The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's with these $200 "audiophile" USB cables?? Modular Synthesizers
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear
What's with these $200 "audiophile" USB cables??

Seriously?!?!?

I'm sure you've seen them around. Are people just suckers?

Also seen comments on other forums like:

"some USB cables require burn in...the XXXXXX USB cable either requires a few days or over a hundred hours to sound its best"

and

"If there is an impedance mismatch, some degree of deterioration of sound quality can occur..."

Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Fools and their money are soon parted. More money = more fools.

"Burn in" is a clear sign of deception and basically lies. Wire is wire, once basic quality levels are given.

USB carries digital signals, not audio. USB cable have no sound, unless there is interference or static.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

I do high resolution photography and after starting to use the $1999 ResMAXX(™) USB cable connected to the new piXelSqueeZer(™) ($6999 for a limited time only) memory card reader there has been a quantum jump in the saturation and the sharpness of my photographs. DOF is even more shallow with high speed lenses than before and vignetting has totally convincing bookeh. Even some camera shake does not show as much in the final image. My friends have started to comment favorably on the realistic but dreamy tone mapping now evident in my work. Best investment I ever did in my post processing gear.

Not.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Marketing, nothing like buying a bunch of $1.00 cables and selling them for 200 times that price!
Hype and bull goes a long way !
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
It is as much nonsense as 'gold plated' TOSlink connectors. The signal (light) travels through the glass or plastic 'core'.
Just marketing BS.
Matt S
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR View Post
Seriously?!?!?

I'm sure you've seen them around. Are people just suckers?

Also seen comments on other forums like:

"some USB cables require burn in...the XXXXXX USB cable either requires a few days or over a hundred hours to sound its best"

and

"If there is an impedance mismatch, some degree of deterioration of sound quality can occur..."

its mother earth and its human beings. both given you can be sure, that there are idiots among us human beings. 2 kinds of idiots: the criminal idiots, that "construct" this stuff, and the foolish idiots, that buy this stuff.

foolish idiots, because they are not really tricked into something, they are too dumb to inform themslves about the subject and think for themselves.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Don't know about USB but Firewire cables have to be burned in,hence the name firewire.
Its a well known fact.
Old 4th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
I do high resolution photography and after starting to use the $1999 ResMAXX(™) USB cable connected to the new piXelSqueeZer(™) ($6999 for a limited time only) memory card reader there has been a quantum jump in the saturation and the sharpness of my photographs. DOF is even more shallow with high speed lenses than before and vignetting has totally convincing bookeh. Even some camera shake does not show as much in the final image. My friends have started to comment favorably on the realistic but dreamy tone mapping now evident in my work. Best investment I ever did in my post processing gear.

Not.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Don't know about USB but Firewire cables have to be burned in,hence the name firewire.
Its a well known fact.
Explains... so much.

heh

You know, we laugh about these audiophilliac-targeted scams -- but how many of us have ended up in a Best Buy or Staples or other mega-store on a Sunday with a 25 cent USB cable [if you were to buy, say 10K units ], shrinkwrapped with chain branding (or worse a 'nationally known brand') and being asked to pay $22-$30 for that USB cable?

It's a matter of degree, to be sure -- but it still should be deeply offensive that these companies are taking such outrageous markups (probably at multiple points along the way to try to 'disguise' the abusive nature of the pricing).
Old 4th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Its a well known fact.
Now I know why I get so many FW bandwidth errors, I just need to burn in my cable!!!
Old 4th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Now I know why I get so many FW bandwidth errors, I just need to burn in my cable!!!
Just make sure you buy the high resolution/high definition lighter fluid...
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think the high-price USB cables have extra snake oil. And it's premium grade, unfiltered 'virgin' snake oil. Well worth it IMHO.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

It's even more prevalent with iOS accessories, as I found out after a friend gave me a screen cracked iPhone 4. $20.00 screen protectors? I point my finger and laugh at them. $1.46 for six of them at amazon, lol.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
It is as much nonsense as 'gold plated' TOSlink connectors.
Matt S
never heard of them...can they be 14 k or only 24 ?
Old 4th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
I think the high-price USB cables have extra snake oil. And it's premium grade, unfiltered 'virgin' snake oil. Well worth it IMHO.
Do virgin snakes reproduce through parthenogenesis?
Old 4th March 2014
... yeah the data becomes truly warmer and way more analog. can't anyone tell the difference ?

#fail.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear
It's the same with HDMI.
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

Bull****

I agree its marketing taking advantage of ignorance. At least its the entertainment industry in this case, instead of the pharm industry.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Actually I think digital cable quality is exceedingly important while analog cable quality is mostly a load of crap (in the balanced world).
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

You get cleaner digits.

I knew about expensive HDMI cables but actually had to look up the USB ones. Saw some sad discussions.

Now that wireless speakers are becoming more popular for home audio, I am going to have to make some sort or overpriced air purifier to increase the fidelity through a cleaner transmission of the Bluetooth signal. Increases your WIFI speed and range, I promise
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
You get cleaner digits.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim View Post
It's the same with HDMI.
High Definition Marketing Ignorance?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

... and if you buy one of these and hook it up to your printer, the text on the paper will be so much sharper ...

(That's my default response to anybody seriously contemplating "audiophile" digital cables. They either get it then or they never will.).
Old 5th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_K View Post
... and if you buy one of these and hook it up to your printer, the text on the paper will be so much sharper ...

(That's my default response to anybody seriously contemplating "audiophile" digital cables. They either get it then or they never will.).
Sadly, I'm thinking it looks like many people wouldn't get the joke.

That said, I think we're looking at a paperless generation coming up, so maybe they can be forgiven some unfamiliarity with such an exotic technology.

Unfortunately, it also looks like many of that generation would rather watch a slow-witted, slow-moving video for information than use their brain at the speeds it is is capable of by reading.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Unfortunately, it also looks like many of that generation would rather watch a slow-witted, slow-moving video for information
I see you've been to my YouTube channel

Seriously though, I've seen the printer explanation open up a few peoples eyes. You can ask nearly anyone if they believe a more expensive cable will make their printer output sharper and they will intuitively say "no". From there, it only takes a little contemplation and a basic understanding of digital information to debunk all the digital cable audiophile myths for themselves.

My all-time favorite is cryogenic freezing CDs for better audio "purity": 1 Improving CDs & DVDs Sound Quality - Audio Experience With Deep Cryogenic Processing & Cryogenics International (I just read that one again, makes me laugh every time).
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
My all-time favorite is cryogenic freezing CDs for better audio "purity": 1 Improving CDs & DVDs Sound Quality - Audio Experience With Deep Cryogenic Processing & Cryogenics International (I just read that one again, makes me laugh every time).
Wow, that is insane. Freeze your digits for a more pristine sound.

I don't know if something like vinyl would take well to this but lets say it did. It still wouldn't make anything sound better, it would make it last longer, be more durable. That process is used in a lot of applications and it works. The caveat is that it doesn't improve anything, it just makes things stronger/more durable. It doesn't increase performance.

By evening out the molecules in a Compact Disk, the digital imprint on the disk becomes more true to form. Absolutely amazing. I know when I get stressed, things become less clear, it all makes sense now. My stressed CD's could benefit greatly. I may need to take them to a mediation session or we could do om chants together. Mind opening.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Wow, that is insane. Freeze your digits for a more pristine sound.
I'm surprised they didn't say the CD sounded "warmer", but probably decided that referring to something as warm after you say you've frozen it may confuse people.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm surprised they didn't say the CD sounded "warmer", but probably decided that referring to something as warm after you say you've frozen it may confuse people.
That would be a lie though. Trust me, after reading that article, I put my iphone in the freezer. Though it's not cold enough to to get the full effects, it did persevere most of my songs, no degradation or any of that. I am loving it. I am going to freeze all of my digital stuff. I wish I could afford the real deal though, I truly wonder what this process could do for my digital samplers. I do have a SPDIF cable on ice right now though. I will A/B it once done
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

Cables make a difference, when you are talking about waveform propagation and source impedance etc.

Digital (USB) has been problematic for audiophiles because it appears that all of this spdif and usb stuff was done (in the past) without any buffering and re-clocking. In those situations, when the cable may help by providing a better rise time (for instance) or by not interacting with the jitter of the source. Then I can imagine it would help.

However, with modern DACs that buffer and reclock I believe the cable issue is far diminished.

Now - mind you - I do hear a HUGE DIFFERENCE in analog cables in my stereo system. Silver is best.

Sincerely,

Audiophilia Nervosa
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone who refers to cabling as interconnects wastes a lot of money on cabling. Spending $3-5k for an IEC cable? There was an audiophile at my folks place and I was leafing through some of his catalogs. There are speaker cables that are worth more by the meter than a Neve pre amp. It's insane.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I was at an audiophile event and someone was A-B-ing one of the $200 usb cables with a cheap cable..... the person doing the demo seemed to be genuinely surprised when the people in the room couldn't hear a significant improvement in sound quality. It also seemed to take him about 5 minutes to switch cables for some reason, which was enough time to render any comparison useless.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search