The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?

I've noticed a little trend that prices for the SH-101 seems to be getting close to the $2000 mark on asking price. Not sure how many have gotten away with this - a quick ebay closed sale search shows confusing results - one says $2100, and another $2000, another $1900 - (I'm referring to USD).

Now I don't own an SH-101 - but I have played one quite a lot of times - they are a great little synth. A bit of a toy, a bit plastic-y, and that battery pack issue!

Anyway, there's a huge amount of competition now against this little sucker - and I'm making a claim that anyone who spends over $1000 on one of these is being ripped off. Unless you find one brand new in a box - mint condition. I'm sorry for those who are selling theirs right now, but really these prices just need to calm the fuk down. For a synth that was made over 30 years ago! And they sold for $500 back then!

It has a lot of brand new competition:

The new Roland AIRA System-1 will soon have an SH-101 "plug-in" for it - $599 + a few extra dollars for the plug-in (OK so its not analog - but go argue that to Roland engineers in Japan)

The Novation Base Station II - ok it has DCO's - but it has 2 - and it has a digital control surface - and it's awesome! - ok no CV gate $499

Arturia Minibrute - ok it doesn't have a sequencer - but it has CV gate! - $499
if you add the microbrute to it $299 - total $798 (RRP) then you have more VCO's and more CV options!

this stuff comes with warranties - it's new, it has USB and new software technology support

Sorry but I just think the SH-101 prices at the moment stink to high hell.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

My GOD! They were £300 last time I checked!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

of course those prices are insane. an sh-101 is a nice piece of kit, and is competent as hell at what it does, but current prices are just representing a bubble… but i am probably wrong, in that i am sure there are 2 blocks of idiots lined up to pay 5k for one of them…. and that is not meant to disrespect the device at all…. just…….sheep…..
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Where are you seeing them sell for $2000?
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

In EU reasonable price today for well maintained, serviced gray 101 would be maybe around 800-900€, without the mod grip.

You can find one for lower than that, but cosmetic condition is usually lower, plus insides have marks of corrosion in typical cases.

The fancy colored ones are so cheesy/cool that only the sky is the limit, both for price and amount of joy and inspiration they give in return.

=
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

I've got one and I've never really liked it. It's a bit tatty and I paid £150 for it back around 1990. I was looking for a proggy lead line synth for solos in my band and it was all I could afford at the time. To me it can never get away from its somewhat cheap and cheesy sound. It unavoidably sounds like a 101, which is a good thing if you like that sound and a bad thing if you don't. Think I wanted a minimoog really but even back then they were out of reach of my meagre budget.

In the early 90s I used it for making techno and trance etc. which I suppose is what it should excel at but I still never could really like it that much.

So yes, current prices seem ridiculous to me too but I guess a lot of people either want "that" sound (can't imagine why personally) or just get caught up in the vintage must have stampede.

Tell you what, I'd be pleased to swap it for an SH2 which to my ears is an infinitely ballsier synth.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

Wow!! This is getting crazy. I do own an SH-101 in mint condition with original box, original PSU and owner's manual. It's a great synth sound wise, i love it , use it on everything i do and puts a smile on my face.......but even then, i would never justify to pay this amount of cash for one.
For me as an owner, the price inflation makes it some kind of "investment" or a good source for cash, if i need it for some reason.
I agree that it's a bubble and the reason for it is the demand, but it's not the first time, look what happens when Roland releases "modern" versions of the classics (now is happening again cause of the AIRA),all classic Roland's box/keys prices go of the roof...
Locally, someone sells a TR-606 in not so great condition (battery fluids leak on the bottom etc) for €500!!
Insanity indeed...

"Sooo, i got an 101 for sale only for €1300, it's a bargain!"
LOL!!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

I'm surprised that more people haven't found the MC-202.

It's like one of the smallest commercially available analogue synths ever made, weights like few hundred grams, but sounds techno! (If you like that 101 sound)

Plus: the 2 track seq with cv out, runs with batteries and doesn't have the 'power button wiggler' bug of 101 ... Great little beast. Sounds so lush.

Only negative thing in 202 is, of course, the infamous quantizing cv input, but that's so easy to work around with couple of input jacks, resistors and 30cm of wire.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
I'm surprised that more people haven't found the MC-202.

It's like one of the smallest commercially available analogue synths ever made, weights like few hundred grams, but sounds techno! (If you like that 101 sound)

Plus: the 2 track seq with cv out, runs with batteries and doesn't have the 'power button wiggler' bug of 101 ... Great little beast. Sounds so lush.

Only negative thing in 202 is, of course, the infamous quantizing cv input, but that's so easy to work around with couple of input jacks, resistors and 30cm of wire.
the mc-202 is a bit more difficult to deal with on many levels… unfortunate, because it is capable of some nice sounds...
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

I remember when the 101 was selling for £150, I really wanted one but it was too much for my penniless pockets at the time. Nowadays, while the pockets aren't so empty, there's just no way I could justify the current price for what you actually get. It's become a collectors item rather than a tool.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's worth what people will pay for it. The price won't be going down so jump on while you can.

The only thing that could happen to lower prices is for Roland to reissue an exact 101 analogue replica that proved to sound exactly like the original. If that happened you could expect a price drop of 20%.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
... is for Roland to reissue an exact 101 analogue replica that proved to sound exactly like the original.
Somehow I doubt Roland will ever never setup another analog component assembly line again. More cost effective to recycle what you currently have.

It's a shame, but luckily the 80's sh*t is still widely available.

By the way, the topic could as well be "Roland XX-X0X prices insane or justified?"
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

The different colour forms seem to fetch different prices, which is actually a bit silly given they
are all pretty much the same. In Australia, loads of SH-101's were unloaded at Brashes in the 80's
for something like $899 with mod grip and strap plus a soft bag. I went for the CS-01 at the time
but jammed around on a friend's 101 a lot. There is a blue one going on ebay in Australia right now for
over $2000. I put off buying a 101 for a long time but caved in a few years ago while still reasonably
priced. Someone may inform me better if the circuit boards in the 101 & 202 are reliable,
as I heard some Roland products in the portable xox series have organic compounds that eventually
disintegrate?
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru
As long as an SH-101 is less than a Pro-One ... Then the price is justified.

2 of the best techno monosynths of all time.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

i think its time for crazy prices on units that were few months ago cheaper synths …

Ive seen last 3 years that big synth are going sky high ..

synthex .. 8000 euro
JP8 ……… 7500 euro
OBX …….. 5500 euro
Chroma ….6000 euro
PPG …… 5000 euro

in general all that beasts boosted 60% in value compared to prices 3 years ago

and modular stuff prices gone mental

arp 2600 ….. 9000 euro
EMU systems ….over 40000 euro
Roland 700 …. over 40000 euro

so … I believe its time for smaller league synths to go up and its happening last like 6 months

Prophet 600
JUNO 106
Juno 60
Sh 101
polysix

that synth and many more will in next year or so go double in value they were 6 months ago .. cause prices of big boys are very untouchable for most of synth freaks and they want to buy something in price range they can afford,
BUT

again it will be big dement and price on that smaller will just rise !!!

like with OLD CARS …. same is now happening with vintage Synths .. SH 101 is now over 30 years old … so its OLDTIMER and THAT HAVE PRICE!! heh

my conclusion .. prices on sh101 are justified

reasons: vintage , great sound, big demand .. that is enough to see prices go up … specially for nicer pieces that survived over 30 years
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
Someone may inform me better if the circuit boards in the 101 & 202 are reliable,
as I heard some Roland products in the portable xox series have organic compounds that eventually
disintegrate?
I've opened plenty of 101's & 202's, haven't seen any traces of 'organic compounds'.
Circuit boards are plain and simple, can't see any reliability issues there.

Most issues originate from leaking batteries; it's not enough to wipe the battery compartment clean, the actual damage happens inside the box!
Old 9th March 2014
I caught myself ,whenever I got hold of a mono synth, to try to recreate the sound of the 101

So consequentially I bought one locally for 650€ with mod grip 8 months ago, in near perfect condition

My point is that if you want THAT sound , go buy one, but be patient ,you will find one with the right price.

But for 2000$ I would never have bought it! just like I don't ever think of buying a 2000$ Tr909.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
I've opened plenty of 101's & 202's, haven't seen any traces of 'organic compounds'.
Circuit boards are plain and simple, can't see any reliability issues there.

Most issues originate from leaking batteries; it's not enough to wipe the battery compartment clean, the actual damage happens inside the box!
I agree

Ive opened few 101s

most of them can have next issues:

- Power switch problem .. while working touch it and VCO change pitch.. old dirty switch needs replacement

- Battery leaking … well thats was big problem on units left for longer time with batteries in…. solution is cleaning .. but sometimes it needs more work :(

- Potentiometers stiff and scratchy … again we know this units are now over 30 years old and they have seen Disco, FUNK, HOUSE, ACID , TECHNO, DANCE, TRANCE, ELECTRO , POP… in general all kinds of music and they were used , and used and used…. so … like cars … mechanical components warn out … BUTThey are replaceable …

- in electronic of SH 101 Ive seen .. dead transistors .. ( one case in last 10 years ) and dead CPU .. that was like 15 years go … so I would not say they are risky piece of gear .. I found them work horses and they survived more than most of other synths .. so Its definitely reliable piece of vintage equipment !!

SH101 is SIMPLE … that why it sounds so good!!!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysplex View Post
I caught myself ,whenever I got hold of a mono synth, to try to recreate the sound of the 101

So consequentially I bought one locally for 650€ with mod grip 8 months ago, in near perfect condition

My point is that if you want THAT sound , go buy one, but be patient ,you will find one with the right price.

But for 2000$ I would never have bought it! just like I don't ever think of buying a 2000$ Tr909.

Close enough to be an affordable alternative?
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post

I mentioned the BSII in my topic post as a good alternative.

I have a BSII and think its pretty good - yes you could argue that it doesn't have VCO's - so perhaps that detuny type sound might pip the SH-101 into the purist analog-at-heart fans, but you can achieve the same thing with the DCO's. I mean it still is analog - it has a 100% analog signal path - so what more do you want? lol

And lets not forget it has 2 Oscillators
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
I mentioned the BSII in my topic post as a good alternative.

I have a BSII and think its pretty good - yes you could argue that it doesn't have VCO's - so perhaps that detuny type sound might pip the SH-101 into the purist analog-at-heart fans, but you can achieve the same thing with the DCO's. I mean it still is analog - it has a 100% analog signal path - so what more do you want? lol

And lets not forget it has 2 Oscillators
I agree, the YT video was aimed at Hysplex, who said "My point is that if you want THAT sound , go buy one, but be patient ,you will find one with the right price.".

While I agree with his be patient and wait if you want one, but I wanted to point out for those on a budget looking to build a small studio the Bass Station II is a highly good and affordable alternative, I am more than happy with mine, especially at the price paid for it...
Old 9th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post

Just saw this in the other sh101 thread.

This is really close and yes you are in the sh101 ballpark soundwise

Last year when I was in the market for one , the BSII was having a bad feedback so I didn't bother checking it out.

But seeing this I might reconsider, but I don't regret buying the sh101 for 200€ more.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Well I really love the sound of a real 101.

But 2000$ is just pure INSANITY!!!!!!

A friend of mine bought his for 500$ a couple of years
back.

cheers
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysplex View Post
Just saw this in the other sh101 thread.

This is really close and yes you are in the sh101 ballpark soundwise

Last year when I was in the market for one , the BSII was having a bad feedback so I didn't bother checking it out.

But seeing this I might reconsider, but I don't regret buying the sh101 for 200€ more.
I'm glad you agree, I have a mate who plays out with the SH-101, he was like "This sounds very much like the Roland SH-101 to me, I might sell my 101 and with the proceeds buy this(Bass Station II) and the Korg MS-20 Mini", he also has an MC-202 though...
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
As long as an SH-101 is less than a Pro-One ... Then the price is justified.

2 of the best techno monosynths of all time.
I kick myself more and more often for not buying a ProOne in the 90's when it was 150 quid........now they are getting out of range....
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Op in is Australia like me and the prices of some analogs from the 80s have gone stupid like $1500 Juno 106, Juno 6os at $2000.
Last time I was in the market the 101 where $1000 max and that was for one of those multicoloured maintained one so $2000 in less than a year is just crazy. I mean I've been talking to some members about buying an xpander for $2500 so $2000 is criminal.
It's up to the market though I guess - if there are idiots willing to pay that money for such a simple synth then so be it I guess.
There's so many cool 101 clones nowadays I wouldn't worry. Oh and I've seen the 106 prices drop again to bellow $1000 so really it's a bit of a crap shoot - depends who's selling at the time.
Old 9th March 2014
Just to have a reference according to the link below the average price of sh101 that actually have been sold is 818,13$

Prices of Vintage Synth on eBay: Roland SH-101
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Glad i'm over vintage gear
Old 9th March 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
depends if your buying or selling
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Paid £550 for one in amazing condition with custom psu/case, mod grip and leather strap. Was about 2yrs ago. Sold my creamware minimax to fund it.
Didn't realise they were going for that much these days.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search