The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I replace a band member? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 31st August 2014
Village Idiot

Separate the issues.

1. Does your band need a new drummer to progress?

2. Would "new guy" fit the bill, both musically and socially in the band context.

What you're currently doing is keeping people in the dark, betting on two horses, idealizing a "new found love" while finding faults with the old one. It seems like the old drummer would not be replaced if you did not have a replacement ready, which makes it seem like a dodgy affair.

So, since you asked - Separate the issues, and treat people with some respect and dignity. And if you need a new drummer, let the current drummer go (even if you need him for two well paying gigs), start looking for a new one and include the "new guy" in the search. The current drummer will probably still play the shows.

Gustav
Old 2nd September 2014
Lives for gear
I have seen otherwise great bands fail and break up, simply because the band leaders did not have the gumption to fire weaker members.

And if that weaker member is the drummer, the whole sound of the band suffers to the point where others think that none of you can play.
Old 4th September 2014
Gear Nut

I did not read every reply, so I hope this isn't redundant...

Sounds to me like there could be more to the story?

For instance, are you guys really up for a hot-sh*t drummer?

A great drummer is like a really hot chick. They are born with this ability, and they know they can have whomever they like.

So, if you kick "just ok" drummer out for "hot" drummer, are you sure the band is up to the level that matches the drummers ability? In other words, do your numbers match?

If you are not a good enough band to consistently impress Mr. hot-sh*t, be prepared to be broken-up with yourself some day soon.

As an aside, I have seen really great drummers play with simple but solid bands and it works great because it leaves more space for fancy drumming...

All that considered, do not waste your time with anyone who isn't helping you towards your musical goal. LIFE IS SHORT!

Get what you need as kindly as possible.

Old 7th September 2014

If you need to replace the bass player,
you can order the Gene Simmons life-size cardboard cutout here:

SU-448 Gene Simmons Of Kiss Life Size Standup -

They're sold out now, so you might have to wait a while.

Best of luck.

Old 7th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
I have seen otherwise great bands fail and break up, simply because the band leaders did not have the gumption to fire weaker members.

And if that weaker member is the drummer, the whole sound of the band suffers to the point where others think that none of you can play.

Indeed. In fact, this is the typical scenario.

Finding a great drummer, or simply a drummer who keeps great time, doesn't overplay, etc. is paramount!

Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlebox View Post
I am in a big quandry here people, and I hope you give me a chance and not call me a jerk right out of the gate.

I have been playing with a drummer since 2009, and we have done some really great things in my band together. The problem is, he has become increasingly distracted over the past year (checking phone between songs at rehearsal for instance), and has never really gotten involved with band business - even given assignments over the years, which always fall by the wayside.

From a performance standpoint, I would give him a B-. He used to rehearse at home with a metronome, but over the past 5 years, I have really not seen him improve or evolve with the rest of us. I also took a vacation 2 weeks ago and was listening to a couple previous albums of ours, and just lamented some of the slightly off time performances on the albums. He has never been 100% solid.

This is what happened to me last weekend.

I met somebody else. LOL. I own a recording studio, and this young band came in with this drummer that was simply incredible. Think TAYLOR HAWKINS / DAVE GROHL here. Yes, he really was that good. At the end of their session, he wanted to record some drum tracks, and brought in some MP3's to play along with. In a couple cases, I had to set up a metronome for him. This guy NAILED each take, almost perfectly, hardly EVER deviating from the click. He was doing incredible 16'ths at times with tom fills, and kick pedal hits (using ONE pedal by the way). Just blew my mind.

Then he told me this band was breaking up, and he was interested in working with me. He listened to my band, and was REALLY interested in working with me.

SO....that's where I am.

This guy would make my band 200% better. We're writing and just going to be starting to record new material. Rehearsing last night, and listening to my current drummer - was SUCH a let down. He has been playing 30 years, and this kid that came in is only 20. He blows my drummer away so bad, it isn't even funny.

What should I do?!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F33V34o0OwE
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search