The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Minibrute and Bass Station close enough.
Hard to justify those prices! Surprised they haven't gone down due to all this new (old) analog.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone in australia there someone selling a sh-101 for $800 on gumtree ATM
Old 11th March 2014
Deleted be0c6fb
Insane!! It's BOC's fault.
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0c6fb View Post
Insane!! It's BOC's fault.
Little known fact: That wasn't a cowbell on "Don't Fear The Reaper," it was a very early SH-101 prototype.

I think the prices are right where they should be. I just hope they hold out long enough for me to get my 101's minor repairs finished and ready to sell.
Old 11th March 2014
as someone mentioned before, i dunno what OP is all about. you can get a SH101 for $900 - 1000 or 800 euro any time you want.

just dont jump on the first ebay auction you see from the reputable dealers or those japan guys. prices are going up, but these guys are tryin to artificially push them up. sellng for crazy prices to nobody, until other sellers become greedy and say "wait a minute,,, i can get $2k for my sh101 too". at least that is what they are counting on. i can put my sh101 on ebay tommorow for $15000. that doesn't mean it has suddenly become going price.

so when looking for one give it a few weeks, a month or so. haste and impatience usually mean overpaying for vintage gear. and you are playing into these greedy dealer's hands. and consider other places beside ebay, it's crucial.

and, this thread with bombastic yet terribly misinformed title, wont help things either. i even thought of darkest scenario - maybe OP has a stash SH-101s at home, and is tryin to inflate the price quickly i kid, i kid,, but one should be careful posting things like these.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
as someone mentioned before, i dunno what OP is all about. you can get a SH101 for $900 - 1000 or 800 euro any time you want.

just dont jump on the first ebay auction you see from the reputable dealers or those japan guys. prices are going up, but these guys are tryin to artificially push them up. sellng for crazy prices to nobody, until other sellers become greedy and say "wait a minute,,, i can get $2k for my sh101 too". at least that is what they are counting on. i can put my sh101 on ebay tommorow for $15000. that doesn't mean it has suddenly become going price.

so when looking for one give it a few weeks, a month or so. haste and impatience usually mean overpaying for vintage gear. and you are playing into these greedy dealer's hands. and consider other places beside ebay, it's crucial.

and, this thread with bombastic yet terribly misinformed title, wont help things either. i even thought of darkest scenario - maybe OP has a stash SH-101s at home, and is tryin to inflate the price quickly i kid, i kid,, but one should be careful posting things like these.
My post is pointing out that there is a trend here with the SH-101 prices going up. I'm not saying you can't still find a bargain, of course you can, you hear about them all the time "I found this synth at a garage sale for $50, the owner had no idea what it was, thought it was an organ". But these are rarer than the massive amount trying to get the cash grab. Let it serve as a warning to those who are "in the market" - and hopefully they will soon stop inflating these prices.

My post also points out that there are brand new alternatives now to this synth - ideally you wont get scientifically exactly the same sound - but you will be able to achieve pretty much the same synthesis possibilities.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post

My post also points out that there are brand new alternatives now to this synth - ideally you wont get scientifically exactly the same sound - but you will be able to achieve pretty much the same synthesis possibilities.
Like buying a different guitar that however also has 6 strings and the same number of frets.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

the whole thread sounds like someone trying to hype the price. I bought a mint one last month for £520 , they are around £450- £500 in uk , anymore and your being shafted.

Sound wise they are both amazing and really boring all at the same time.

Personally i think there is more fun now in the new Arturia micro and mini and the Vermona lancet and they nail the 101 sound and add some if you want it.

its bollocks that they are fetching alot more and its another ' i have one for sale so i will hype the market via forums ' event isnt it ? people do seem to be doing this now , hyping their own gears price with ' did you see what x synth is going for now ' before selling it.

Sorry if thats not the case but just why do people fixate on the top end price some morons are selling gear for on ebay or trying to ?

please wake up , sh101s sell for £450 - 500 ish.

anyone paying over £600 gets a Moron badge.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdn View Post

I wish they were that cheap in Finland as well. :(
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
I wish they were that cheap in Finland as well. :(
Keep an eye on synthforum.nl and sequencer.de trading forums

That said, I paid 550€ for my blue one, bought locally three years ago. (it needed some tech help though)
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac
here's why the price is so high,but you can't buy genius

Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Fully agreed, not sure where ranzee's looking?
$900 or £542 is the average on the last 50 sold on ebay, slightly more for the coloured ones.

Here's one track that add's value:

I paid £500 for a blue one 4 years ago and the seller posted mint pics from google rather than the badly scratched one he sold but after loads of hassle and him going awol, I decided to just keep it and put him top of my flying headbutt list if our paths ever cross.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
the whole thread sounds like someone trying to hype the price. I bought a mint one last month for £520 , they are around £450- £500 in uk , anymore and your being shafted.

Sound wise they are both amazing and really boring all at the same time.

Personally i think there is more fun now in the new Arturia micro and mini and the Vermona lancet and they nail the 101 sound and add some if you want it.

its bollocks that they are fetching alot more and its another ' i have one for sale so i will hype the market via forums ' event isnt it ? people do seem to be doing this now , hyping their own gears price with ' did you see what x synth is going for now ' before selling it.

Sorry if thats not the case but just why do people fixate on the top end price some morons are selling gear for on ebay or trying to ?

I don't own an SH-101, so don't see how I would get any benefit from trying to "hype the price" - as I have said (probably twice now) - its a thread more for "buyer beware" than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevee0303 View Post
Fully agreed, not sure where ranzee's looking?
$900 or £542 is the average on the last 50 sold on ebay, slightly more for the coloured ones.

Here's one track that add's value:

I paid £500 for a blue one 4 years ago and the seller posted mint pics from google rather than the badly scratched one he sold but after loads of hassle and him going awol, I decided to just keep it and put him top of my flying headbutt list if our paths ever cross.
I looked at the latest "completed" listings on Ebay.com.au and Ebay.com (as I live in Australia) - adjusted the price by -10% (for exchange rate from AUD to USD). I'm not the type to get all OCD and wasn't doing a forensic examination on EVERY SINGLE SH-101 sale (so of course there are cheaper ones), it was a general perception observation by me (as I have SH-101 in my daily ebay email search alerts), and I kept seeing the prices go up (on average). In fact, since I started monitoring the SH-101 prices (around Jan 2014) they were around the $600 asking price - and have increasingly gone up to those I mentioned in my OP. I just think its insane to even ask for this, but as alot of you have agreed with me, if people pay that, then they are being careless - and it really doesn't help the "market" at all.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's a pretty cool synth in its way. Actual value as a tool? Maybe $600. Maybe.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

I got mine less than a year ago for $500 straight off of eBay. Came in great cosmetic condition, plus had the mod grip and even original Roland strap that goes with it, but it had a few dead keys. It required repairing some traces on the circuit board to get some of the keys back to life (looked like some dropped food in it), but it was only a $20 repair job and now it's good as new.

Prior to getting one from eBay, I saw one locally in horrible looking condition locally at a music shop for $700. Everything worked, but it was scratched up and had someone's name written on it in permanent marker. It looked like some tried to use nail polish remover to clean it because the texture of plastic looked like it was melting off.

I'd say the best way to get one now for cheap is find one that doesn't work, but talk things over with the seller and determine if it's fixable or not. There's always extra keys, mod wheels, sliders and knobs on eBay. As long as it powers on, I'd say there's a good chance of doing a simple DIY repair job and scoring one for cheaper.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

The SH 101 was a cheap synth in the 80's.
Something like the GAIA or the SH 201.

Now its a vintage instrument, but mates, you are right, pay over 500-600 its a mistake.

Great for basses, but hey, look all the new stuff from Arturia and Waldorf.
And take it easy, do you really need one ?

Look at this one, here.

Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2213919...ectorid=229466
$ 1231, my holly cow
Are we serious ?
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog1 View Post

Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?Roland SH101 Analog Synthesizer Original Manual SH 101 Synth | eBay
$ 1231, my holly cow
Are we serious ?
People do pay and will pay obscene amounts of money for a SH-101 these days. I used to pick up 101's for £150 at a time many years ago, even a blue one.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

Mine was a gift from a friend musician, because i help him in his home studio several times.

I played several times even live connected to the TR-808 and TR- 707.
Great analog stuff
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

One went on Germany for 800 something euros. Theres no such thing as artificially pushing the price up. Its supply to demand. People are paying prices under 1000 dollars for sh101s right now so thats the going rate based on supply to demand
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I bought a mint one last year for $700 from a reputable dude. Certainly wouldn't pay over $1,000 for one. Beautiful synth though!
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
... but it had a few dead keys. It required repairing some traces on the circuit board to get some of the keys back to life (looked like some dropped food in it), but it was only a $20 repair job and now it's good as new..
I'm guessing that $20 was for you to do the repair yourself?

The local electronics repair businesses in my city charge at least $100 to look at fixing stuff. Then they add parts and if the repair takes more than 1hr it goes up $100 per hour. Most of them charge $40 just to "look at it". Which isn't refundable nor does it come off the cost of the repair.

I'm still looking around for someone who's not trying to get me to pay their mortgage for them ...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Something like the GAIA or the SH 201.

Now its a vintage instrument, but mates, you are right, pay over 500-600 its a mistake.

Great for basses, but hey, look all the new stuff from Arturia and Waldorf.
And take it easy, do you really need one ?

Look at this one, here.

Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?Roland SH101 Analog Synthesizer Original Manual SH 101 Synth | eBay
$ 1231, my holly cow
Are we serious ?
Couldn't agree more.

BTW - on that Ebay listing, this is just his/her "asking price" - it doesn't mean he/she is going to sell it for that.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

The local electronics repair businesses in my city charge at least $100 to look at fixing stuff. Then they add parts and if the repair takes more than 1hr it goes up $100 per hour. Most of them charge $40 just to "look at it". Which isn't refundable nor does it come off the cost of the repair.

I'm still looking around for someone who's not trying to get me to pay their mortgage for them ...
Yeah, umm...f that
Most 'techs' don't know what they're doing anyways
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Has anyone observed how basic mods affects to the price?
(Talking about simple vc filter/modulation inputs here)

Does people pay for 'authenticity' or 'usefulness'...?

By the way, it like the year 2010 again.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Mine has a very nice mod from a time traveler from the future that lets me latch transpose
so I can do Berlin Style key changes with the sequencer or arpeggiator and one finger. It is the best mod
I have seen for this synth.

rachel
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
a time traveler from the future
Excuse me?
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sure was. That's how it ended up being instrumental in dance music. All the tools used for that were inherently what was cheap at the time. A couple of cheap synths and a sampler (which wasn't cheap ) and off.....
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks OP for raising the value of my 101.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

There are more affordable alternatives: Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?Roland CMU-810 @ebay

Quote:
It can generate true MC-202/SH-101 bass sounds which have become very popular in electronic music.
The CMU-810's obscurity does not come with a heavy price tag either.
In fact, they often make a cheaper alternative to the more common Roland bass/lead-synths.
From Vintage Synth

I need that... Must resist...
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah, I did all the repair work myself. I first asked a shop about it and they said it would have cost $50 simply to have them look at it, so I decided to open it up and look at it myself. The circuit board had corrosion on it, but the traces were still visible. I looked at a bunch of YouTube videos on how to fix the traces and the easiest solution I found was using a "conductive pen" which I was able to get at RadioShack for $20. It took about half a day to dry and I haven't had any problems with it since.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search