The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 21st March 2014
Here for the gear

It's not just the sound, it's also the design.
Synth design is very important and is one of the main reasons the minimoog is such a classic (and the main reason it's better than the voyager).
The SH-101 has one of the best synth designs ever! Such an elegant simple design that continues to look modern. Compare it to the system 1, which already looks dated and is a cluttered confusing mess by comparison.
The 101 looks much simpler than it actually is, but at the same time it doesn't hide away any of the extra features.
I know this stuff sounds superficial, but it actually makes a big difference when a piece of gear makes it easy for you.

Having said that the arturia stuff is also well-designed (even if it isn't quite as simple as the 101), and I was very impressed with the sound/build/usability when I tried one out in a store.

If I didn't already have a 101 I'd find it hard to justify the price when there are so many cheaper options out there, I think I would be able to do a lot more with 4 x microbrutes all hooked up in sync!!! But I do already have one, I've considered selling it in the past. At other times I've considered purchasing a back-up in case mine should fail. I've had it for a about ten years now and it's become my favourite synth not just because of it's sound, but because of how useful it is all round. I consider it my main instrument.

I got mine back in 2003 for $700AUD, the Aussie dollar used to be a lot lower back then, so the price of the 101 in Australia over the last ten years hasn't really changed all that much.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagickite View Post
It's not just the sound, it's also the design.
Synth design is very important and is one of the main reasons the minimoog is such a classic (and the main reason it's better than the voyager).
The SH-101 has one of the best synth designs ever! Such an elegant simple design that continues to look modern. Compare it to the system 1, which already looks dated and is a cluttered confusing mess by comparison.
The 101 looks much simpler than it actually is, but at the same time it doesn't hide away any of the extra features.
I know this stuff sounds superficial, but it actually makes a big difference when a piece of gear makes it easy for you.

Having said that the arturia stuff is also well-designed (even if it isn't quite as simple as the 101), and I was very impressed with the sound/build/usability when I tried one out in a store.

If I didn't already have a 101 I'd find it hard to justify the price when there are so many cheaper options out there, I think I would be able to do a lot more with 4 x microbrutes all hooked up in sync!!! But I do already have one, I've considered selling it in the past. At other times I've considered purchasing a back-up in case mine should fail. I've had it for a about ten years now and it's become my favourite synth not just because of it's sound, but because of how useful it is all round. I consider it my main instrument.

I got mine back in 2003 for $700AUD, the Aussie dollar used to be a lot lower back then, so the price of the 101 in Australia over the last ten years hasn't really changed all that much.
You make some really good points.

The design of the SH-101 is pretty nice - but not as nice as a Sub 37 - god that thing is nice!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

If you want to avoid the cost...just pick up an SH-09 and Midi/CV converter or sequencer!
Old 21st March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
Biggest problem with the SH-2 is it is missing that Sequencer/Arp. People love the SH-101 sequencer.... I love the fact that the SH-2 has two Oscillators - it really has a phatter sound than the 101 - but I agree, people just love that x0x factor - probably because of the sequencer, the design/look (SH-2 is uglier), portability etc.
Vancouver Craigslist: SH-2 + MSQ100 $1200 (edit - month later gone now)
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

I really, really hope no one is stupid enough to give Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?this guy what he's asking!!!
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really, really hope no one is stupid enough to give this guy what he's asking!!!
Oh, I guarantee you there will be someone. What something is worth is what someone perceives its worth to be. And to be honest. This group has done more to escalate the prices. You guys say it is better than any mono board out there. That nothing comes close to it's sonic capabilities, ease of use, fits in the mix better than any other board, the reason Dance music exists in it's current form today is because of the SH101, etc.

So with all that hype, you bet someone will buy it at that price. A year from now they will have forgotten about the price they paid and be very happy they have this board.
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
You guys say it is better than any mono board out there.
I never said that! In fact I said I hated mine! Now it's worth double.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never said that! In fact I said I hated mine! Now it's worth double.
Yes! and if you sell it you will get double.

SH101 is "The In Board" to have right now
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntropic View Post
I really, really hope no one is stupid enough to give Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?this guy what he's asking!!!
the funny thing is that he doesnt even supply a power adaptor LOL
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

I just saw a blue SH-101 in a local synth shop for $1500. No mod grip, some front panel text was a bit faded, plus the transpose and portamento switches didn't look like the originals. So it's not just the eBay prices rising.
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
I just saw a blue SH-101 in a local synth shop for $1500. No mod grip, some front panel text was a bit faded, plus the transpose and portamento switches didn't look like the originals. So it's not just the eBay prices rising.
It's not like the old days (80s/90s) where you could find a local steal. If the most mom and pop pawn shop in the middle of nowhere knows enough to grab a phone and do an eBay search on any inventory they get in.
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

Bollocks usually pawn shops put items up on ebay as auctions you can imagine that will never ever end up on 15 hundred
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, pawn stores ask for some of the most inflated prices, plus the few extreme price auctions you see usually involve either shill bidders or a famous previous owner, like when NIN auctions off gear after a tour.

Anyway, while we're talking about an SH-101 (the correct nomenclature, and doesn't generate this annoying automatic link that GS has started doing...):

Old 21st April 2014
Here for the gear

****, are they that high? I just saw one at my local guitar center sell for like 800 in seemingly decent condition. Should have bought it and immediately resold. Instant cash.
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

It's worth noting that the place I saw the $1500 blue SH-101 wasn't a pawn shop. It was a specialty synth shop that only sells newer analog synths, vintage (70's/80's) analog & digital synths that have been restored, plus some modular stuff and other gadgets from smaller manufactures. I've noticed their prices are typically based on eBay's auction rates. I remember seeing an original MS-2000 for $2000 a few months back, plus a $2000 MonoPoly.
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

to me insane considering the existence of the sh 2
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANZ KAFKA View Post
to me insane considering the existence of the sh 2
You need both a Sh-2 AND a SH-101 to control it with. You get one octave lower on the sh-2 that way. Great if you want to use the SH-2´s normal oscillators as deep bass.
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

I think the SH-101 is so cool. Sometimes money is not a factor if you really want the synth. But 1,900 and up is just robbery....
Old 22nd April 2014
Gear Nut

I think current prices are way too high. Its a good mono, very easy to use but IMO for me (unlike other posters) its not a good all rounder given its particular vintage plastic-y sound and its 1osc architecture (regardless of the sub).

For me its also not good at really deep fat bass. Historically people have layered the SH-101 for deep strong bass, I find the same thing.

It is incredibly good for the acid house bass sound and anything of that vein (it pretty much is the acid house bass sound). When you clock the sequencer and go crazy - thats its strength IMO. For me that is useful because I love that sound, but if I didn't I would sell it straight away as I prefer other synths for mono synth duties
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear
I just got one. The most useable sound for me is running the osc in 2' range, with sub osc 1 octave below. Use that for some nice arps/sequences.

I greatly prefer my sh09 for bass stuff though.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Great synth to grab / have around when it's $500-$600 odd, but SH-101's for $1k and up sounds like crazy money to me, but they seem to be in vogue now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
I remember seeing an original MS-2000 for $2000 a few months back, plus a $2000 MonoPoly.
Please tell me thats a typo and you meant MS-20 ?
Old 22nd April 2014
I got mine for $600 CAD about two years ago from a guy that came to the record shop I used to work at. It's the blue one with mod grip and original PSU. The guy even gave me a 727 (useful to control it) a 505 (crappy but I still like it) and a EX-8000 which I didn't rate at the time but ended up totally falling in love with, all this free with the SH.

I love my 101 to pieces really, I seldom end up using it for what I thought I would, basslines, but more for Arped melodies and pattern. Or even noises. I love the self oscillating filter, especially when you turn the keyboard control to the max, you can do very nice 2 notes arpegiated melodies. I basically use it on all tracks one way or the other.

Anyway, it's not worth 1500 or more obviously. I think If you wait and keep your eyes peeled you can find decent prices, just like I did; I had been looking for one for at least three years before I found this one.

Last edited by zorbeix; 22nd April 2014 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: added some missing infos
Old 22nd April 2014
mixmixmix
the more you talk about sh 101 on this thread the quicker prices will go up.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Buying an sh at current prices is quite laughable.

It's not a very flexible synth and there are newer synths that can do that sound and so much more.

At current prices you would be better off with an intellijel metropolis and Atlantis for example. Or a cwejman vm-1 or bld and utility modules.

More laughable is the price of the red or blue models versus the grey model.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbeix View Post
I got mine for $600 CAD about two years ago from a guy that came to the record shop I used to work at. It's the blue one with mod grip and original PSU. The guy even gave me a 727 (useful to control it) a 505 (crappy but I still like it) and a EX-8000 which I didn't rate at the time but ended up totally falling in love with, all this free with the SH.
Oh man, stories like this makes me bitter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper
At current prices you would be better off with an intellijel metropolis and Atlantis for example. Or a cwejman vm-1 or bld and utility modules.
Metropolis + Atlantis = $1280 + rack accessories, and it doesn't sound like SH-101!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper
It's not a very flexible synth and there are newer synths that can do that sound and so much more.
It actually is rather flexible. With simple mods it can be taken even further!
Let the makers of Atlantis phrase my opinion:
Quote:
The Atlantis is heavily inspired by the architecture and sound of the classic Roland SH-101.
It has always been one of our favorite synths and we really liked how the seemingly limited architecture allowed for all sorts of creative and musically useful sounds to be easily generated.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Yeah, pawn stores ask for some of the most inflated prices, plus the few extreme price auctions you see usually involve either shill bidders or a famous previous owner, like when NIN auctions off gear after a tour
Oh geez yeah. It's funny to see that guy try to auction off a Basstation Keyboard for way over what it's worth, then go on to sell a bunch of useless trinkets on the "NIN" eBay account.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Talking about BassStation; there's original BassStation keyb versions in ebay with prices close to BassStation II!

Is that about sellers trying to deceive, or is is just the vintage value?

I've owned the rack version since it was introduced, and it's definitely nothing to write home about!
(I keep it because it has sentimental value, CV/Gate and sweet looks!)
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuper View Post
Buying an sh at current prices is quite laughable.

More laughable is the price of the red or blue models versus the grey model.
Same could be said for TR-808, 909 etc
It's the one thing it does that makes it special.

As this equipment becomes older it will become more expensive
Old 22nd April 2014
Gear Head

Guys, you need to check completed listings on ebay before posting...or are you intentionally trying to push prices?

Just because an item has a crazy listing price doesn't mean it's worth that much.
It's quite the opposite, those crazy listings never sell because it's NOT worth what the seller is asking.

I'd say average on ebay is around 800$.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaredrum View Post
I'd say average on ebay is around 800$.
Weird stuff, I just tried to check the 101 prices from US ebay, but there's not a single one for sale..!? Is internet broken or something?

In Europa the average for plain gray, moderate condition without extras is about 800€ (~$1100).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search