The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid circles the drain
Old 27th February 2014
  #91
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
What is equally fascinating to me is that so many audio engineer types understand how all of the stock/industry/market stuff works.
This.
Old 27th February 2014
  #92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
I don't think your viewpoint on this has anything to do with business. While apple could spend 200 million on avid and still pick up lunch I jut don't see them doing it. Sony on the other hand would be in a much better position to take advantage of what avid is selling.
Weren't Sony in a difficult position, financially, not so long ago? With people being let off all around?
As much as they would be reassured of the future of the most-used toolset in media creation, I dont think they would be able to subsidize it just like that (specially if it's not making money).

On the other hand, Sony is a much larger corporation than Yamaha, so maybe that sort of acquisition could be more easily handled by them. Who knows?...
Old 27th February 2014
  #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa View Post
Media Composer is the only way to go for many pros in Hollywood - I typically cut 12-14 synced cameras in a show and don't see Adobe Premiere's media management able to handle those type duties, nor would I want to approach a high budget feature film with Premiere. There's too much on-the-line with your reputation to risk Premiere or even FCPx for that matter…

With regard to codec, whatever a camera manufacturer releases, it's always the most efficient to cut in a native NLE codec like DNXHD or Prores.
A lot of industry pros used FCP up untill FCP X came out and a lot of them abandoned ship going to Avid or Adobe. Depending on who buys Avid, if anyone does, they may decide to go the same route as Apple and make Avid Media Composer something for the masses like FCP X and no longer something that is suitable for the pro market. I have learned over the past few years to never say never when it comes to companies and what they will do with existing products or software.

I am still waiting for Wavelab to get all of its problems solved with its new releases. Up until Version 6 it was one of the most stable programs around for doing mastering. Now after Steinberg and Yamaha got their hooks into what the designer was doing it is a mess.

What would happen in your world if Avid stopped doing updates and gave no support for the product and would not update the application for changes in the OS in the future? You would probably have to find a different DVW.

Apple in a lot of ways was very smart when they brought out FCP X- Maybe they could sell 1 million copies of FCP version 7 at $1200 per copy but with the pricing of FCP-X they can probably sell 10 million copies and make a lot more money. One application was for the pros one for the masses and the masses have a lot of money to spend overall.

Old 27th February 2014
  #94
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I'm sure there are ways to save Avid but it might be more advantageous for Apple to kill it. Especially if they don't want Avid to end up in the hands of competent competitors that could make it work. Again, this is rather common practice in the business world. Are you really not aware of that this is happening all the time? And of course I am not saying this is what will happen but it is not such an outlandish idea as some people make it out to be.
I still fail to see how this piece of software called Protools ( or the Avid editing apps ) is a threat to Apple. Apple is NOT in the business of making Daws, they are in the hardware business. They are not competing with Avid ( or Steinberg, or MOTU, etc). The software they make is just there to say "hey look, if you buy a Mac, you can get lots of shiny tools for audio/video, including our own Logic/FCP wich you can buy for very cheap" . Avid or any Audio-visual software developper is NOT a threat to Apple, because they are simply NOT competing. Developpers HELP sell more Macs ( and more iPhones and iPads ).
Apple could stop selling FCP and Logic tomorrow and the impact for Apple would be less that that of an ant falling over a Boeing 747.

The only reason they would even want to buy Avid is if they hear that someone like, say, Microsoft would want to buy them and kill Mac development. That would mean less Macs being sold. Apple would then rather buy Avid and kill PC development (like they did with Emagic) to make sure they get another exclusive piece of a major software , wich in turn means more Macs being sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
It isn't silly. It is just an example of Apple killing a product immediately after acquiring the company that makes it. And that was a profit making product not a loss making product! Sorry you can't see that. I'm sure there must be other examples.
Except for really big apps like Logic/FCP ( that help sell more hardware), Apple doesn't buy small products to keep selling them, they buy it to use that technology in bigger pieces. It's not like they said "Oh look, this tiny app from Redmatica , generates 30.000$ of profit a year, we should buy it cause we really need that money ! " We're talking about a company that makes BILLIONS of dollars a year.
I really think Apple is the last company to be interested in buying Avid.
1
Share
Old 27th February 2014
  #95
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
What is equally fascinating to me is that so many audio engineer types understand how all of the stock/industry/market stuff works.
Some do, most don't!

I very much doubt that anybody will buy Avid. Why bother? If they fail, then all sorts of people will be interested in the IP, but the company itself is too top-heavy. Seven layers of management and 29 prestige offices around the World and almost no presence in the all-important Third World, which is now the most important market.

There is a possibility that the major shareholders may take it private as a PE company or that it is added to an existing PE. As for what is going wrong - have a read of this lot -https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-...ml#post9894795
Old 27th February 2014
  #96
Lives for gear
 

Im a mixer. I don't fully understand stocks and wall street stuff. There, im not to proud to say it an spew out a bunch of BS that really just reiterates what everyone already knows like its some deep and insightfull post.

Is there anyone on reading this forum who is a trading/stock PROFESSIONAL who can spell this all out. I don't think anyone here truly gets it.

There a bit of irony. The community of people who always B%$#@ and complain about "non professionals" stealing all their business have now all suddenly become stock experts and are acting like true investment bankers.
Old 27th February 2014
  #97
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
Is there anyone on reading this forum who is a trading/stock PROFESSIONAL who can spell this all out. I don't think anyone here truly gets it.
Nobody gets it - because nobody has seen any books for two years, not even for their foreign-based subsidiaries!

All I and others can do, is speculate! Some things we do know, like falling user base and falling sales, because the MI market is well-documented and researched and there are enough surveys of user base for video and audio.

But with no books filed for two years and the books being rewritten since 2009, we have no idea of key indicators such as stock levels, sold/unsold goods, cash, liabilities, staffing costs or anything! At the moment, the average privately owned recording studio or video post facility is more transparent than Avid, because they have to file books at least once a year.

If I or indeed anybody takes on work or orders supplies from a company, it is normal due dilligence to check their credit rating and health. We expect to be able to know who we are dealing with and that they are going to be able to honour their obligations and commitments. Until something concret happens, this is not possible with Avid.
2
Share
Old 27th February 2014
  #98
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
I very much doubt that anybody will buy Avid. Why bother? If they fail, then all sorts of people will be interested in the IP, but the company itself is too top-heavy.
A purchase of Avid would also come with expectations of some continuity. Those expectations include hardware, and I don't see a lot of companies emphasizing their hardware these days, and thus, not interested in taking on that burden. Even Avid is not emphasizing their hardware! Watch the 41 minute video of Hernandez, and it's all about services provided. Services.

Investors don't care that Pro Tools is the industry standard if they can't make money off of it. If an audio engineer is sitting on Pro Tools 10 and TDM, he is of no value to investors. Loyalty alone is not rewarded. New purchases are.

I could see a buyer wanting Pro Tools to sell as a full-featured piece of software and Media Composer as a full-featured piece of software. But that would be rather different than now. Pro Tools would lose its wedge as a demarcation between industry segments.
Old 27th February 2014
  #99
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
Is there anyone on reading this forum who is a trading/stock PROFESSIONAL who can spell this all out. I don't think anyone here truly gets it.
A licensed professional will not give advice on here. He/she would have to then disclose to his/her broker/dealer that he/she was giving investment advice on the Moan Zone at Gearslutz.com, and then the rumor would spread across the trading floor that he/she has a particular kind of addiction.
Old 27th February 2014
  #100
Lives for gear
 

Since when do you have to be an expert on whether Avid is a good investment or a very risky one? There is substantial info out there about Avid despite the fact Avid has not released financials to investers for the last 2 1/2 years (a major red flag by itself). Avid has lost 75% of its value in the last three years. Avid has had major employee layoffs each year for the last three years, including a top level shakeup. Avid's stated cash reserves continues to dwindle showing they are losing money despite sales. Avid's non United States branches have heavily increased their debt load. Avid has been de-listed which by rule prevents Institutional investors from owning it's stock so there will be even more of a sell off further depressing Avid's value.

Now do you really need to be a financial expert to decide if Avid is a safe or a risky investment of your money?


Another poster brought up Sony as a potential buyer. This won't happen as Sony is having plenty of problems itself. Sony had to sell it's brand new Billion dollar office building and just recently ALSO stated another Billion dollar loss.


We don't wear white lab coats or black hooded robes any longer as audio engineers. Financial knowledge/education is equally available and understandable today too with some self motivation.
2
Share
Old 27th February 2014
  #101
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post

If I or indeed anybody takes on work or orders supplies from a company, it is normal due dilligence to check their credit rating and health. We expect to be able to know who we are dealing with and that they are going to be able to honour their obligations and commitments. Until something concret happens, this is not possible with Avid.
I would be taking a deep breath and long...

pause for thought right now - especially if my studio were considering purchasing an Avid S6 Console



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
We don't wear white lab coats or black hooded robes any longer as audio engineers. Financial knowledge/education is equally available and understandable today too with some self motivation.
Old 27th February 2014
  #102
Lives for gear
 
Motoxxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
Im a mixer. I don't fully understand stocks and wall street stuff. There, im not to proud to say it an spew out a bunch of BS that really just reiterates what everyone already knows like its some deep and insightfull post.

Is there anyone on reading this forum who is a trading/stock PROFESSIONAL who can spell this all out. I don't think anyone here truly gets it.

There a bit of irony. The community of people who always B%$#@ and complain about "non professionals" stealing all their business have now all suddenly become stock experts and are acting like true investment bankers.
I actually do trade professionally every day for the past 8 years. On the west coast of the USA the market closes at 1:00pm and that is when I begin to run my other businesses (my studio and my internet based insurance business)

My original comment about professional audio types understanding the market should be clarified. It seems that many of the audio pros I have talked to over the years are also very knowledgeable about how the markets work and what makes a successful business. As someone else posted "some do, many do not"....You can say that about anything really when it isn't your main industry.

The comments I have read about Avids issues here and elsewhere lead me to believe that many engineer types (anal types) seem to study markets as well. A much higher per capita than musicians do in my experience.

Avid has done some really bad things I think in the past few years from an end user standpoint and I think they lost sight of how to get new users and keep them. There is literally a TON more competition in the DAW market these days than there was say 15 years ago when they launched ProTools Free. Every little kid thought they were a producer when that came out.

Now with things such as Garage Band and other non professional platforms grabbing a new user is much tougher than it was back in the day when they were one of the only games in town. Launching Pro Tools Free was a brilliant move to draw new and younger users into their platform and turn them into lifelong users. As many people drift away from audio that are not pros, grabbing new customers is getting tougher and tougher simply due to more competition in the marketplace. Amateurs doing audio far outnumber pros doing it for a living just like anything else like soccer, motocross, baseball etc. Making things more difficult and confusing for the the largest part of your market share is never a good move.
Old 27th February 2014
  #103
Lives for gear
 

I have a hard time seeing Apple buying Avid under any circumstances. Spending a lot of money to simply shut it down doesn't make sense to me, since a functioning Avid means sales of Apple computers anyway. Well, does it?

Remember the new Mac Pro is hardly all that in line with Avid's business model. At the Pro Tools HDX level, anyway, the Mac Pro seems like a doubling down on native processing being all you could ever want. At best it is a complete dismissal of the need for processing cards.

Of course, I'd say it was a complete dismissal of the needs of the entire audio world, but that's me. It seems to be aimed at video and design more than anything.

Anyway, interesting times. Of course I'm not qualified in any way to understand what I see and read, so there you have it.
Old 27th February 2014
  #104
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
There is a lot of arm chair quarterbacking but giving out HD software.
So I go...
With no hardware requirements for HD native hardware clearly has cost Avid money.
In 2006 when I needed to record a live show of my Venue I needed to buy a $10,000 TDM system. Today I already have the HD license from my studio so I go out and buy a Native thunderbolt ( sells for $1500 with no software) and a couple of cables I get 64 tracks off my Venue with a laptop!
And that's what all Avid's high end clients are doing - Post houses are buying Native systems replacing TDM systems in a lot of cases while only buying fewer HDX upgrades if any.
Now that HD upgrades no longer cost me $150 upgrading multiple systems get the thumbs down from management. Avid looses again.
This is probably the single biggest reason why Jobs killed Apple clones was the first order of business that he did when he returned to Apple in the 90's
Software has no perceived value ( Apple gives away upgrades for free) and hardware has value ( that new Mac Pro are going to cost ya!)
Old 27th February 2014
  #105
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I still fail to see how this piece of software called Protools ( or the Avid editing apps ) is a threat to Apple. Apple is NOT in the business of making Daws, they are in the hardware business. They are not competing with Avid ( or Steinberg, or MOTU, etc). The software they make is just there to say "hey look, if you buy a Mac, you can get lots of shiny tools for audio/video, including our own Logic/FCP wich you can buy for very cheap" . Avid or any Audio-visual software developper is NOT a threat to Apple, because they are simply NOT competing. Developpers HELP sell more Macs ( and more iPhones and iPads ).
Pro Tools as such isn't a threat to Apple but PT and MC are cross-platform applications. I know the market is different in the US but of the 75 - 100 PT sets I work on and am aware of in the region all but 3 or 4 are running on Windows. Of the many more MC sets that I know of in the region, I am not aware of a single one running on a Mac.

If Avid dies or is killed, many people will switch to FCP. I'm sure many will also switch to Adobe Premiere and other solutions but frankly, I have never ever seen Premiere anywhere. Loads of Media Composer or FCP sets but not a single Premiere set. That tells me something about what works in a pro environment. Killing Media Composer means more FCP sales and thus more Mac (Pro) sales.

On the reverse side we have the following: Adobe might not be a threat to Apple (even though they are worth billions and have revenues of over a billion for 2013 and growing) but Apple products are most certainly a threat to Adobe. If a company like Adobe acquire Avid, it might be in their interest to stop supporting the Mac platform entirely and push the media industry away from Macs in general. Apple might want to protect itself from anything that might reduce FCP, Logic and thus Mac sales by simply killing off Avid. They already have their own competing products anyway. (I'll leave it up to people to judge for themselves if the Apple products are adequate or not).

Quote:
Apple could stop selling FCP and Logic tomorrow and the impact for Apple would be less that that of an ant falling over a Boeing 747.
Clearly Apple want to push their Mac Pro's so that means pushing FCP. Anything that helps to push FCP is a good thing for Apple.

Quote:
The only reason they would even want to buy Avid is if they hear that someone like, say, Microsoft would want to buy them and kill Mac development.
I gave the example of Adobe but Microsoft is another (maybe even better) example. The same logic applies to why Apple might want to block that route by killing Avid but is multiplied by Microsoft's much bigger pockets.

Quote:
That would mean less Macs being sold. Apple would then rather buy Avid and kill PC development (like they did with Emagic) to make sure they get another exclusive piece of a major software , wich in turn means more Macs being sold.
That is another option but not the only one for Apple as I have already explained. I actually find it less likely: They already have their own competing products with their fully integrated development teams within Apple's corporate structure. Why support another one with all the costs? Killing Avid gives them increased Mac sales without all the costs and headaches of managing the Avid portfolio and eating up profits made by the increased Mac sales. (Remember, Avid itself isn't generating any profits. They are losing money).

Quote:
Except for really big apps like Logic/FCP ( that help sell more hardware), Apple doesn't buy small products to keep selling them, they buy it to use that technology in bigger pieces. It's not like they said "Oh look, this tiny app from Redmatica , generates 30.000$ of profit a year, we should buy it cause we really need that money ! " We're talking about a company that makes BILLIONS of dollars a year.
(Bolding added for emphasis only)

Exactly! That means you have to think at their level and at their level Avid is just another small company! Don't think from the viewpoint of a user or mere mortal, start thinking from the point of view of a mega corporation like Apple that are (or should be) looking at the long term.

Remember Facebook just paid $19 BILLION for Whatsapp, an app that a skilled team of developers could copy in less than a month! An App that generates less revenue than Avid do. That is how business is conducted at that level. Avid is peanuts for such corporations. A loss making peanut at that...

It is rather simple really: How much does it cost to acquire Avid (and kill it)? That is A. How much would it increase sales and thus profits/revenues from Mac sales in the long term (and how does it affect our long term strategies)? That is B. B - A = C. Is C positive or negative? In other words, do we do it yes or no? Everything else is just emotions.

Quote:
I really think Apple is the last company to be interested in buying Avid.
You could well be right. It might look like I keep hammering on Apple buying Avid (and possibly killing it) but that really isn't the case. I am just responding to the responses and questions my comment generated and explaining the logic behind the comment. It is just one small possibility amongst many others.

Btw, I have been involved in acquisitions worth hundreds of millions. Sometimes even acquisitions causing losses of hundreds of millions. That might give me a different perspective on the way big corporations think compared to people that haven't been in that world.

Alistair
Old 27th February 2014
  #106
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
If Avid dies or is killed, many people will switch to FCP. I'm sure many will also switch to Adobe Premiere and other solutions but frankly, I have never ever seen Premiere anyway. Loads of Media Composer or FCP sets but not a single Premiere set. That tells me something about what works in a pro environment. Killing Media Composer means more FCP sales and thus more Mac (Pro) sales.
I don't think so. FCPx doesn't have the needed features for real pro work.
Old 27th February 2014
  #107
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
I don't think so. FCPx doesn't have the needed features for real pro work.
What are the alternatives? (I know nothing of the feature set of Premiere or anything besides MC and FCP).

Alistair
Old 27th February 2014
  #108
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
What are the alternatives? (I know nothing of the feature set of Premiere or anything besides MC and FCP).

Alistair
dunno. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can chime in with good alternatives.

Apples big mistake was thinking they would single handily change the workflow of how things are done. And they did this with virtually no understanding of what is needed to do real work.
Old 27th February 2014
  #109
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
I think the industry will be better off with Pro Tools in a reduced market position. You just can't let one tool dominate an entire industry for so long, this is the result.
I think you nailed it. Monocultures, and all that.
Old 27th February 2014
  #110
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
dunno. Maybe somebody with more knowledge can chime in with good alternatives.
The problem is that if Media Composer is gone and there are no better alternatives than FCP then FCP is the de facto best option and people will migrate to it regardless of how woefully inadequate it might be.

Quote:
Apples big mistake was thinking they would single handily change the workflow of how things are done. And they did this with virtually no understanding of what is needed to do real work.
Agreed.

Alistair
Old 27th February 2014
  #111
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

Guys, don't forget that Steve Jobs was also the boss of a tiny little studio that had a couple of student amateurs in it doing short videos for Youtube that makes no money, it was called... mmm... Pixar I think
I think he ( and Apple) knew a thing or two about the requirements of word scale professional film productions ( or animations ).
The thing is, it's pretty obvious that Apple made a conscious move to re-orient FCP ( since version 10 ) towards the prosumer ( as in, small scale commercials, music videos, wedding videos, small broadcast videos, etc..) market and leave the high-end ( movies, high end commercials, etc..) to Avid. It was obvious even in the examples they used on their promo page for FCP X.
Avid had no real competition on that front on the Mac, and Apple seemed happy to leave the field and let Avid corner the market ( as long as it helped sell Macs )
Old 27th February 2014
  #112
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The problem is that if Media Composer is gone and there are no better alternatives than FCP then FCP is the de facto best option and people will migrate to it regardless of how woefully inadequate it might be.



Agreed.

Alistair
No one will work on fcpx. no one. I know exactly 2 people who ever use it and when they work on a real project they go back to fcp 7. They are die hards. A lot of people moved to MC or premiere.

I will never trust my software tools in the hands of a company like apple. They have a track record of big awful changes and thats not what pros want. They want consistent steady movement with the ability to maintain older projects in some fashion.

And to the others, The reason protools is a standard is so we can all work together. We can bounce sessions back and forth and have a fast workflow for doing it.
Old 27th February 2014
  #113
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
What are the alternatives? (I know nothing of the feature set of Premiere or anything besides MC and FCP).

Alistair
Well, there's Autodesk Smoke now on the Mac . Very high-end integrated Editing + FX solution. But a much steeper learning curve than either FCP or Avid, which frightens lots of editors. But it's only 3500$ now.

In fact, now that I think of it, Autodesk could be a buyer. If there's someone who could really profit from killing Avid, that's them ( on the video front at least ). Autodesk is strong on the high end 3d software (Maya, Softimage), visual FX ( Flame, Smoke ), but they have no audio solutions in their product catalogue.
Old 27th February 2014
  #114
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Guys, don't forget that Steve Jobs was also the boss of a tiny little studio that had a couple of student amateurs in it doing short videos for Youtube that makes no money, it was called... mmm... Pixar I think
I think he ( and Apple) knew a thing or two about the requirements of word scale professional film productions ( or animations ).
The thing is, it's pretty obvious that Apple made a conscious move to re-orient FCP ( since version 10 ) towards the prosumer ( as in, small scale commercials, music videos, wedding videos, small broadcast videos, etc..) market and leave the high-end ( movies, high end commercials, etc..) to Avid. It was obvious even in the examples they used on their promo page for FCP X.
Avid had no real competition on that front on the Mac, and Apple seemed happy to leave the field and let Avid corner the market ( as long as it helped sell Macs )
FCP 7 works. Many editors were VERY happy to base their lively hood on apples software in the past. But to have the rug pulled out from under them like that spoiled apple from ever getting the pro money ever again. Fool me once...
Old 27th February 2014
  #115
Lives for gear
 

It's a cost thing on the video side for alternatives. There are other great options, Fairlight being one of them. It just costs more money to be able to edit in full HD video with super large audio track counts all while using multiple file formats and multiple sample rates at the same time.
Old 27th February 2014
  #116
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
...[snip]... It just costs more money to be able to edit in full HD video with super large audio track counts all while using multiple file formats and multiple sample rates at the same time.
.

ur kidding, right?

i'm doing this on my Galaxy Note 3 now...

Samsung is the future...

.
Old 27th February 2014
  #117
We've just got a note from Avid regarding that article on TheStreet - it was initially incorrect and has been amended. Here is Avid's official statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid
The financial results being quoted in this article are erroneous. Due to the accounting evaluation and restatement process Avid has been going through, we have not issued any financial statements after Q3 2012. As we have previously reported, as a result of the restatement, previously issued financial statements are not accurate and should not be relied upon. We request that you delete any reference to Avid’s financial results, as your reporting is inaccurate.

Avid’s de-listing from NASDAQ and its subsequent listing on OTC is the result of delays in the reporting of financial information -- it was not related to operating performance in any way.

We are continuing to work very hard to correct the accounting, which is related to nearly 5 million transaction lines spanning eight-and-a half years. We announced that we are targeting completion of the restatement by mid-2014.

We continue to invest in product innovation. Since the beginning of the restatement process, we released Pro Tools 11, Media Composer 7, Sibelius 7.5, two new online shared storage offerings, a brand new mixing console – the S6, as well as a new live sound system – Avid S3L.

With a compelling Avid Everywhere vision established, the launch of the ACA, a significant number of new product innovation announcements planned for 2014, we believe we remain well positioned to support our customers’ ongoing success.
Old 27th February 2014
  #118
Lives for gear
 
John Moran's Avatar
 

...but nothing about hemorrhaging cash is incorrect.

GM and Chrysler were designing and releasing new vehicles too, until...
Old 27th February 2014
  #119
JSt0rm's right about FCPx & FCP 7...

spaceman makes a great point about Autodesk… Autodesk is perfectly poised to purchase Avid with regard to their financials.

Avid's not healthy for investment purposes but MC & PT is a great buy if your a working audio/video professional with a healthy client base.

Autodesk Smoke isn't ready to usurp Media Composer as it stands - it can't handle multicam and gets dicey with very large projects.

What would happen if Media Composer & Pro Tools went away? Nothing, because it's not going away, anytime soon...

I own/use Autodesk Smoke 2013, Media Composer 7 & FCP 7.
Old 27th February 2014
  #120
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa View Post
JSt0rm's right about FCPx & FCP 7...
He is only right if there are viable alternatives otherwise it is like saying you would never ever eat a McD hamburger because they are not good enough. If you are starving and the only "food" available is a McD burger, you will eat it. There might be alternatives (I don't know) but the logic of my statement, with the big IF, stands. Hence my curiosity about the alternatives to MC and FCP.

Quote:
spaceman makes a great point about Autodesk… Autodesk is perfectly poised to purchase Avid with regard to their financials.
Autodesk is indeed an interesting candidate.

Alistair
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump