The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

How can something be in "Mint condition" if it is missing screws? Seriously people - Mint condition is a term so misused these days.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
How can something be in "Mint condition" if it is missing screws? Seriously people - Mint condition is a term so misused these days.
My guess is they're referring to the color.

No wait, that was 'olive' or 'army', not mint green...
Old 14th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
There are more affordable alternatives: Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?Roland CMU-810 @ebay

From Vintage Synth

I need that... Must resist...

wheeew.. a vintage i've never seen before. and a roland at that.

however seems it offers much less than 101/202. no arpeggiator or sequencer. only TRI waveform on LFO - no square wave, sample n hold or noise to be used as modulator. on the plus side, its got controls for external inputs. and CV input and slider for VCF control.

so if its price would be much less than mc202 perhaps.. but its priced as rarity so..

edit: what's nice is, theres a lot of room on this desktop panel form factor, to add modifications , controls like for Nova Mod that would work here as well. triangle wave etc
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
My guess is they're referring to the color.

No wait, that was 'olive' or 'army', not mint green...
ebay descriptions are getting worse , i would not go near an ad now unless the guy took some decent hi res shots and multiple ones.There is a right way to sell gear and a wrong way and the descriptions on alot of gear now on ebay are just a lie , i just got a poly 800 that the guy said was in amazing condition and it arrived with one broken key , sequencer didnt work , scratches and just not as described and the photos he took were i think done so he didnt have to show the issues , in truth an idiot and his money are easily parted and in this case i was the idiot but i mended it and its cool but i think its just not wise to buy gear without seeing it now and trying it , we need to move on from ebay , its hyper inflating stuff , creating more and more greed in the world , making everyone turn into liars or alot and feeding into this downward spiral in a moral sense .Fk ebay and start to connect with real Humans.

In the uk use

Sound on sound

or

Vintage synth explorer and dont pay over the top for a mono unless you want to throw cash away.

Get off your arse and travel , take a day out , meet people , try the gear and just drop this ebay bollocks as i think its the root cause.

and sorry for the rant , i am bias as a number of times i got shafted on ebay and sending back , fight for refunds and so on are just not fun and sometimes you can lose the lot.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

first ones worth £400 at the very most , the second one £500-550 as its in really good shape but i think what were seeing is people advertising stuff not to sell ! they are trying their luck , hoping they can inflate or find someone with to much cash who does not care.There is a price to sell and a price to ' see what happens ' and in the case of the above its the later.

Its all greed isnt it ? which some label as ' maximising your investment ( the greedy humans in self denial about their own greed ) but its greed at the end of the day , we all suffer it , all need to face up to being greedy bastards from time to time and maybe then loosen off.

Sell for a fair price ,make some freinds , give and take....dont be a Gollum like parasite and a slave to money and fk ebay.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Definitely insane.

It was the cheapest lowest-end mono Roland ever made, with some keytar vibe added. Absolutely nothing special about it, just another nice sounding monosynth.

A penny over $500 for one is just stupid, get a MiniBrute or BSII and spend the dough you saved on enough Molly to last you into the next decade.

PS I owned one back in the early 90s
Old 14th March 2014
Actually, funny thing, I remember seeing them for $600 back in 2010, and MC-202s for $300. I remember when a Juno 60 was $700. They've, at the very least, doubled in asking price if not more since then.

Last year I was thinking of getting a 101 but there were more TB-303s on eBay than 101s, which is something I've never seen before, and the ones that were there were ridiculously priced. I remember seeing blue SH-101s for $800.

The value of all currencies (not just the dollar) have plummeted beyond what people would have thought in the past few years, and I think we should remember this. You'd think that with all the new analog gear coming out the demand would go down, but It's probably people wanting 'authenticity' over features, price, value, reliability, etc. Kind of sad, really.

Also, for what people are asking for these, you could fill a sizable 6u eurorack case and make music that doesn't have to sound like everyone else making electronic music since the 80s.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
wheeew.. a vintage i've never seen before. and a roland at that.

however seems it offers much less than 101/202. no arpeggiator or sequencer. only TRI waveform on LFO - no square wave, sample n hold or noise to be used as modulator. on the plus side, its got controls for external inputs. and CV input and slider for VCF control.

so if its price would be much less than mc202 perhaps.. but its priced as rarity so..

edit: what's nice is, theres a lot of room on this desktop panel form factor, to add modifications , controls like for Nova Mod that would work here as well. triangle wave etc
The disease has you toying with this new object of interest, and whether you should hunt it down. Bring it to the flock. Although you definitely do not need it. Modify it, to please the disease, driving ever new combinations of possibilities of sonic puzzling. Will it howl? Will it hum softly along with the rest of the flock? Will it fill a gap unfilled in the sonic patchwork? Oh the wonder....

The disease is strong. Long live the disease.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear
I bought an SH-101 too in the late 90ies. The most foreseeing technoheads had already gone way past the x0x sound by then. However I played with SH-101 and TR-707 for a few months, similar to what people do with Korg Volcas nowadays. However after the honeymoon I outgrew from SH-101 quite fast because of the very limited possibilities the unit had to offer. Today I would pick something like Pulse or Evolver any day instead of SH-101. The aforementioned units go for about $350 used and comparing SH-101 to them and even considering SH-101 as a classic a real price should be around $350-$500 depending on shape, colour and options.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The funny part is how the guy has pictures of it laying about on the brick ledge of a rooftop building parking lot! No blanket or anything to protect it from getting scratched up in that photo session alone! Might as well lay it down on some sand paper and balance it on the edge of the Hoover Dam. That'd be an eBay auction worth seeing.
Old 14th March 2014
Yeah, now's the time to buy up that old rompler **** and some DX-/TX-series stuff before the rich Williamsburg crowds decide to use them as 'status symbols'. Which is actually why these have gone up in price so much. Nobody who makes music and looks at what's currently offered will honestly say that it's worth 2 grand to have an 'authentic vintage' Roland when, in the case anything goes bad on this 30 year old synth, will have to spend that cash again to fix it. It's depressing me.

Good news is that non-Roland branded year hasn't gone up much in the past 4 years, a CS-10 is still hovering around the $500 mark, and people still haven't realized that the DW-8000 is amazing for any price, much less the $300 people are asking for them.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
Nobody who makes music and looks at what's currently offered will honestly say that it's worth 2 grand to have an 'authentic vintage' Roland when, in the case anything goes bad on this 30 year old synth, will have to spend that cash again to fix it. It's depressing me.
Yeah $2000 is madness (and tbh I've never seen such prices even in ebay), but
these things are surprisingly solid pieces, they don't go bad that easily, and it's
usually something that can be fixed with few bucks. (Something you can't say
with most modern gear!)

IMHO the bottom line is that there are:

A. People with a certain budget, looking for bang for the buck feature wise.
B. People with love/appreciation for this legendary/vintage sound/gear.

For group A the 101 is definitely not the right choice! Especially if looking for the first analog synth.

Group B on the other hand knows what they are looking for, and probably are aware of reasonable price range as well.

edit:
Quote:
Yeah, now's the time to buy up that old rompler **** and some DX-/TX-series stuff before the rich Williamsburg crowds decide to use them as 'status symbols'.
Don't know about status symbols, but I just saw TX81z for around 350€ (~$486)! O_o

And as a bonus: Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?Bag for MC-202 for $290!!!

...time for some heavy roller bidding!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hate the word mint too when referring to music gear, so relative. I prefer
Like New!!!!. I little less room for opinion. Something is either next to new looking and operating or it is not. Something 20 or 30 years old needs to have been barely used and properly stored or completely restored to be almost new.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

Its was cheap, i know that many using this only for basses or acid lines but its very interested synth for effects.
I have a bunch of patches from the manual with names like wind, snare and more.
It was great to understand the subtractive synthesis and learn to make you own sounds.
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

All my favorite producers used this synth and it makes the fattest bass sounds i have ever heard, just check the "man with no name" stuff. Its not often someone sells it here in Sweden, i have been looking for a while because i really want one..
Old 18th March 2014
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
"This is your only chance to get probably the best SH101 anywhere."

Wait, is that rust in the battery compartment, under the spring?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

this is the point of my thread - all we can do is shake our heads and laugh
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
is this guy dreaming?

Roland SH101 Analogue Synth in Kallangur, QLD | eBay
What a deal compared to this:

Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?Moog Memorymoog Plus with Lintronics Advanced Memorymoog Modification Lamm | eBay
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
is this guy dreaming?
Apparently not based on how much that custom white one went for

Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?WHITE ROLAND SH-101 | eBay
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

^^^WHAT?! No way!

...now where's my paint?
Old 18th March 2014
F5D
Lives for gear

Korg should reissue the white SH-101. But yeah, SH101 prices have gone mad. The situation in Finland is that nobody seems to have any money left, so if you want to sell something, it needs to be either very rare or very cheap. In most cases it is best to keep the stuff. No change of selling anything with prices like this, or even for a reasonable price, I have tried.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

seems like "mint" is the new "quite ****ed up" for ebay ...

from a sh-101 auction:

Quote:
Just been serviced by Andy at EMIS to the cost of £90. All works perfectly and sounds amazing. It's an iconic synth and a great investment. Batteries supplied, no leakage, compartment still works a treat. Will entertain offers from local buyers, you can view before collection if you like. Feel free to ask me any questions, otherwise enjoy!

Edit: Have just noticed the PWM slider doesn't seem to respond until it's at the top of its range, will probably need a quick clean though I'll leave that to the buyer as I never use PWM anyway.
wtf??
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

I said it in another thread already: DO NOT buy ANY synth on e-bay, just don't. Buy cds, baseball cards, video games, a belt, an action figure, a book (maybe), but NO SYNTHS; e-bay is not the place for that kind of shopping; instruments (not only synths) should be bought locally (for obvious reasons).
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
I said it in another thread already: DO NOT buy ANY synth on e-bay, just don't.
since i bought many synths on ebay, i can't fully agree with you ...

but you a right, you need to be careful.
fortunately i got lucky 95% of the time - because i try to smart shop on ebay.
and people who bought stuff from me on ebay got lucky 100% of the time.

packaging ebay items right seems to be the biggest problem.
Old 18th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
Korg should reissue the white SH-101.
I'm sure Roland would be fine with that

Quote:
Actually, funny thing, I remember seeing them for $600 back in 2010, and MC-202s for $300. I remember when a Juno 60 was $700. They've, at the very least, doubled in asking price if not more since then.
Probably because they're getting older and older and starting to break, so there's fewer and fewer of them out there. At one hand this makes them more valuable, but at the other hand you might end up spending a ton of money on one just for it to break afterwards, and unless you can fix them yourself, servicing these vintage synths is becoming quite expensive!

On top of that, you will be thinking twice before taking them out of the studio, which is a bummer since once you get used to a synth like this you kind of want to perform with it.

At some point they'll have to become museum pieces, right?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Since we can all pretty much agree that the prices are indeed getting a bit ridiculous for the SH-101, what are people's opinions on the SH-2? Since the prices are about the same between the two now, would you think that cashing out the SH-101 and replacing it with the SH-2 is a good idea? It is something I've been considering for a few weeks now, mainly because of the two detunable oscs (both with PWM, yum!), but I'd hate to be kicking my self in the butt five years from now if the SH-101 gets even more ridiculous in price while the SH-2 lags behind. Yay or nay?
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
Since we can all pretty much agree that the prices are indeed getting a bit ridiculous for the SH-101, what are people's opinions on the SH-2? Since the prices are about the same between the two now, would you think that cashing out the SH-101 and replacing it with the SH-2 is a good idea? It is something I've been considering for a few weeks now, mainly because of the two detunable oscs (both with PWM, yum!), but I'd hate to be kicking my self in the butt five years from now if the SH-101 gets even more ridiculous in price while the SH-2 lags behind. Yay or nay?
My uneducated guess is that that 101 will rise much more than the SH-2, just because it is part of the x0x range. They all just keep inflating. It also looks a little more iconic.
I'd still probably choose the SH-2 though.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
Biggest problem with the SH-2 is it is missing that Sequencer/Arp. People love the SH-101 sequencer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
My uneducated guess is that that 101 will rise much more than the SH-2, just because it is part of the x0x range. They all just keep inflating. It also looks a little more iconic.
I'd still probably choose the SH-2 though.
I love the fact that the SH-2 has two Oscillators - it really has a phatter sound than the 101 - but I agree, people just love that x0x factor - probably because of the sequencer, the design/look (SH-2 is uglier), portability etc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search