The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 26th April 2014
  #271
Lives for gear
 
Seccione's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy101 View Post
So if the forthcoming System one gets amazing reviews, would that make an ounce of difference to the market value of the sh101?
I'd say it's different people investing to vintage analogues than people going for new groove boxes.
101 would be the choice of people who enjoys spending their time in analog domain - CV/Gating, pulse signal syncing to drum boxes etc.

Of course it's not all black and white, but the Aira line's focus clearly is working with computers, in digital domain.



Has the prices of 303/808/909 been declining since the release of new Rolands?
(This wasn't a rhetoric question, I actually don't know?)
Old 26th April 2014
  #272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Has the prices of 303/808/909 been declining since the release of new Rolands?
(This wasn't a rhetoric question, I actually don't know?)
there's usually always one of them available on Craigslist Vancouver... but more recently (the week before/after first AIRA announcement) i saw a bunch of 303(3)/808(3)/909(2) advertised within a few weeks... also, the postings were more flexible on price: not as many "firm" statements.

for instance:
Quote:
VANCOUVER CRAIGSLIST
ROLAND TR 909 analog drum machine

It is with a heavy heart that I sell my tr 909. Something has to go, and sadly this is it.

I am accepting offers on it. I know what I paid for it, and I would like to get as close to that as possible, but it also comes down to what the bled-dry Vancouver market can bear. Let me know if you are interested and how much you want to spend.

The machine itself is in fantastic condition.
the asking prices were still high (tho within normal price quotes i've seen last few years): the 808's were advertised from $2800-3500, the 303's were around $3K (can't remember for sure) and an earlier 909 posting (feb i think) was asking $3200.

note: all of them were gone within 2-3 weeks... the craigslist ad i referenced is a more recent one.
Old 26th April 2014
  #273
Lives for gear
 
Seccione's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood View Post
... 303's were around $3K (can't remember for sure) ...
Whhhhat? They go that high nowadays? :O
I was just offered one for $1950 few weeks back, and I though that was high!!!






Why didn't I just grab it?!?!?!







Oh yeah, because of the missis.
Old 26th April 2014
  #274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
Whhhhat? They go that high nowadays? :O
I was just offered one for $1950 few weeks back, and I thought that was high!!!
lol.

now thinking my 303 guesstimate was high; maybe one was 3K and the other two closer to 2K... second-guessing this cuz the EBay prices i referenced to check are closer to what you were offered than what i saw on CL; or possibly cuz i was more interested in the 808/909/606's and remembered wrong

then again being in canada i find prices often have a bit of a bump compared to usa.
Old 26th April 2014
  #275
Lives for gear
 
AuldLangSine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
A more apt comparison, using your logic, would be to expect to pay the same for a Toyota Camry as you did when it was new, 20 to 30 years later ...

Would you?

Doubtful.

The rest of your post regarding current food prices is irrelevant.


That's not using my logic-- that's your illogic and obfuscation. I am talking about the concept of inflation. You're confusing things by referring to depreciation. You drive a new car off the lot, you have lost $1000s of dollars. The depreciation of musical instruments varies from item to item, depending on various factors. That has nothing to do with my point.

My point is completely relevant. There are other factors at play, but looking purely from the point of view of something called monetary inflation, it is a fact that the price of a Roland SH-101 is virtually the same today as it was when first released in the early 1980's. The gray SH-101's are in fact cheaper today than when brand new. The red and blue ones cost the same almost to the dollar.

Imagine the sucker that paid $450 for a gray SH-101 brand new in 1982. They could have waited 34 years to buy one for $900 today, which is substantially less in value than $450 in 1982.

You said the price was greatly inflated. It is not. That was the only point I wanted to make.

Can I be a client of yours? I would like to pay you $4 an hour-- I am being generous, as the minimum wage in 1982 was $3.35/hr.
Old 29th April 2014
  #276
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post


That's not using my logic-- that's your illogic and obfuscation. I am talking about the concept of inflation. You're confusing things by referring to depreciation. You drive a new car off the lot, you have lost $1000s of dollars. The depreciation of musical instruments varies from item to item, depending on various factors. That has nothing to do with my point.

My point is completely relevant. There are other factors at play, but looking purely from the point of view of something called monetary inflation, it is a fact that the price of a Roland SH-101 is virtually the same today as it was when first released in the early 1980's. The gray SH-101's are in fact cheaper today than when brand new. The red and blue ones cost the same almost to the dollar.

Imagine the sucker that paid $450 for a gray SH-101 brand new in 1982. They could have waited 34 years to buy one for $900 today, which is substantially less in value than $450 in 1982.

You said the price was greatly inflated. It is not. That was the only point I wanted to make.

Can I be a client of yours? I would like to pay you $4 an hour-- I am being generous, as the minimum wage in 1982 was $3.35/hr.
You're muddying the waters by comparing apples to, well, really old apples.

$450 in 1982 was equivalent to $1100 today, so paying 900 in today's money is roughly 80 percent of the original value, that for a 34 year-old, cheaply made budget synth is, as the thread title asks "insane". You should be paying a pittance of the original value, I'd say even 150 or 250 would be a generous amount today (which is what you can get a Jx3p for, a better all-around 'vintage' synth). So, say 10 - 20 percent of original value would be an appropriate amount for a nice clean 101, not 80 percent.

You keep comparing the "value" of a 34 year old synth to its "as new" value, but that's a strawman and it makes no sense - I used the 30 year-old Toyota Camry example; you'd pay a few hundred dollars for one today, even in best condition - a fraction of what it was worth originally.

Do you understand the difference?

If not, I've got a vintage bridge for sale, it's located in Brooklyn and it's really old school ...
Old 29th April 2014
  #277
Just saw this: Atlantis | intellijel

I haven't heard even less used one but that could make for a good alternative pricewise
Old 30th April 2014
  #278
bry
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
My point is completely relevant.
Old 1st May 2014
  #279
Nrt
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
New in 1982, SH-101's were $595 list price.
That's about $1,200 today.
Bread is no longer ten cents a loaf.
Some of you sound like you think $500 in the 80's or 90's is remotely equivalent to $500 today.
Although this is a really good point, the vintage synth price is not determined by the original price, but determined by supply and demand. If the current price is determined only by inflation factor, DX7 should be sold at $6000 today, instead of $200.

The reason why SH 101 is getting popularity is because it is one of the most fashionable and hip sounding mono synth today, and many who heard it or touched it want to get one, but not many want to sell his. AIRA or LuSH 101 would be great, but they don't offer the same sound and experience.

Today, both rich modular guys and poor techno punk kids are keep falling in love with 101's distinctive raw sound. They may feel 303 or Moog are somewhat dated and boring, and they are looking for something more interesting. Many upcoming Post EDM electronic music artists such as Factory Floor uses SH101 extensively, and their music is very fresh indeed.

The synth sound of the following videos is all SH101, or additional a few Eurorack modules, according to the articles about them.



Old 1st May 2014
  #280
Gear Maniac
 
captaink's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt View Post
Nice!
Old 1st May 2014
  #281
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
So is there any particular reason why this thread got moved to the "Moan
Zone" when it is actually about a specific synthesizer? Seems a bit silly considering there's a totally hypothetical thread about "the future worth of digital synths" over in the electronic music section that hasn't been moved.
Old 8th May 2014
  #282
Lives for gear
 
AuldLangSine's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
You're muddying the waters by comparing apples to, well, really old apples.

$450 in 1982 was equivalent to $1100 today, so paying 900 in today's money is roughly 80 percent of the original value, that for a 34 year-old, cheaply made budget synth is, as the thread title asks "insane". You should be paying a pittance of the original value, I'd say even 150 or 250 would be a generous amount today (which is what you can get a Jx3p for, a better all-around 'vintage' synth). So, say 10 - 20 percent of original value would be an appropriate amount for a nice clean 101, not 80 percent.

You keep comparing the "value" of a 34 year old synth to its "as new" value, but that's a strawman and it makes no sense - I used the 30 year-old Toyota Camry example; you'd pay a few hundred dollars for one today, even in best condition - a fraction of what it was worth originally.

Do you understand the difference?

If not, I've got a vintage bridge for sale, it's located in Brooklyn and it's really old school ...

My only point is that the SH-101 has retained its value. It is virtually the same price it was when new.


For something to retain its full value over thirty plus years, especially in this age of disposable electronics, is indicative that there is indeed something very special about the SH-101.

That's a fact. You don't seem to like facts at all.

It would be extremely illogical to take this point of view, this fact, and then grossly overgeneralize, declaring that the person who stated this fact about the SH-101 believes that everything ever made or sold therefore should retain its exact original value.

You are connecting dots that don't exist. That's classic strawman-- attacking a point of view that doesn't even exist.

Talk about muddying waters...

And, by the way, thanks for dragging this discussion single-handedly into The Moan Zone.
Old 19th May 2014
  #283
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 

Roland SH-101 prices insane or justified?Roland SH 101 SH101 Vintage Mono Synth | eBay Haha Guess he discovered the error
Old 5 days ago
  #284
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt View Post
I bought mine for $500 a few years ago, and I thought the price is insane... Seriously Roland should release the real analog reissue for $500, like MS20.
Nope someone else did for less.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump