Beware of these people.

Korby Audio Technologies in Columbia, TN
Old 14th November 2014
Jai guru deva om

It is very sad how treacherous microphone repair choices can be these days. Having said that there is a thread on here with an ex-Neumann tech who is highly reputable:

Neumann Mic Tech went independent

and likely worth investigating if you do not go the route of Sennheiser / Neumann doing your repairs.

War
Old 14th November 2014
Lives for gear

Yep. I'm the other guy that Dale references. Worst customer service I have ever experienced in any industry. I bought a KAT4 for considerable money about 10 years ago back when there were far fewer choices for vintage clone type microphones. It was a great microphone system, but anytime the mic needed servicing, I was without the mic for several months. The last time I dealt with them prompted me to trade my KAT4 for a Flea 47. The peace of mind of not having to deal with these folks again was worth it. I honestly don't know how they stay in business.
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear this

I have a matching set of KAT5s and hope that they hold up for my lifetime. Not sure what I will do if they bit the dust!!!
Old 10th November 2015
You're not the only one...

A friend of mine's studio had two Korby KAT mics. One of them was shipped to Tracy for repair.

I'm told it took 6 months to even hear back from them, and then they finally got their mic returned and working again.

This dissuaded me from sending things into Korby myself, so when my mic started sounding pretty badly, I took it to a friend named Jay Beste.

His email is: [email protected]

Jay seemed to think the issue was with the power supply, so he recapped it for me. Problem was solved—and quite affordably/quickly.

In fact, while I don't think Jay does much work with mic capsules themselves, I've yet to find an electronic repair or modification that he hasn't been able to do.

He added nice stepped pads into my ADM 780 preamps, he rewired a 240v to 120v power supply for a preamp for me, he's fixed countless synthesizers and drum machines, including my HS-60 (Juno 106 with speakers), and gosh... he's just about the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet.

Anyway. Just putting his name out there.

But yes... Korby needs to improve their service based on what I've heard.
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK View Post
I took it to a friend named Jay Beste.

His email is: [email protected]
Location?
Old 10th November 2015
Jay is in the Detroit area.
Old 11th December 2016
Gear Nut

@ original poster: How did you contact the police and how did it go down?
They've had 2 of my Kat systems for 2(!) years now and resurface sometime with some excuses but no mics.
I need my mics back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleh View Post
Hey Gear Slutz,
I just want to report a situation that I, and another slutz, have experienced with Korby Audio. Tracy Korby builds microphones as you may know, but the service is horrendous. I mailed my TLM 103 there for repair and ended up having to call the local police department in Columbia, TN to go over and tell them to return my microphone. His wife, Kimberly Korby supposedly runs the operations, but she rarely return calls or email. I was told the turn around time would be 2-3 weeks on the repair and after 4 weeks, I still did not even have a quote for the repair. After 3 weeks I emailed her asking that she just return the mic since I was frustrated about the lack of communication. No reply. Their voicemail was full, and emails were not returned for another week. The one time I did speak to her (after 2 weeks), she gave me a quote on a microphone that was not even mine!! She had me confused with someone else and didn't even know where my mic was. She said she would call me back the next morning, nada.. After another week of no information I called the police department to go over and make sure they were legit. When the cop went over their, he spoke to Kim and she agreed to return my microphone the next day. This was Monday, and here it is Friday and I still do not have my TLM 103. The cop said that they are working out of their home and "seemed to be more into remodeling than working."

Another user on ProSoundWeb said he had the same experience. No returned calls, no returned emails, etc. You can find his thread there. I emailed him to find out what happened and he said they quoted him 2 weeks and it was several months before they finally returned his microphone.

Lesson learned. When I looked up Neumann Microphone Repair, they came up and seemed reputable I should have found a local place. Beware of these people.

Korby Audio Technologies in Columbia, TN
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Addict

I sent Tracy a U87 that had a blown capsule and it took him forever to finish it. At least 8 months. But he added a few modifications and custom tuned it free of charge because it took so long. It is truly magical what he does. Yes, you have to abuse him a little to get things to happen, but that's always the way it's been with him. It was definitely worth the wait.
Old 13th December 2016
Seems like high end mic's are always breaking down.

I don't think they are worth the thousands they cost if they don't last.
Old 21st December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Seems like high end mic's are always breaking down.

I don't think they are worth the thousands they cost if they don't last.
In the case of my U87, it was abuse by the video people that snuffed it.
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

Finding an honest Vintage microphone repairman has been impossible for me so far. I have a U47 and a U67 that often need attention.
I have sent them off 6 or 7 times to different repaimen. I've been heavily GOUGHED every single time! They just cannot help themselves...
And then of course, they hold your mic until payment is recieved... There's nothing like a vintage Neumann for sound but man, you pay the price
with these unscrupulous repairman....
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrie louden View Post
And then of course, they hold your mic until payment is recieved...
Weird. When ever I get something fixed, they give it back and tell me "pay when you want, no hurry."
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear

Another bad Korby experience..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlior View Post
[MENTI ON=21015]original poster: How did you contact the police and how did it go down?
They've had 2 of my Kat systems for 2(!) years now and resurface sometime with some excuses but no mics.
I need my mics back!
Yes... I also had a terrible experience with Korby.. Same thing. He wouldn't return my phone calls or my Vintage U47. I had to call the cops and they went to his house and I finally got him to send it back..
But he also ruined my coveted vintage U47. He reskinned the capsule just to make a buck when it did not need it.. It cost me thousands to try and get the sound back. It never came back... Horrible thing to do me and the microphone. There are only so many of these Mic's left...
Old 15th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Yep. I'm the other guy that Dale references. Worst customer service I have ever experienced in any industry. I bought a KAT4 for considerable money about 10 years ago back when there were far fewer choices for vintage clone type microphones. It was a great microphone system, but anytime the mic needed servicing, I was without the mic for several months. The last time I dealt with them prompted me to trade my KAT4 for a Flea 47. The peace of mind of not having to deal with these folks again was worth it. I honestly don't know how they stay in business.
Honestly, how do you like the sound of your flea 47? Have you ever worked with a vintage Neumann U47 to compare? I'm only asking because I have found it impossible to find an honest and fair repairman for my vintage 47 & 67..
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Nut

How did you contact the cops? How recently did you have contact with the Korby’s? I’m 4 years in and still no mics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrie louden View Post
Yes... I also had a terrible experience with Korby.. Same thing. He wouldn't return my phone calls or my Vintage U47. I had to call the cops and they went to his house and I finally got him to send it back..
But he also ruined my coveted vintage U47. He reskinned the capsule just to make a buck when it did not need it.. It cost me thousands to try and get the sound back. It never came back... Horrible thing to do me and the microphone. There are only so many of these Mic's left...
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlior View Post
How did you contact the cops? How recently did you have contact with the Korby’s? I’m 4 years in and still no mics...
Doubtful that happened. You don't call the cops for a civil property matter and if you do, they should tell you they have better things to do and you need to file suit.

So what do you do? You create what's called a "Letter of Demand". You document your interactions, send a letter of demand via USPS certified mail detailing what it is you want, how long they've had your property, what you'e done to try and get your property back and give a definitive date for the return of your property or you let them know you will file suit in small claims court for the money you feel you've been cheated. You be direct, to the point and avoid emotion. No one in court cares about your outrage, save it for the Internet.

If you can't make it to Nashville, Tennessee civil law allows you to hire a local attorney to represent your interests in small claims court.

You could also contact an attorney and have them do the "Letter of Demand," etc. for you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I did all that. A few times.
They're gone from Nashville and I can't track them. This is not about internet outrage, just about getting my prized mics back. If anyone here know where to find Tracy and company, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Doubtful that happened. You don't call the cops for a civil property matter and if you do, they should tell you they have better things to do and you need to file suit.

So what do you do? You create what's called a "Letter of Demand". You document your interactions, send a letter of demand via USPS certified mail detailing what it is you want, how long they've had your property, what you'e done to try and get your property back and give a definitive date for the return of your property or you let them know you will file suit in small claims court for the money you feel you've been cheated. You be direct, to the point and avoid emotion. No one in court cares about your outrage, save it for the Internet.

If you can't make it to Nashville, Tennessee civil law allows you to hire a local attorney to represent your interests in small claims court.

You could also contact an attorney and have them do the "Letter of Demand," etc. for you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search