The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

I "lucked" on one recently on ebay, cost £550
That seems to be on the lower end of bids these days
As simple as it is I,m loving it.

I do have to say though side by side with the BSII
They can do very similar sounds.

Actually they make a great combo.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear
I don't believe that people actually are paying over $1000 for 101s, at least not consistently.

The Atlantis/Metropolis combo seems like the ****, but even if the Atlantis is inspired by the 101 it seems to have a different flavor to it. The other new alternative, the Bass Station 2 is cool also, but again doesn't really sound the same except on certain static settings.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_OHara View Post
Please tell me thats a typo and you meant MS-20 ?
Whoops, massive typo. I'm sure the MS-2000 price just went up by another $100 on eBay because of that statement.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

It was a flimsy piece of crap with a wheezy sound when I bought mine back in the early 80's - I used it for bass with my Rhodes and replaced it with the then new Jx3p. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

You can create an SH101 sound so easily, it's always been a mystery to me why people would pay any amount of money for one today.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Last time i checked, they were going for 650€, and i thought it was too much.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
You can create an SH101 sound so easily, it's always been a mystery to me why people would pay any amount of money for one today.
Please share your secret. Create with what, exactly?

Edit: cheapest 101 currently in ebay, 535€:
Quote:
Roland SH 101, 1 chip is missing( 80C49 ), pitch bend broken, all knobs are missing, 1 cracked & repaired key, MAY HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS ALSO
:D :D
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please share your secret. Create with what, exactly?
I don't know, since there isn't a bass patch out there that sounds decent in a mix except a SH101. (sigh)Guess I'd better get one or quit music.

Quote:
It was a flimsy piece of crap with a wheezy sound when I bought mine back in the early 80's - I used it for bass with my Rhodes and replaced it with the then new Jx3p. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

It's a great sounding synth, no doubt. Just limited.

UH-OH! Flame War!
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah right (not) re: limited.. limited like a nice Fender Strat, or Gibson LP 'Recording' .
It is a fine instrument & I far prefer its basic tones to my Jupiter 6, (which i love) even though it shares much of similar OSC & filter chips.

My SH101 was stolen . I miss it a lot.

Yes it can certainly produce an endless variety of powerful basses, but I used it much more for PWM pulse leads with self oscillating resonance . I haven't come across any other synth that can produce those tones, & Ive tried many, but haven't had the pleasure of the earlier Roland SH series (yet)

Does anyone have an opinion of a poly analogue that can produce similar tones to the SH101?

I haven't found one yet.
I love my Jupiter 6 & while it can do many of the SH101s sounds,( & obviously an infinite amount more) it simply can not do the tones that I love the SH101 for. It can't even come close.

Im shooting myself in the foot here perhaps by putting the SH101 further out of my reach pocket wise.

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 30th April 2014 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: beard
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear
My question: how are mc-202s nearly the same price as the 101?
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
Almost exactly the same synth inside apart from keyboard & the different sequencers & arp on the SH101. A few other minor differences.
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
They weren't when this thread started. See message #8.

Something is going on here, definitely. It might be that the release of Aira-stuff brought the sound of the original X0X's back to peoples minds. I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralwaves View Post
My SH101 was stolen . I miss it a lot.
I feel sorry for you. :(
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Wow - this is just intriguing

Check out this guy - who started a $200 base listing:

Then he pulls the listing (probably because he worked out how insane the prices are) - and relisted it for this:

OK, so he "accepted" a best offer - and none of us will ever know - and I know this doesn't represent actual sale prices - but it does show the insanity of this phenomenon.

The way I see it at the moment is that there are 3 camps with SH-101 people:

Camp #1: Those who currently own an SH-101 and are loving the fact that their little plastic synth is booming in the 2nd price market right now. Lucky you.

Camp #2: Those wheelers and dealers who are finding them cheap, and turning them around for a tidy profit.

Camp #3: Those who would dearly love to buy an SH-101, play it, record it, keep it, repair it - forever - but cannot fathom all the hype - it's a mono synth people! They sold for $500 new!

But my question is:

Will these prices stay like this?

When I started this thread I picked this trend, and if you read some of the early replies, caught a lot of people by surprise. What has caused this? Probably the impending sale of the System-1 and the SH-101 plugin.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?-sh101-ebay1.png   Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?-sh101-ebay-2.png  
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
But my question is:

Will these prices stay like this?
Well, people's been horrified about the prices of every single original X0X device ever since the dawn of house/techno phenomenon.

Has any of them prices ever dropped? Quite the opposite.

Funny stuff with that Australian 101, though! :D
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear
Hmmm...

I have a lot of friends who were making music strictly from softsynths for years...mostly glitched out, experimental, minimal sound design style stuff...over the past couple of years they've become inspirerd by to make more rhythmic music...L.I.E.S. Pan as well as 100% Silk releases have been pretty big influence to them...

Some do go modular but they eventually start looking into 101's...they were a lot of bang for buck at one point...bright, bouncy, acidly with a fun arppeggator and intergraded pretty painlessly with DAW's after getting a Kenton Pro Solo...fantastic for adding life to tracks that were softsynth heavy!
Old 23rd April 2014
Over $1000, let alone $1500 for an mc202 is insane.
I had one, in the early 90's right in the techno heyday and I got bored with the one sound, and the painful sequencer.
I think I sold it for about $250.
Old 23rd April 2014
Nrt
Lives for gear

I bought mine for $500 a few years ago, and I thought the price is insane... Seriously Roland should release the real analog reissue for $500, like MS20.
Old 23rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt View Post
Seriously Roland should release the real analog reissue for $500, like MS20.
It would be interesting to see precise clones, like what Cyclone did with TT-303.
Probably would be more than $500, though.
Old 24th April 2014
fvd
Gear Head

In my opinion the SH-101s are too expensive at the moment. I would pay around 500 to 600 USD if fitted with MIDI and in ok condition. Probably I will never get one for this price though. I might be wrong but I begin to get the impression the SH-101 prices raised dramatically, since knowledge of a specific group of musicians using it has spread...
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

New in 1982, SH-101's were $595 list price.
That's about $1,200 today.
Bread is no longer ten cents a loaf.
Some of you sound like you think $500 in the 80's or 90's is remotely equivalent to $500 today.
Old 24th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
Some of you sound like you think $500 in the 80's or 90's is remotely equivalent to $500 today.
Well it is when the item has had 30 years of wear and tear in it.
Also, compare prices to an equivalent one oscillator, one envelope synth bought new today. Probably not $1500 right??
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Also, compare prices to an equivalent one oscillator, one envelope synth bought new today.
I don't think you should, actually.

The thing is, the value of a synth starts to drop the minute you carry it from the shop. Then it's considered simply as 'used gear', and you can get a new one with the original price. That's what happened with all X0X's at first as well.

Now, original X0X boxes are not manufactured anymore. They are getting more rare everyday. Their sound is vastly recognized and imitated, enjoying the cult status. When buying a X0X box, you're usually not purchasing another multipurpose tool, but you are actually investing to get the real thing.

Insanity? Actually not really. These collectible things tend to keep their value. Unlike the stuff you can carry from store.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, of course.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
I don't think you should, actually.

The thing is, the value of a synth starts to drop the minute you carry it from the shop. Then it's considered simply as 'used gear', and you can get a new one with the original price. That's what happened with all X0X's at first as well.

Now, original X0X boxes are not manufactured anymore. They are getting more rare everyday. Their sound is vastly recognized and imitated, enjoying the cult status. When buying a X0X box, you're usually not purchasing another multipurpose tool, but you are actually investing to get the real thing.

Insanity? Actually not really. These collectible things tend to keep their value. Unlike the stuff you can carry from store.

It's not everybody's cup of tea, of course.
"Collectible things" do not always "keep their value" - just ask any avid car collector.

The trick is to ride the curve and no when to get in, and out.

There's nothing inherently valuable about an Sh 101, it's a 30 plus year-old basic and simple synth which, if you're luck, won't fry itself to pieces while you're riding the "collector curve".

My DSI Desktop Evolver is a better, more versatile and evocative machine than any SH 101 ever made - and it costs exactly 500 bucks in today's money, and worth every penny.
Old 24th April 2014
Gear Guru
Evolver - my least favorite synth of all time

I'll stick with the SH101
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear
Lol, exactly. Comparing synths point for point feature wise is missing the, um, point.
For me, anyway, the simplicity of the 101 is far more evocative than the Evolver.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Collectible things" do not always "keep their value" - just ask any avid car collector.

The trick is to ride the curve and no when to get in, and out.
While this might be true with cars, I've yet to see an example of a synthesizer suddenly becoming valuable, then begin to plummet drastically. The only example I can think of is the Korg MS-20 which at one point was pushing close to $2000, then fell to about $1500 with the release of the Mini version. Even then, the value of it today is still significantly higher than what it was going for around a decade ago.

Quote:
There's nothing inherently valuable about an Sh 101, it's a 30 plus year-old basic and simple synth which, if you're luck, won't fry itself to pieces while you're riding the "collector curve".
Actually, it contains electronics which are no longer manufactured today. If nothing was unique about it, there would be hardware clones that nail both the sound and functionality by 100%, but there isn't. Also, there's really no reason why it would fry itself to pieces unless it was mishandled. The same could be said about any analog synthesizer, old or new.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear
Just look at the Rhythm Wolf, that fried itself out of production!

But, I totally agree with the above, for someone specifically looking for a 101 there really aren't any clones, and modern gear can have technical issues too.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear
It seems like a lot of people would pay no more than $500-600 for one. I get that...does anyone really think SH-101's are going back to that price again?

To me they were forever $200-300! That's never gonna happen again. If you want an 101 get it...if you want something in the under $500 range there hasn't been so many cool options in YEARS!
Old 24th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post

The way I see it at the moment is that there are 3 camps with SH-101 people:

Camp #1: Those who currently own an SH-101 and are loving the fact that their little plastic synth is booming in the 2nd price market right now. Lucky you.

Camp #2: Those wheelers and dealers who are finding them cheap, and turning them around for a tidy profit.

Camp #3: Those who would dearly love to buy an SH-101, play it, record it, keep it, repair it - forever - but cannot fathom all the hype - it's a mono synth people! They sold for $500 new!
Camp #4: Those who buy it for the "new" price and love it but get a pained look on their face when they look at their bank account.

Nothing will cause the price to drop but for Technology Transplant to build a clone or a new x0xb0x-like effort to pop up.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Nothing will cause the price to drop but for Technology Transplant to build a clone or a new x0xb0x-like effort to pop up.
There's more TB-303 clones out there now than ever before, yet the real deal still goes for $2000+ on eBay. Not that I see the SH-101 ever being that high in value anytime soon, but I don't see how it will be any different considering there's actually less clones out there.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
While this might be true with cars, I've yet to see an example of a synthesizer suddenly becoming valuable, then begin to plummet drastically. The only example I can think of is the Korg MS-20 which at one point was pushing close to $2000, then fell to about $1500 with the release of the Mini version. Even then, the value of it today is still significantly higher than what it was going for around a decade ago.

Actually, it contains electronics which are no longer manufactured today. If nothing was unique about it, there would be hardware clones that nail both the sound and functionality by 100%, but there isn't. Also, there's really no reason why it would fry itself to pieces unless it was mishandled. The same could be said about any analog synthesizer, old or new.
There are a ton of old pieces of gear containing electronics not manufactured today - it doesn't mean there's anything "unique" about it, it just means you won't be able to get parts.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search