The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't buy AVID products right now
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Children, children, realize that the adults have been using protools for a decade and never have any issues.

Like children, they have no idea what they do not know.
As Socrates says: "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Gimme a break man. Are you suggesting that no pros have issues with Avid or Protools??

What makes a Pro in your opinion? Someone with an unlimited budget to craft a mega machine that Avid dictates and will run protools...? To me that just sounds like a cop-out. To blindly deny that any trouble experienced by users makes you wonder about who's working with a child mentality.
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Pro tools is cheap compared to it's predecessors $100K for a Studer 24 track plus install.
$1M for a top on the line Synclavier.
I think Avid prices are a deal.
I make 6 figure income off a $40K Pro Tools rig. So I can't comment on a $250.00 Mbox that is broken.
RTAS - All of my plug-ins cost me ZERO to upgrade to AAX except McDSP & Sonnox.

CPTK - we upgraded a couple of those to Pro tools HD 11 for $600.00 again very cheap to to do.

I have no real show stopping issues that prevent me from doing my job.
But I have no doubt that Avid treats high end customers different from MBox users. It's like buyer a Mercedes compared to Ford a high end car owner is going to get a different level of service.
FWIW I thinks Avid's hardware upgrade is excellent compared anyone else in the computer industry. Plus Avid gear second hand value stays high for many years.
I'll give the Pro Control / Control 24 thing thing OTH I believe Avid offers a hardware exchange to C24 Avid | Trade Your Control|24 or Third-Party Mixer for C|24 and Save
Awesome. So you have addressed zero of my particular concerns, with the exception of dropping some nice financial information! Well at least you are better than Avid in respects to reporting finances.. lol Would you like a pat on the back for your success? I don't understand..FWIW I bought an MBox years ago because of the ability to offer portable recording sessions with some clients. I could bring the studio to them...Which proved lucrative (in my small blue collar music world ) We obviously have different views but we do not need to belittle one another to try to strengthen our points. Maybe you didnt mean it that way..thats cool.

The larger point is that if Avid sells MBOXs they should take pride in them, their reputation as a company and the people who pay for them. Could you stoop down for a moment and discuss whether you approve of the way my repair was handled? You seemed to ignore that part.. And since your analogy of treating Mercedes customers is on the table...What about the Pro Control Control 24 debacle? What about that? Elaborate...To think a $250 purchase is laughable in this current market also proves that your thinking inside the box for lack of a better phrase..Large bulky and traditional studios are closing their doors left and right. The times are a changin' my friend.

What about the other items I listed that you forgot....?"I think Avid prices are a deal!!" HAhaha, wow, ok. I respect your opnion, but I don't think it's necessary to act superior or snarky because you happen to have a higher budget...
Old 31st March 2014
Quote:
....but I don't think it's necessary to act superior or snarky because you happen to have a higher budget...
Is that what you think his point was? I don't think you even think that, it just makes a good sound bite for you soapboxing.

What I got out of it is, "I have a large ptools rig: it works, the hardware works, the support works and I make money because of it."

Conversly, Though I've used many a Mix/HD rig, I only own a lowly copy of ptools 10 running RME hardware on PC. Here's my take:

"It works, the hardware works, never needed support and I make money because of it."
Old 31st March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
Maybe you didnt mean it that way..thats cool.
Did you miss that? Thanks for translating though... ??? Soap boxing.. not a big Michael Moore fan, but nice one buddy!
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Louis,

I am not here to defend Avid, far from it. But my experience with their customer service is very different. I paid for service on a phone call once, but have called a dozen or so times.

I am still on an old platform, PT9 I think. But my problems have been rare, and I have been using PT since 1992 when it was a useless two track program.

Maybe I have been smart or simply lucky by staying a version or two behind. My hardware and systems have always worked perfectly, with minor exceptions.

I remain, however, skeptical, about Avid as a company. I think the IP might be better in other hands. It certainly hasn't turned out as I envisioned.

I have also made a six and mostly seven figure income through all those years. I am left scrambling to decide what to do now.

For me, I am in a holding pattern and will be until the dust settles.

I believe, seriously, your issues. It just points to more internal problems inside Avid.

I.hope PT survives and prospers regardless.

Apologies for spelling and grammar, it is hard to be accurate on this tablet.
Old 1st April 2014
Quote:
That last statement is astounding!!! I HAVE broken down specific examples as to why their customer relations approach is terrible, and I don't have the time to do it again. Have you not read the countless complaints from pissed off customers all over the internet?

But upon your request, I will tell you my experience with the repair department since you have mentioned how great they are. I had an Mbox some years ago that had a free spinning preamp mic/line input gain knob..it wasn't functioning, must have snapped internally or something, not sure.. I sent it out for repair through a retail music store (with a full description of an obvious simple problem) and waited literally 3 months to have it returned to me with an inspection sticker indicating that it passed quality control and was repaired !! Before I left the vendor where i picked up the "repaired" unit, I opened the box to try it out. Presto! SAME EXACT ISSUE> FREE SPINNING KNOB.

I do not want to elaborate in detail with my other issues so here's a quick list:

Bug ridden software
Overpriced everything $$$
paid customer support (with the exception of one free ticket per thousands invested $)
Intentional limitations of software functionality (locked features) $$$$
CPTK debacle - Hose job $$$$
Intentionally not supporting Control 24/ pro control on PT 11 $$$
Discontinuing RTAS (while creating artificial panic and need for AAX) $$$
Using paying customers as Beta testers $$$
Taking upwards of 6 months to rectify bugs (ex. GUI freeze issue Pt 10)
Releasing new versions before stabilizing old releases. $$$

I invite you to justify and minimize my list. I do not expect you or any Avid defender to admit any room for improvement. But if you at least respected my points as being valid, that would be a start I guess.
I can't comment on your mbox issue. But the rest of the list is an opinion on pricing and uniformed technical opinion. The Mbox support issue is the only concrete thing you have there.

Whilst that's unfortunate, it depends on the path of the repair process. In the uk for example, repairs are handled by Technical Earth, the official Avid service centre. If a tech there made an error or they took a long time, yes avid are responsible but it's not really a reflection of how efficient their company are.

You have to stick to the facts here. Writing a load of points about how you think things are too expensive, or that you "don't see" why a different plugin format might be necessary, isn't really that.
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFlood View Post
Louis,

I am not here to defend Avid, far from it. But my experience with their customer service is very different. I paid for service on a phone call once, but have called a dozen or so times.

I am still on an old platform, PT9 I think. But my problems have been rare, and I have been using PT since 1992 when it was a useless two track program.

Maybe I have been smart or simply lucky by staying a version or two behind. My hardware and systems have always worked perfectly, with minor exceptions.

I remain, however, skeptical, about Avid as a company. I think the IP might be better in other hands. It certainly hasn't turned out as I envisioned.

I have also made a six and mostly seven figure income through all those years. I am left scrambling to decide what to do now.

For me, I am in a holding pattern and will be until the dust settles.

I believe, seriously, your issues. It just points to more internal problems inside Avid.

I.hope PT survives and prospers regardless.

Apologies for spelling and grammar, it is hard to be accurate on this tablet.
Well said. Thank you for chiming in. I totally understand and acknowledge that certain people have had pleasant experiences with Avid/Protools. Equally, I am also well aware that MANY people resent them and their products. Thanks again and I do believe that you are making the right decisions, especially waiting this whole thing out.
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I can't comment on your mbox issue. But the rest of the list is an opinion on pricing and uniformed technical opinion. The Mbox support issue is the only concrete thing you have there.

Whilst that's unfortunate, it depends on the path of the repair process. In the uk for example, repairs are handled by Technical Earth, the official Avid service centre. If a tech there made an error or they took a long time, yes avid are responsible but it's not really a reflection of how efficient their company are.

You have to stick to the facts here. Writing a load of points about how you think things are too expensive, or that you "don't see" why a different plugin format might be necessary, isn't really that.
I appreciate your points. I have never claimed that all I have said is fact. I mean, what is a fact anyway? Are your opinions "Facts" either? You feel as though Avid has delivered. That's absolutely ok. I respectfully disagree. But I do not feel as though you are in the position to determine whether what I say is "uninformed" "concrete " or not. In addition to my audio career (night and weekend job) I have been a professor of Consumer Education courses for upwards of 10 years. With that resume along with being a Protools user for the same amount of years makes my thoughts and analyses relevant, informed and valuable to this ongoing debate. My opinions are just as concrete as yours and everyone else's. And that is also my opinion

If you poke around the internet, you will discover an exorbitant amount of content reflecting my position and opinions. Might I also add, that these people are not just teenage ignorant bedroom producers either. Maybe some, but I have came across many professional and articulate Avid dissenters, some even former employees. This company for some reason (which I believe are the same gripes I have) has generated a huge amount of contempt in many people. That is not for you or I to own. It is Avid who now is in the position to "****e or get off the pot."

I respect your opinions, but I would ask if you also respect my voice as well. I believe all of my opinions are rock solid concrete.

Thank You,

Lou
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
I appreciate your points. I have never claimed that all I have said is fact. I mean, what is a fact anyway? Are your opinions "Facts" either? You feel as though Avid has delivered. That's absolutely ok. I respectfully disagree.

I respect your opinions, but I would ask if you also respect my voice as well. I believe all of my opinions are rock solid concrete.

Thank You,

Lou
For sure there is some discontent and for sure that discontent is a large portion of what makes it to internet at all. But it is also true that much of the contented use does not make it to the internet. Avid claims as of March to have sold over 11,000 HDX systems alone. Not to mention HDN and native systems. Logically one can assume the majority are not having significant issues.
I don't think anyones is questioning the legitimacy of your frustration. It is perhaps more what is seen as hyperbole, that is being questioned
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
For sure there is some discontent and for sure that discontent is a large portion of what makes it to internet at all. But it is also true that much of the contented use does not make it to the internet. Avid claims as of March to have sold over 11,000 HDX systems alone. Not to mention HDN and native systems. Logically one can assume the majority are not having significant issues.
I don't think anyones is questioning the legitimacy of your frustration. It is perhaps more what is seen as hyperbole, that is being questioned
Thanks for chiming in. Sounds like good numbers.. Could you please post a source for that figure? I was under the impression that noone actually knows what is going on regarding Avid's books. Hence the delisting on the Stock exchange. As far as assuming that most people who are content do not post on the internet, we can also assume that there are many other discontented customers who do not post either. It can work both ways. But i do not think i am using hyperbole either way. Just voicing my reasons for frustration. After all, I did not start this thread..

But i have no issue with healthy discussions such as this. Thank you for being respectful.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks for chiming in. Sounds like good numbers.. Could you please post a source for that figure? I was under the impression that noone actually knows what is going on regarding Avid's books. Hence the delisting on the Stock exchange. As far as assuming that most people who are content do not post on the internet, we can also assume that there are many other discontented customers who do not post either. It can work both ways. But i do not think i am using hyperbole either way. Just voicing my reasons for frustration. After all, I did not start this thread..

But i have no issue with healthy discussions such as this. Thank you for being respectful.
No prob and you're welcome, this is where I read it, as posted on the DUC
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/avid-s...130000234.html
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

No prob and you're welcome, this is where I read it, as posted on the DUC
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/avid-s...130000234.html
Super. Sounds awesome, but it's also coming from an Avid press release, geared toward marketing. We shall see. I hope they continue to focus on ProTools.
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could you stoop down for a moment and discuss whether you approve of the way my repair was handled?
First of all your problem is not AVID it's your dealer.
If you would have registered your Avid product they would have sent you an automatic email with a support code..
Past your 30/90 day support code - NO PROBLEM. Your know was obviously broken - so you do NEED tech support. you need a warranty repair.
NO problem just READ that registration email for the phone number here is
650 -731- 6100 then press option 4 for hardware repairs
YOU DO NOT NEED A SUPPORT CODE FOR A REPAIR!
Avid will do a warranty reapir 7-14 days - you can get rush repairs upon
request - though they may be fee for it.
NO warranty - NO problem
Avid has flat rate repair charge for out of warranty repairs
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
First of all your problem is not AVID it's your dealer.
If you would have registered your Avid product they would have sent you an automatic email with a support code..
Past your 30/90 day support code - NO PROBLEM. Your know was obviously broken - so you do NEED tech support. you need a warranty repair.
NO problem just READ that registration email for the phone number here is
650 -731- 6100 then press option 4 for hardware repairs
YOU DO NOT NEED A SUPPORT CODE FOR A REPAIR!
Avid will do a warranty reapir 7-14 days - you can get rush repairs upon
request - though they may be fee for it.
NO warranty - NO problem
Avid has flat rate repair charge for out of warranty repairs
Dude this was years and years ago.. Problem is already solved! Lol at the problem was with the vendor and not Avid! Breathe man.
Old 2nd April 2014
Quote:
I appreciate your points. I have never claimed that all I have said is fact. I mean, what is a fact anyway? Are your opinions "Facts" either? You feel as though Avid has delivered. That's absolutely ok. I respectfully disagree. But I do not feel as though you are in the position to determine whether what I say is "uninformed" "concrete " or not. In addition to my audio career (night and weekend job) I have been a professor of Consumer Education courses for upwards of 10 years. With that resume along with being a Protools user for the same amount of years makes my thoughts and analyses relevant, informed and valuable to this ongoing debate. My opinions are just as concrete as yours and everyone else's. And that is also my opinion

If you poke around the internet, you will discover an exorbitant amount of content reflecting my position and opinions. Might I also add, that these people are not just teenage ignorant bedroom producers either. Maybe some, but I have came across many professional and articulate Avid dissenters, some even former employees. This company for some reason (which I believe are the same gripes I have) has generated a huge amount of contempt in many people. That is not for you or I to own. It is Avid who now is in the position to "****e or get off the pot."

Thank You,

Lou
Earlier in the thread, you made the comment "the truth hurts, doesn't it?". Well...no, not really. One example of confusing fact with opinion.

I respect your opinion that done things are more expensive than they needed to be.

What I don't respect is the moaning about discontinued this, unable to support that - this is uninformed opinion, which isn't deserving of respect.

If you can provide proof that Tdm systems or the rtas plugin format could be modified to support 64bit software simply, please do. That is then informed opinion. Given that it's probably a lot more hassle for avid to ask everyone to provide a new format, in guessing it was unavoidable. You might be annoyed at having to pay update costs, but I'm annoyed at having to get new tyres for my car. However, I recognise it as necessary. If you're not fussed about 64bit processing, no worries - just stay where you are. If you WANT that upgrade, you might have to make some financial decisions.

It's not just Avid - every large tech company gets disgruntled users. Avid probably gets more because of it's stature, size and industry position - regardless of if it deserves some of it (and I'm not defending decisions made, only pointing out that there's inherent hate there already).

Your mbox situation is also uninformed opinion directed at the wrong person - it seems like you simply don't know how things work, and are blaming the wrong person (because you already don't like them).

That mbox would never have gone near Avid - that's not how their repair setup works. They don't handle their own repairs, it's subcontracted to repair centres as I pointed out. Your dealer would have shipped it to one of these repair centres, and the only involvement Avid would have had is to ok the repair cost if under warranty.

I KNOW this because I did a similar thing for my 002 when the power harness failed. I dropped it off at Technical Earth in North London, and picked it up a week later (warranty repair). The only thing Avid did was give me a returns code - they never saw the box, and I dealt with Tech Earth directly.

If there was a massive delay, the fault is with your dealer or the repair company. If it's a regular problem, obviously the onus is on Avid to find better repair companies to contract, but isolated issues lie with the individual suppliers.

Does that make sense? Yes you got shoddy service, but it wasn't an Avid tech sitting your box on the shelf for months, then slapping a sticker on it and sending it back. I'd wager your shop may never have sent it anywhere....but who knows. I'm just pointing out how things work.

So I DO respect the opinions you hold where you're understanding what happens, but someone holding opinions based on incorrect information should be informed don't you think? Do you blame the farmer raising the cow, or the restaurant serving you the meal for the meat that has gone off?
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Earlier in the thread, you made the comment "the truth hurts, doesn't it?". Well...no, not really. One example of confusing fact with opinion.

I respect your opinion that done things are more expensive than they needed to be.

What I don't respect is the moaning about discontinued this, unable to support that - this is uninformed opinion, which isn't deserving of respect.

If you can provide proof that Tdm systems or the rtas plugin format could be modified to support 64bit software simply, please do. That is then informed opinion. Given that it's probably a lot more hassle for avid to ask everyone to provide a new format, in guessing it was unavoidable. You might be annoyed at having to pay update costs, but I'm annoyed at having to get new tyres for my car. However, I recognise it as necessary. If you're not fussed about 64bit processing, no worries - just stay where you are. If you WANT that upgrade, you might have to make some financial decisions.

It's not just Avid - every large tech company gets disgruntled users. Avid probably gets more because of it's stature, size and industry position - regardless of if it deserves some of it (and I'm not defending decisions made, only pointing out that there's inherent hate there already).

Your mbox situation is also uninformed opinion directed at the wrong person - it seems like you simply don't know how things work, and are blaming the wrong person (because you already don't like them).

That mbox would never have gone near Avid - that's not how their repair setup works. They don't handle their own repairs, it's subcontracted to repair centres as I pointed out. Your dealer would have shipped it to one of these repair centres, and the only involvement Avid would have had is to ok the repair cost if under warranty.

I KNOW this because I did a similar thing for my 002 when the power harness failed. I dropped it off at Technical Earth in North London, and picked it up a week later (warranty repair). The only thing Avid did was give me a returns code - they never saw the box, and I dealt with Tech Earth directly.

If there was a massive delay, the fault is with your dealer or the repair company. If it's a regular problem, obviously the onus is on Avid to find better repair companies to contract, but isolated issues lie with the individual suppliers.

Does that make sense? Yes you got shoddy service, but it wasn't an Avid tech sitting your box on the shelf for months, then slapping a sticker on it and sending it back. I'd wager your shop may never have sent it anywhere....but who knows. I'm just pointing out how things work.

So I DO respect the opinions you hold where you're understanding what happens, but someone holding opinions based on incorrect information should be informed don't you think? Do you blame the farmer raising the cow, or the restaurant serving you the meal for the meat that has gone off?
Regardless of how much "information" you give me, I am not going back and forth with this. I am not the sole anti-spokesperson for Avid, nor do I have the interest to be that. I have formed an informed opinion of this company over ten years as far as I am concerned. I am done with this meaningless winless battle. Someone else feel free to step in.

This Mbox was sent directly to Avid/Digidesign for repair, so maybe you are not as informed as you would like to believe. I am in the USA, so maybe in the UK it's different.. Either way, this was a small example I mentioned after someone requested it. My current hardware/software is functioning at about 90% capacity and I am ok with that at this point, since I have decided to live with a couple of minor PITA bugs/glitches. The Mbox scenario is way old news and was only mentioned because someone was gushing about how great Avid service was...I really don't have interest in hammering it to death with semantics.

But I would be willing to hear you inform me of why it was wonderful and customer-pleasing for them to intentionally brick pro control/ control 24 in Pt 11 around the same time where they released their new consoles?? Please inform me of why it took them 6 months to fix a debilitating gui freeze bug in pT 10. I am all ears. I apologize for being so "uninformed" as you put it. I guess the lesson learned here is that anyone who has a gripe with Avid is an ignorant moaner? I am really trying to remain respectful to you personally, but I feel as though you are beginning to get a bit personal. Maybe I am just reading it wrong? But I do not enjoy being alluded to as being ignorant. Forgive me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Lou
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

There could in fact be a problem at Avid, but and this is a major but, ask yourself this simple question . HOW MANY OF YOUR FAVORITE LITTLE HIGHEND BOUTIQUE COMPANIES ARE HOVERING JUST AS FAR FROM GOING BYE-BYE?
Anybody who has been in the biz for any time knows how much of this biz could go bye bye at any time.
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
is it Avid responsibility to adjust PT's to work with every new piece of gear and plugin that comes out.I'm sure they would like to do that but that is a lot of work.I think it should be the other way around.If you sell a plugin you should make sure it works with PT's or in this case Mavericks.Don't you think so.

That's not really true. Avid is only responsible for making it work with those things Avid says it works with. Not "every new piece of gear and plugin."

They have a pretty comprehensive list of compatible gear and software at their site.

I'm not a mac user, but PT 10 and 11 is working perfectly fine over here...
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I only voiced what the majority of Educated consumers feel about this company in such a way that they could not afford to have readers view the truth in my well written posts.
Upon what do you base your assertion that the majority of educated consumers agree with you? My assertion is that the majority of educated consumers are using their systems without issues and don't feel the need to chime in on (or even read) threads like this at all. These threads always reflect a disproportionate number of users who have had issues, because they are the ones who like to be heard. But that's just an educated guess on my part.

Quote:
But I would be willing to hear you inform me of why it was wonderful and customer-pleasing for them to intentionally brick pro control/ control 24 in Pt 11 around the same time where they released their new consoles?
I'm not sure that anyone claimed that dropping support for those old control surfaces is "wonderful" or "customer-pleasing"…unless you're the owner of a current control surface, in which case it may be pleasing to you to know that Avid is not using their resources to support products that have been out of production for years. It may even be…wonderful.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
Upon what do you base your assertion that the majority of educated consumers agree with you? My assertion is that the majority of educated consumers are using their systems without issues and don't feel the need to chime in on (or even read) threads like this at all. These threads always reflect a disproportionate number of users who have had issues, because they are the ones who like to be heard. But that's just an educated guess on my part.

I'm not sure that anyone claimed that dropping support for those old control surfaces is "wonderful" or "customer-pleasing"…unless you're the owner of a current control surface, in which case it may be pleasing to you to know that Avid is not using their resources to support products that have been out of production for years. It may even be…wonderful.
Boy you really showed me! How about the ones who DID own those control surfaces that were intentionally bricked to force sales of their christmas tree-esque S6 led tinkerbell console...? Wow, writing a measly driver would really take a ton of resources huh? Especially considering that these screwed customers paid at minimum around 10 grand for them.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
How about the ones who DID own those control surfaces that were intentionally bricked to force sales of their christmas tree-esque S6 led tinkerbell console…?
You mean the ones that have been out of production for almost ten years? They're two generations back now. They might be disappointed, but they shouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
Wow, writing a measly driver would really take a ton of resources huh?
Well, if it's that easy, why doesn't someone do it?

And it's not just a question of writing the software to make them work…it's the support they'd have to provide to customers to keep them working.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
You mean the ones that have been out of production for almost ten years? They're two generations back now. They might be disappointed, but they shouldn't be surprised.

Well, if it's that easy, why doesn't someone do it?

And it's not just a question of writing the software to make them work…it's the support they'd have to provide to customers to keep them working.
Sigh.....You gotta love the know it all types...I forfeit~

Keep minimizing it..that should do the trick!

See below for the longest thread in Avid Forum history!! All from idiotic people with people 10 years outta the game, right?? 100,000 views on the thread!!! NOTHING TO SEE HERE

PS. If you think i own one of those, well I don't. I just like to point out the disgrace of this move on their part.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...36#post2147036

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...11/110306-3779

I am looking forward to hearing some more astute analyses...
Old 10th April 2014
Quote:
Boy you really showed me! How about the ones who DID own those control surfaces that were intentionally bricked to force sales of their christmas tree-esque S6 led tinkerbell console...? Wow, writing a measly driver would really take a ton of resources huh? Especially considering that these screwed customers paid at minimum around 10 grand for them.
Nothing has been "bricked". Bricking is when something becomes useless. The Control 24 works just as it always has. You just can't update your system past a certain point.

As Duardo says, the driver is only one part of the issue. There's then the continued testing at every update, the tech support issues, so on.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if they'd made the decision to keep it compatible as well. But it's understandable. Line has to be drawn somewhere.

Public opinion to the contrary doesn't mean a decision is wrong or unwarranted. Ideascale for example is full of ill informed, demanding idiots asking for the moon on a stick, features that already exist (they just don't know the software well enough to find them, and are seemingly incapable of reading a manual) or plain ranty. It's unsurprising that the few sensible requests are overlooked in a sea of noise.
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Public opinion to the contrary doesn't mean a decision is wrong or unwarranted. Ideascale for example is full of ill informed, demanding idiots asking for the moon on a stick, features that already exist (they just don't know the software well enough to find them, and are seemingly incapable of reading a manual) or plain ranty. It's unsurprising that the few sensible requests are overlooked in a sea of noise.
Wow there's that great vibe again.. lol

And as for the other thread? The one with 100,000+ views? What is your take on that? As far as customer relations...Indulge me..I'm curious

?What ever happened to peace love and understanding?
Old 10th April 2014
Quote:
Wow there's that great vibe again.. lol

And as for the other thread? The one with 100,000+ views? What is your take on that? As far as customer relations...Indulge me..I'm curious

?What ever happened to peace love and understanding?
Look, I'm not saying that there's not problems, bad decisions, or no reasons not to be annoyed/angry with avid. I'm just saying let's not confuse opinions with fact, and make sweeping judgements on things we know nothing about (which seems to be the backbone of ideascale; it's like a radio phone in full of people who are angry or confused, and often both).

For example, if you can prove it wouldn't cost much to support a 10+yo control surface, show me the figures - I'm willing to be convinced.
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Look, I'm not saying that there's not problems, bad decisions, or no reasons not to be annoyed/angry with avid. I'm just saying let's not confuse opinions with fact, and make sweeping judgements on things we know nothing about (which seems to be the backbone of ideascale; it's like a radio phone in full of people who are angry or confused, and often both).

For example, if you can prove it wouldn't cost much to support a 10+yo control surface, show me the figures - I'm willing to be convinced.
I hear you man. I don't have those figures of course because I am a consumer not a data analyst. But people DO NOT want support. Why have we assumed this? People just want to use their MAIN centerpieces of their studios and be able to upgrade to the 64 bit world using these very expensive and perfectly functioning consoles. This was a deliberate move to force S6 sales upon those loyal customers. I am willing to step outside my own needs and voice this for those who have invested in a company that hosed them. That's the way I see it. People would even pay hundreds of dollars for a measly driver! Check out the thread (i think it's down at the moment though??)

As for ideascale....I think it is useless and I am not convinced that it holds any weight with Avid.
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ever consider that there could in fact be a problem with this company which generates contempt in many many users?
With a million registered users you are going to have a lot of complainers and whiners. that just a fact or life.
They not going anywhere despite all the the perceived problems.
Old 28th April 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
With a million registered users you are going to have a lot of complainers and whiners. that just a fact or life.
They not going anywhere despite all the the perceived problems.
Judging from your avatar, Christopher Columbus had a better chance of convincing people that the earth was round... I don't expect you to respond objectively.. Nor did i start this thread.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search