The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Personal opinion, there is no way a Roland SH-101 is worth close to 2000$...

It is definitely a good sounding synth, but extremely limited.
For around 500€, a bit more, you can get a Studio Electronics SE-1x that is much more versatile and powerful than the Roland SH-101.
I have both and in terms of sound for the same price, I don't think there is much to think about really...

What I think is really cool in the Roland is the arpeggiator and sequencer, especially if you have a Roland TR with trigger outputs.
That is great for improvisations and jamming and definitely makes it more worth getting.

But still, even with the cool sequencer setup, I can't really see it being worth that insane amount...
Even 1000€ for one seems too much in my opinion...
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paugui View Post
For around 500€, a bit more, you can get a Studio Electronics SE-1x that is much more versatile and powerful than the Roland SH-101.
I tend to think that for people buying 101 the thing is to get that sound.
Also, it is about the look and feel. Toying around with simple 101 gives gratification that many of us can't achieve with a rack monster filled with buttons and LCD screens.

It's like getting a vintage Harley Davidson over modern bike with bells and whistles; purely emotional decision.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

well .. if 101 is not worth 2000$ cause its extremely limited than 303 should be like half price of 101 … any way ..kidding here
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

2000 for a 101 is insanity as far as I'm concerned. For about a grand you can get my SH 101 substitution (SH-09 / Kenton Pro Solo II / midipal running SH style sequencer)
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Ten years from now when the SH-101 sells for $4,000-$5,000 there will be people feeling good about buying it for 2K back in 2014.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
Ten years from now when the SH-101 sells for $4,000-$5,000 there will be people feeling good about buying it for 2K back in 2014.
...or two years from now, Korg builds a clone!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

My blue SH101 w/mod grip sold for around $1300 a few years back..

Is an SH101 worth that much?

Hell no.

Do people consistently pay more for x item than I ever would?

Absolutely.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

People take better care of things with value. These beauties are not made anymore, so it's just a good thing they don't end up trashed.

If you treat it well, you'll get your money back when you don't need it anymore,
so it's a safe investment. Better than most new pieces.

It might sting a little when buying one, but after that it's euphoria.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear
most overrated synth ever! 200 is a fair price
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

its worth as much as people are willing to pay for it so i guess its justified but ridiculous at the same time.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
well .. if 101 is not worth 2000$ cause its extremely limited than 303 should be like half price of 101 … any way ..kidding here

I actually agree with you.

I find the Roland TB-303 stupidly overrated.
It surely sounds good, but there are other fantastic synths with a sound as good and way way more versatile.

But hey... I'm not a guy that needs to have exactly that sound, as long as it sounds good.

That's why I much rather have a my Studio Electronics SE-1x if sound was all that mattered (sure the SH-101 has a better interface and the arp/seq are both fantastic tools to jam with).
Or even my Yamaha CS-15 (which I think is really underrated).
I find both to be much more versatile and still fantastically sounding machines.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

SH-101 just strikes me as a synth that wouldn't be that hard to do a clone of, like the x0xb0x and the 303. If Korg keeps doing well with remakes we might see someone else make a clone of the 101 with prices where they are.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac
i just got a bass station 2 for 375.00 and i love it

3 weeks after i bought it someone offered me a 101 in great condition with the grip for 600.00
i am hard pressed not to buy the 101 at that price even though i don' really need it
Old 9th March 2014
Buy a sh101 or a brand new microbrute for 1/4 of the price and have more interesting options and sound character.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

I believe if Novation would have build a knock-off with no presets, limited functionality but close in looks to the original, they could have made it cheaper and sold it for more. Once Korg penetrates Roland territory we can expect a closer clone.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know what the original poster is talking about. I just searched ebay.com for completed auctions with more than just 1 bid, and the average price seems to be around $ 1000 US with multiple bids 15-30. That seems perfectly reasonable to me given the age and popularity of this synth. A far cry from $ 2000.
I bought one for $ 150 in Australia in 1998 and sold it less than a year later for $ 650 because I had too much luggage to travel home with. I would like to buy another to go along with my 707, 727 and korg volcas, as it would complete my live jam setup with it's awesome arp and sequencer. Supply and demand. I want it.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

I have a 101 and love it. Would I pay 2000$ for it. Never!

And I dont really think the price is 2000. It just the usual greedy idiots trying to take advantage of the situation. You can find a green/gray one for 600-700€. Maybe less
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yea average price is indeed around 700€ / $1000 ... $2K is ridiculous
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

We're spoilt for choice now, nobody needs to spend a fortune on a monosynth.

Vermona Lancet, no PWM but it has a second oscillator:

Or an Anushri (101 style sequencer and drums built in):

Or a Trax Retrowave:

New version on the way:

Quote:
traxcontrols
3 months ago

Hi, the new improved version is expected to be available at the end of January 2014.?

traxcontrols
5 months ago
in reply to Theotim92

Hi, There will be a new version, not radically different, but with some improvements that people have asked for, including less bright indicator LEDs, tune control combined with pitch bender (having an easy to find centre dead zone), an improved case, etc. plus some other ideas? yet to be finalized.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

2k, damn I blew it. Sold mine for $900 a year ago. I like the mini brute more. The oscillators don't sound quite as good, but it can do way more. I thought they would go down given how many great monos there are now. I'd rather have an MS-20 any day.
Old 9th March 2014
that Lancet sounded sweet!

ps ~ there's an SH-101 selling in the Vancouver Craigslist for $1k
vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/4345561449.html
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
...or two years from now, Korg builds a clone!
In every instance of gear being cloned that I can think of the price of the original goes up. Moog Voyager > Model D, Prophet 8 > Prophet 5, UA LA-2A/1176, x0x clones > real 303, various plug ins > real hardware.

MS-20 mini maybe not so much because it's the same but better at a WAY lower price. But some random Korg x0x will only make demand for the original go up. Aira will boost 101, 303, 808 and 909 prices as well.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have to agree with what's written just before.

Plenty of nice synths for much less!
Sure it's not the exact same sound, but they sound really good still.

With polyphonic synths it's a bit different, but in the mono department, between the modules available and the modular route, there are plenty of great choices that should prevent such a limited synth to get sold for such an high price...
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post
that Lancet sounded sweet!

ps ~ there's an SH-101 selling in the Vancouver Craigslist for $1k
vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/4345561449.html
Ooh, there's a red one with handle in San Francisco CL for $1550.
Old 9th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Ooh, there's a red one with handle in San Francisco CL for $1550.
more expensive than i expected
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

In my opinion, Sh101 is just a plastic little synth unless you have the nova mod installed, it will totally bring the 101 into a more expensive sound and price level.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by parquix View Post
In my opinion, Sh101 is just a plastic little synth unless you have the nova mod installed, it will totally bring the 101 into a more expensive sound and price level.
Maybe, but this little plastic sucker stinks of dance music like maybe no other synth apart from the 303. Not a quality you'll improve by altering its tone.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear
That retrowave has a very interesting sound. What is it closest to, tone-wise?
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Maybe, but this little plastic sucker stinks of dance music like maybe no other synth apart from the 303. Not a quality you'll improve by altering its tone.
You are right, one of the reasons why these gear price going up is simply because they are part of the music history since 1980's. And the audience are so get used to "that sound".
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah it actually think this maybe incorrectly reported by the op- above me in buy now in Australia for $1100 in the eBay ticker and another with a starting price of $700. still expensive but about what I've seen them for. Still the 106 are going for more!
If you want a 101 look at a anushri (I have one for sale in the classifieds for $450) and they sound nearly identical.
Anyway I don't think it's bad as first thought.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search