The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't buy AVID products right now
Old 12th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
1. I don't expect to have to work on my car. I expect to just drive it

The days of having to fiddle about with boxes of bits are over, just as the days when you had to clean the points and plugs on your car are over!
Sure but you can't buy a Yugo and expect BMW performance or the ability to haul a family of 8 around. The days of consideration of the proper tools for a task will never be over.

High quality mult-track digital audio recording is a specialized task requiring complex and specialized tools. It really is not too much to expect a commensurate effort from those who expect to accomplish it. It's not just another iPhone app.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
Hey Joey...

please read your first post again, especially the headline. Ask your self if it's right to raise a ****storm when you are searching for help?

Regards
Maik
Hi Maik
After working a couple months on this problem: searching gearslutz, avid forums, posting my problem, apple care, trying different solutions I have given up on asking for help. I simply wanted others to know what I'm dealing with so maybe they won't make the same mistake. I don't think I'm "causing a **** storm" or "pulling the fire alarm". The fact is I'm having real problems from avid products, they don't give a **** and I have run out of options
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
I just got the following message from a guy who works here a lot and was having PT issues -

Quote:
Yeah not gona lie, its a bit of a sore spot admitting how good Reaper is, had pro tools rammed down my neck since I started recording but it is fantastic!! (Well thats not entirely true…. first "studio" I worked in had Adat tapes! haha).

Its not just big things, but little things, it seems to operate in a more intuitive way, aka, it does what i f*ing want it too! haha.
I suggest you do the same and get some recording done, instead of going into battle!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I wanted to ensure those who reported software/hardware troubles that your moans are justified. Spending money on stuff with engineered obsolence & a few predetermined breaking points takes the fun out of spending money. At least I can remember the days way back when apple built computers and not iNanny toys. Couldn't say similarly nice things about Avid.
Old 12th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey8989896 View Post
Hi Maik
After working a couple months on this problem: searching gearslutz, avid forums, posting my problem, apple care, trying different solutions I have given up on asking for help. I simply wanted others to know what I'm dealing with so maybe they won't make the same mistake. I don't think I'm "causing a **** storm" or "pulling the fire alarm". The fact is I'm having real problems from avid products, they don't give a **** and I have run out of options
Go to the Avid forum and post your issues along with a spec report on your system. There are a lot of folks there that use PT on a daily basis, many commercially, that are very helpful.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_dirt View Post
Pro tools 10? That's so last year
Around here it's going to be this year as well. The whole plug in situation in 11 is still a mess.
L.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Avid is a crappy company and in serious financial straits (see the long Avid thread in the "Moan Zone" subsection for details) and as such many members here have been advising those posting questions related to Avid to do their research and make any Avid purchase with their eyes wide open for some time now.

It certainly looks like the OP didn't do any research before purchase. If you expect to buy a DAW completely tuned and working out of the box then you need to buy it from one of the few specific DAW configurators/sellers which it looks like the OP didn't do either. If you make uninformed blind purchases then you have to take responsibility for your own actions.

Sadly, many today are just lazy and can't be bothered with using the search button. In this instance the OP would have found critical info offered up by members here. The OP just learned a hard lesson of "buyer beware" which hopefully will help him with future purchases.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Many good points here....

I do remember the time when AVID then Digidesign was a closed system. ProTools worked with Digi HW. Plug ins pretty much all did what you would think and VI's hardly existed. Digi even told you what computer to buy and what hard drives. Now this would all cost $10K+++ in 1998 but it all worked the day you plugged it in.

Today we expect everything to work with everything. Impossible.

My sympathy is that even if you buy all AVID today - the only thing that is most likely to work right is the all AVID stuff - and even these will have some issues!. Add any third party and there are a litany of issues one may never be fully prepared for...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have PT 10 and 11 on PC and Mac. I have multiple sound cards working fine. I really never have any problems so when I see, "don't buy Avid, or Avid sucks or...." I am suspicious of a few things. I also understand people do have legit problems and I sympathize.

The only thing I want from Avid is my PT to work and I am hopeful development continues. So far those two things have been happening since I got involved with PT about six or seven years ago. If they ever closed the doors I would use the product until it would no longer work in the environment of the day. Somehow how I don't see PT just vanishing. I believe its distribution is far too prolific for it to just go up in smoke.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Head

I noticed today the new MBP retinas have air vents on the sides.
I have read the kernal_task problem is related to keeping the computer cool
I have also read some guy drilled holes into the bottom of his computer which lowered his internal temp by 10 degrees and the problem disappeared. Don't know if these are related but I wonder.... I miss Steve
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

OMG Not another Avid's gonna die thread!
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Are you using an interface? My problems seem to revolve around this issue.
Try a Powered usb 2.0 to 3.0 hub I had hella issues with my mbp usb 3.0 ports and interfaces
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yet another "I can't get Pro Tools to work, so it must be Avid's fault" thread. I see these so often on GS and the DUC. It seems that doing your research into hardware compatibility, recommended system optimisations, and reading the manual, are just not the done thing these days.
Old 13th March 2014
Quote:
Man I think you 5 year member guys are being too harsh and unhelpful. I think we need to at least raise concern about the products because avid doesn't seem to want to talk unless you got $40 for ASC.

You guys seem to just take whatever the company gives you, excepting the problems as "it's just the way it is" and criticizing others when they didn't read the small print on one page of the avid support page.

I think the fact that most people "just deal with it" is one of the main reasons avid doesn't feel it needs to hurry up with updates and real fixes.
Less experienced members who look to the boards for advice on such subjects from those who have been around can be forgiven a certain amount of why-is-it-so plaints, but at a certain point you have to decide life isn't always fair, hitch up your belt and move along in the best path you can.

I don't use PT but these sorts of issues have been going on with it as long as I've been reading about it -- and, to varying degrees, they go on with all complex softwares. Those who come over to the Mac from the dark side may be used to more relaxed update/upgrade issues, but it's not like version agony doesn't exist to some extent in Win land, as well.
Old 14th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Hi I wanted to forewarn anyone thinking of getting pro tools or an avid interface. The company STILL has not come out with a stable version of pro tools 10 for mavericks, software including drivers contain multiple bugs, mine being the kernel_task using 100% of my CPUs power, slowing down my whole system.
Welcome to the industry of selling music products!

BTW, I use a similar rig you just listed and haven't ran into a single problem with PT 10 on mavericks.

PS. Before you buy something, read like your ****ing life depends on it.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

I am just wondering if the OP has figured out yet if it's better to do your homework rather than to be like chicken little and scream the sky is falling?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
I usually don't do these type of threads but... The joy I'm experiencing with my new MBPr, Mavericks and Pro Tools 10 is indescribable. I know how frustrating it can be when problems arise that don't seem to have an easy solution. Sorry to hear that your experience isn't similar. Instead of pulling the fire alarm, maybe ask for help from some of the experts/pros that are on this board? They are very generous with sharing knowledge. GS has always come thru for me in the past.

Good luck.
can you tell this dummy what exactly the MBPr, Mavericks is.Or post a link so I can check it out. I've heard a lot about Mavericks.I think its a tube ad da converter?Thanks
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
can you tell this dummy what exactly the MBPr, Mavericks is.Or post a link so I can check it out. I've heard a lot about Mavericks.I think its a tube ad da converter?Thanks
MBPr - Macbook Pro with Retina display.

Mavericks - latest version of Mac OSX
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

oh ok thanks
Old 15th March 2014
Smile

Quote:
To be brutally frank, the OP has a good point.

Nearly all the manufacturers of the more complex DAWs just do not deliver complete systems. We had the same issue with PT and with Soundscape. You expect things to work out of the box and all you get is a pile of bits and you have to spend hours or even days piecing the whole thing together.

If you are a computer nut, this is fine - almost recreational! But if you just want to record, this is anything but fine.

With PT, we even had a salesman from some systems house come past the studio and promise that everything would work just fine. It would come as a complete system. Just plug it in and go! Did it hell! Bits missing that had to be ordered. Some dufus verification code was on a floppy for a Mac that didn’t have a floppy drive.

Soundscape was the same. They did not even provide (at the time, I believe that has now changed) complete systems. We had to build a PC to house the mix card, the handbook was virtual, the software was on-line, the whole thing was obviously just for computer nuts.

Although everybody working here is as computer literate as the next guy, we don’t have the time or the desire to footle about with boxes of bits, unfathomable handbooks that are just a flow of vague thoughts, menus that don’t make sense and having to battle poorly scripted websites that don’t work with all browsers.

I don’t want to open an on-line account, create a name and remember a password, download my activation code and the software that I thought I had paid for in the first place already! Customers have to pay hundreds and sometimes even thousands and thousands of pounds or dollars for a DAW. I expect a product that is complete, sophisticated, easy to use and finished.

We certainly do not expect a system that only works with selected hardware. If the system only works with some things and not with others, build a complete system, put it in a box and sell that!

Either your software works in Windows or OSX, or it does not. Make your mind up! If it only works with some things and not with others, then it isn’t finished yet!

Imagine buying a car like that! A car is a far, far more complex bit of machinery than a DAW, but I can get into any car and know where everything is. It will drive on all roads and is able to use any standard gasoline or diesel.

Imagine having to build the thing yourself!

“Ah, well Sir, you’ve probably put the wrong sort of engine in there and I’m afraid the windshield comes extra! If you want to know which engines are suitable, you are going to have to open a service incident and pay to hear a list of engines approved by the manufacturer!”

We don’t put up with this crap from CAD-CAM systems. We don’t get lead by the nose by Adobe CS and it works on anything. Book-keeping software does not collapse and fail totally now and then. Why do we put up with this nonsense from certain DAW manufacturers?

Excellent, excellent, excellent post.

Thanks for that!

Old 15th March 2014
Thumbs up

Quote:
1. I don't expect to have to work on my car. I expect to just drive it.

2. How come nearly all other SW makers seem to be able to keep up with the likes of Maverick and W8? How come my ancient copies of Corel 11 from ten years ago work on W8? How come every Adobe CS from one to six will work on Windows 8?

3. If certain DAW makers honestly believe that they can restrict their customer base to the computer literate, then they are in for a nasty shock - well actually, Avid are experiencing that shock already!

4. If I (who has been using computers since 1981) cannot fathom out Avid's various options, models and standards for plug-ins, what chance has some elderly classical musician who can just about use his laptop?

5. Kids today expect things to just work. If they want something, they press the 'Buy' button on ther iPhone and hey-presto! It arrives and works!

The days of having to fiddle about with boxes of bits are over, just as the days when you had to clean the points and plugs on your car are over!

Again, amen!

Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Children, children, realize that the adults have been using protools for a decade and never have any issues.

Like children, they have no idea what they do not know.
Old 15th March 2014
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Children, children, realize that the adults have been using protools for a decade and never have any issues.

Like children, they have no idea what they do not know.

This is just silly.

Most people using almost ANY gear have at the very least SOME problems at one time or another -
and most of us who do this professionally often have significantly more issues.

The more gear you use, the more problems you'll have, period.

There's a VERY direct correlation.

The main difference for us pros (and former pros) is that we usually have techs and staff we can call to fix things for us!

Thanks for being condescending, though.

Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

This is just silly.

Most people using almost ANY gear have at the very least SOME problems at one time or another -
and most of us who do this professionally often have significantly more issues.

The more gear you use, the more problems you'll have, period.

There's a VERY direct correlation.

The main difference for us pros (and former pros) is that we usually have techs and staff we can call to fix things for us!

Thanks for being condescending, though.

Really, whatever makes you sleep a night!
Old 15th March 2014
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Really, whatever makes you sleep a night!

Yes, really. Silliness. .....And I sleep fine most nights.

If it makes you feel superior or more "professional" to call everyone with PT tech problems childish or unprofessional,
I just don't know what to say - other than, silly.

There are tons of PROFESSIONALS running PT who have all kinds of problems - some occasionally, and some regularly.

That said, again - many professionals have techs and staff for troubleshooting, maintenance, etc..

Along with redundant systems to continue working, regular backups, etc.

But it sure as heck does NOT mean that no professionals ever have PT/Mac/Avid/etc. problems.

Gimme a break. Tech issues are a part of the profession.

Otherwise, MANY engineers and techs - AND TECH SUPPORT ENGINEERS - wouldn't have full-time jobs!!

Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

I would spend 5K a year in maintenance running my Studer 2 inch machine.
Old 16th March 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
Sure but you can't buy a Yugo and expect BMW performance or the ability to haul a family of 8 around. The days of consideration of the proper tools for a task will never be over.

High quality mult-track digital audio recording is a specialized task requiring complex and specialized tools. It really is not too much to expect a commensurate effort from those who expect to accomplish it. It's not just another iPhone app.
when you spend 700 bucks on PT 11, I would think thats a BMW, that runs like a yugo. Paying that much for a DAW is NOT buying a yugo.
Old 16th March 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
when you spend 700 bucks on PT 11, I would think thats a BMW, that runs like a yugo. Paying that much for a DAW is NOT buying a yugo.

The OP is complaining about his core 2 duo laptop and OS being insufficient. If you think $700 is BMW land in audio recording then I suppose a Yugo would be two tin cans and a string. I don't have any significant problems with Avid/Pro Tools. In fact I am grateful to have a stable DAW to work in. Then again I didn't just jump in and blow $700+ bucks hoping it would all work out in the end.

I realize some folks have difficulty but there is an inherent responsibility of the end user of a complex software tool to pay attention to the required parameters for it to function correctly. It's not just another iPhone app....
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear
I wish Avid would drop 3rd party interface support so we could go back to the days when it actually was just professionals using protools.
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I would spend 5K a year in maintenance running my Studer 2 inch machine.

word. then there's that!

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search