The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's with these $200 "audiophile" USB cables?? Modular Synthesizers
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
Don't forget your cable elevators, gents. A steal at $159.00 for 8.................

I hang the speaker cables on handspun flaxen strings. Somewhat cheaper as a DIY project, but makes moving around the MCH listening room bit problematic.
Old 6th March 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

What are all these people doing about the dirty electricity that flows into their home? Dont they know they need to fix the problem at its source. I mean what good is a $500.00 power cable if the power coming in is bad....idiots!
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
Sweet, I bet my copy of Alf Sings 1001 Johnny Mathis Classics on Norwegian White Label Whale Blubber 666g vinyl will sound amazing through your system.
That would amazing, playing 128kb/s mp3s through that would make it sound like vinyl!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
What are all these people doing about the dirty electricity that flows into their home? Dont they know they need to fix the problem at its source.
Wrong. You don't need to fix it at its source.

Last edited by Robo; 7th March 2014 at 04:35 AM..
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
{What are all these people doing about the dirty electricity that flows into their home? Dont they know they need to fix the problem at its source.}

To get this into perspective even if the AC arriving at your wall outlet were absolutely 'pure' sinewave with NO extraneous signals, by the time it has gone through the rectifier part of the power suppy INSIDE your box, it is the equivalent of stuffing your hand into a blender, it is not 'pure' anymore.

On the USB question I suppose there could be some problem if through excessive cable length or interference repeated error correction could delay the timely and overall necessary continuous bit stream. The issue then becomes one of how the individual pieces of gear handle serious data corruption. It is obviously buffered but if the error correction takes longer than the allocated time frame the signal will 'drop out'.
Thus although error correction can probably recover most signal deformity there will be a point where it takes too long. Such technology is used on portable CD players for example (and most other places) where the required 'audio' data is read and stored in a short memory so it can be streamed out at a constant rate.
Matt S
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have a static electricity collector for my studio, pure unadulterated power, never touched by the man. I stole the idea from "Atlas Shrugged."
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
Wouldn't they go nicely with these RCA plugs?

WBT 0110-Ag RCA "Next Gen" Pure Silver
They look really cheap like those Radio Shack $1.99 solderless ones.
Usually they at least make em look expensive.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

$3,500 - 3ft

If you guys are not using what I'm using all over my studio... (10 metres) - you better get outta' the game boys!

USB Cable $3,500 per foot.

Locus Design Cynosure V2 USB cable 6 ft. | Digital | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
If you guys are not using what I'm using all over my studio... (10 metres) - you better get outta' the game boys!

A glowing review of the Cynosure cable mentioned above...

Cynosure Review

From review: "Everything sounds more forward, clearer, sharper, more focused and just damn better"

Too bad they're discontinued, or I would pick up a few. I bet if I plugged one into my PS3 controller, it would take me to the next level in Street Fighter.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Locus Design Cynosure V2 USB cable 6 ft. | Digital | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Hate to say, but the guy responsible for that is a snake-oil genius. Knowing he cannot make a USB cable any worse, he just stuffs every piece of shielding material he can around a standard USB cable that costs him $1.99. Thing looks like a snake that swallowed too many rats. He puts the braiding on the outside so you can see some evidence of what he says he's done, but who knows what is under that braiding. Who can afford to cut one open? He practically says the solder is made from a Unicorn horn. And the price. I mean, go big or go home. There are people who will buy it just because it is ridiculously expensive who wouldn't have have bought it if it were a mere $200.

Just don't forget to get the cable elevators for it.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
Sweet, I bet my copy of Alf Sings 1001 Johnny Mathis Classics on Norwegian White Label Whale Blubber 666g vinyl will sound amazing through your system.
This seems a heartless thing to say to a guy with a pet whale!
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quality and looks in one amazing package. I seriously wish I could DIY that.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumq View Post
This seems a heartless thing to say to a guy with a pet whale!
It's free range whale so it's totally cool.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Since I went and found those cable elevators I've been getting spammed by some place selling 10,000 dollar phono pres and the like. Hoo boy Nice bit of comedy though.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

Unfortunately, it also looks like many of that generation would rather watch a slow-witted, slow-moving video for information than use their brain at the speeds it is is capable of by reading.
I love that you said this! I nearly always ask news and sales sites if they have a transcript instead of a video. Sadly they usually don't!
Old 8th March 2014
Deleted User
just as a heads up this thread has me wondering if I can buy $1 usb cables and flipping them for profit.
As a result don't buy any usb cables more than $10 esp from me lol
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

There are technical specifications which need to be adhered to for USB cables to even just work within the USB spec. I've made high end USB cables and in that process found that standard cables (cheap to average quality/price) don't even come within the USB spec of 90 ohms +/-15% characteristic impedance. The ones I measured were 120 ohms and higher. USB spec cable used by the military/aviation industries that measures exactly 90 ohms is very expensive but you can get silver-plated teflon cable (military spec used by NASA, etc) that I have measured at around 95ohms which is perfect.

The other thing I did which can limit the degradation of the digital signal is to physically separate the power and data lines, so that there is no possible interference between them. If you use an external battery or clean power source for the 5v USB power, decoupling it from the dirty supply of the host computer, this can also really improve the signal.

Of course, I'm not saying 'USB cables have to be $200' or anything ludicrous like that and definitely a lot of that stuff you see is snake oil marketing, but some of it actually has a genuine benefit and it takes a bit of experience and knowledge to tell the marketing stuff from the genuine.

Cheers
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut
This guy really loves his cable elevators...
http://www.audiotweaks.com/reviews/c...ors/page03.htm
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregR View Post
Seriously?!?!?

I'm sure you've seen them around. Are people just suckers?

Also seen comments on other forums like:

"some USB cables require burn in...the XXXXXX USB cable either requires a few days or over a hundred hours to sound its best"

and

"If there is an impedance mismatch, some degree of deterioration of sound quality can occur..."

You're just jealous you haven't thought of a scam this good.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobole View Post
This guy really loves his cable elevators...
http://www.audiotweaks.com/reviews/c...ors/page03.htm
HAH! We used to collect those picking them up around my grandpa's farm... if only we'd saved them! They are high voltage insulators from the tops of old utility poles...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search