The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't buy AVID products right now
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

Don't buy AVID products right now

Hi I wanted to forewarn anyone thinking of getting pro tools or an avid interface. The company STILL has not come out with a stable version of pro tools 10 for mavericks, software including drivers contain multiple bugs, mine being the kernel_task using 100% of my CPUs power, slowing down my whole system.

They are taking FOREVER to update their software to newer, more relevant computers.
There are tons of little exceptions on their compatibility chart saying that this specific piece of hardware won't work with this specific software BS ex. -

NOTES:
* The 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro is not recommended for Pro Tools with FireWire interfaces.
Previous MacBook Pro models (Core 2 Duo and earlier) are not supported or recommended for use with Pro Tools 11.
** Preliminary testing has shown that USB audio interfaces (Fast Track Solo, Fast Track Duo, Avid Mbox, Eleven Rack) may experience issues on 2013 "Haswell" MacBook Pros at this time, as performance can be hindered by random AAE -6101 and -6104 errors.

WHAT KIND OF COMPANY DOES THIS AND STILL GETS AWAY WITH SELLING SOFTWARE FOR $700!!!! Not only that, if you want to talk to avid it'll cost you $40 for a one time help! Switch to some other company if you can before its too late!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey8989896 View Post
Hi I wanted to forewarn anyone thinking of getting pro tools or an avid interface. The company STILL has not come out with a stable version of pro tools 10 for mavericks, software including drivers contain multiple bugs, mine being the kernel_task using 100% of my CPUs power, slowing down my whole system.

They are taking FOREVER to update their software to newer, more relevant computers.
There are tons of little exceptions on their compatibility chart saying that this specific piece of hardware won't work with this specific software BS ex. -

NOTES:
* The 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro is not recommended for Pro Tools with FireWire interfaces.
Previous MacBook Pro models (Core 2 Duo and earlier) are not supported or recommended for use with Pro Tools 11.
** Preliminary testing has shown that USB audio interfaces (Fast Track Solo, Fast Track Duo, Avid Mbox, Eleven Rack) may experience issues on 2013 "Haswell" MacBook Pros at this time, as performance can be hindered by random AAE -6101 and -6104 errors.

WHAT KIND OF COMPANY DOES THIS AND STILL GETS AWAY WITH SELLING SOFTWARE FOR $700!!!! Not only that, if you want to talk to avid it'll cost you $40 for a one time help! Switch to some other company if you can before its too late!
You haven't been doing this very long have you?
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict
Good thing you updated to Mavericks. Couldn't live without all those... ya know, features.
Old 12th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
Avid products working great here.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Mine is running pretty smooth, but I didn't upgrade to Maverick's. Not sure that officially supported at this time.
Oh, and I found this from a few months ago. http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...mavericks.html
L.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac
Pro tools 10? That's so last year
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
You haven't been doing this very long have you?
Edit: i miss understood your insult for a question about mavericks. I'm new to Mac but I've been recording for a good while.
Old: A couple months now. I ordered mountain lion from apple today. I have pro tools 11 but my plugins don't transfer edit: I understand why they don't transfer...
Old 12th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
A couple months now. I ordered mountain lion from apple today. I have pro tools 11 but my plugins don't transfer
That's because PT 11 requires AAX 64 bit plugins only.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure it's a known issue with apples hardware not AVIDs software, these issues have supposedly been addressed with 10.9.2.

I remember this from the aphex 500 rack threads. Apple was getting code fixes to hardware devs.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a known issue with apples hardware not AVIDs software, these issues have supposedly been addressed with 10.9.2.

I remember this from the aphex 500 rack threads. Apple was getting code fixes to hardware devs.
I updated to 10.9.2 and still have the same problem. I went to apple genius bar and they scanned my computer hardware and told me it was an avid problem because everything checked out ok.

Also I'm ordering a FireWire to thunderbolt cable to use with my 003+ factory to see if that will change anything.

Thanks for the posts guys really appreciate it
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Well, if Apple said its Avid's fault then I guess it is. However, so many of us are doing so well with Avid. I wonder it that means, when you analyze these two things, to try and come to a valid conclusion?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

i was forced to buy a new Macbook Pro with mavericks pre installed. protools 10 running like crap, content errors!
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
Good thing you updated to Mavericks. Couldn't live without all those... ya know, features.
I just laughed out loud! Thanks man...
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

This thread should be moved to the moan zone.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

is it Avid responsibility to adjust PT's to work with every new piece of gear and plugin that comes out.I'm sure they would like to do that but that is a lot of work.I think it should be the other way around.If you sell a plugin you should make sure it works with PT's or in this case Mavericks.Don't you think so.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I usually don't do these type of threads but... The joy I'm experiencing with my new MBPr, Mavericks and Pro Tools 10 is indescribable. I know how frustrating it can be when problems arise that don't seem to have an easy solution. Sorry to hear that your experience isn't similar. Instead of pulling the fire alarm, maybe ask for help from some of the experts/pros that are on this board? They are very generous with sharing knowledge. GS has always come thru for me in the past.

Good luck.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 View Post
Right because major DAW companies aren't expected to update their products in a reasonable amount of time for OS updates (reasonable being upon release or within weeks). Your post is just dumb, and I don't even use Pro Tools.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
I usually don't do these type of threads but... The joy I'm experiencing with my new MBPr, Mavericks and Pro Tools 10 is indescribable.
Are you using an interface? My problems seem to revolve around this issue.
Old 12th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
It's always a good thing to do your homework prior to making large purchases. Helps you to avoid surprises and disappointments.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you using an interface? My problems seem to revolve around this issue.

002 Black Lion Sig Mod
Old 12th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweedrummer View Post
i was forced to buy a new Macbook Pro with mavericks pre installed. protools 10 running like crap, content errors!
Odd. Nobody could ever force me to buy anything let alone a laptop. If they did succeed it surely wouldn't be Avid's fault if it didn't run right. I suppose if anyone would be to blame it would be me.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

Man I think you 5 year member guys are being too harsh and unhelpful. I think we need to at least raise concern about the products because avid doesn't seem to want to talk unless you got $40 for ASC.

You guys seem to just take whatever the company gives you, excepting the problems as "it's just the way it is" and criticizing others when they didn't read the small print on one page of the avid support page.

I think the fact that most people "just deal with it" is one of the main reasons avid doesn't feel it needs to hurry up with updates and real fixes.
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

Hey Joey...

please read your first post again, especially the headline. Ask your self if it's right to raise a ****storm when you are searching for help?

Regards
Maik
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
Odd. Nobody could ever force me to buy anything let alone a laptop. If they did succeed it surely wouldn't be Avid's fault if it didn't run right. I suppose if anyone would be to blame it would be me.
In peeweedrummer's defense, I think his point was the laptop had Mavericks on it. Not the laptop itself.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Man I think you 5 year member guys are being too harsh and unhelpful. I think we need to at least raise concern about the products because avid doesn't seem to want to talk unless you got $40 for ASC.

You guys seem to just take whatever the company gives you, excepting the problems as "it's just the way it is" and criticizing others when they didn't read the small print on one page of the avid support page.

I think the fact that most people "just deal with it" is one of the main reasons avid doesn't feel it needs to hurry up with updates and real fixes.
To be brutally frank, the OP has a good point.

Nearly all the manufacturers of the more complex DAWs just do not deliver complete systems. We had the same issue with PT and with Soundscape. You expect things to work out of the box and all you get is a pile of bits and you have to spend hours or even days piecing the whole thing together.

If you are a computer nut, this is fine - almost recreational! But if you just want to record, this is anything but fine.

With PT, we even had a salesman from some systems house come past the studio and promise that everything would work just fine. It would come as a complete system. Just plug it in and go! Did it hell! Bits missing that had to be ordered. Some dufus verification code was on a floppy for a Mac that didn’t have a floppy drive.

Soundscape was the same. They did not even provide (at the time, I believe that has now changed) complete systems. We had to build a PC to house the mix card, the handbook was virtual, the software was on-line, the whole thing was obviously just for computer nuts.

Although everybody working here is as computer literate as the next guy, we don’t have the time or the desire to footle about with boxes of bits, unfathomable handbooks that are just a flow of vague thoughts, menus that don’t make sense and having to battle poorly scripted websites that don’t work with all browsers.

I don’t want to open an on-line account, create a name and remember a password, download my activation code and the software that I thought I had paid for in the first place already! Customers have to pay hundreds and sometimes even thousands and thousands of pounds or dollars for a DAW. I expect a product that is complete, sophisticated, easy to use and finished.

We certainly do not expect a system that only works with selected hardware. If the system only works with some things and not with others, build a complete system, put it in a box and sell that!

Either your software works in Windows or OSX, or it does not. Make your mind up! If it only works with some things and not with others, then it isn’t finished yet!

Imagine buying a car like that! A car is a far, far more complex bit of machinery than a DAW, but I can get into any car and know where everything is. It will drive on all roads and is able to use any standard gasoline or diesel.

Imagine having to build the thing yourself!

“Ah, well Sir, you’ve probably put the wrong sort of engine in there and I’m afraid the windshield comes extra! If you want to know which engines are suitable, you are going to have to open a service incident and pay to hear a list of engines approved by the manufacturer!”

We don’t put up with this crap from CAD-CAM systems. We don’t get lead by the nose by Adobe CS and it works on anything. Book-keeping software does not collapse and fail totally now and then. Why do we put up with this nonsense from certain DAW manufacturers?
Old 12th March 2014
If you are not computer literate and you are in audio today GOOD LUCK!

The car analogy is not a good one for today's cars. In the past I was able to "fix" most things on my cars. I could change the oil, the spark plugs, and the distributor points. I could time the engine and take apart and clean the carburetor. Today I take my car to the local mechanic. I don't have the tools he has and all the equipment he needs to trouble shoot the computer on board if something goes wrong. Heck I cannot even figure out how to get off all the shields on my engine to work on it.

On the computer side I am much more comfortable. I built the last three computers I use every day and the are all running well. I had to do a lot of trouble shooting and luckily (knock on wood) I have been able to successfully fix any problems that have arisen. Computers I understand, autos not so much any more.

Things in software are a lot more complex than they use to be. Apple has introduced three new OS upgrades in the past 3.5 years and every time they introduce a new OS software companies have to scramble to change their software to utilize the new OS features. It is even worse on the PC side. If you don't know what you are getting yourself into then stay with something that works and don't always go for the newest OS upgrade unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time troubleshooting. We do video editing and just upgraded all of our workstations to Maverick. The change over went smoothly and with minimum problems BUT I was prepared to do a lot of troubleshooting if it did not. I am still using Windows XP SP3 on most of our older PCs and most of them are now dual boot with Windows 7 being the "other" operating OS. I refuse to go to Windows 8 until they get it stable.

Best of luck and let us know how things are progressing...
Old 12th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
In peeweedrummer's defense, I think his point was the laptop had Mavericks on it. Not the laptop itself.
I understand but that's not Avid's fault though. If I was looking for a laptop to use for PT I would certainly check for compatibility issues first. The last two laptops I've purchased I used with PT with no problems but I did check out specs, OS etc prior to spending the money.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
1. I don't expect to have to work on my car. I expect to just drive it.

2. How come nearly all other SW makers seem to be able to keep up with the likes of Maverick and W8? How come my ancient copies of Corel 11 from ten years ago work on W8? How come every Adobe CS from one to six will work on Windows 8?

3. If certain DAW makers honestly believe that they can restrict their customer base to the computer literate, then they are in for a nasty shock - well actually, Avid are experiencing that shock already!

4. If I (who has been using computers since 1981) cannot fathom out Avid's various options, models and standards for plug-ins, what chance has some elderly classical musician who can just about use his laptop?

5. Kids today expect things to just work. If they want something, they press the 'Buy' button on ther iPhone and hey-presto! It arrives and works!

The days of having to fiddle about with boxes of bits are over, just as the days when you had to clean the points and plugs on your car are over!
Old 12th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Man I think you 5 year member guys are being too harsh and unhelpful. I think we need to at least raise concern about the products because avid doesn't seem to want to talk unless you got $40 for ASC
You don't have to do that. There are a lot of great folks here who are more than willing to help get your system up and running.

Avid Pro Audio Community - Powered by vBulletin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search