The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid circles the drain
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
Look at what I've been looking at for the past hour, trying to load old pro tools sessions. Every one of them screws up. For no reason. Where you at Psycho monkey, time to save the day for Pro tools and blame it on user error. SMH.
have you tried importing session data into a new session? I've never ever seen protools sessions totally unrecoverable.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
have you tried importing session data into a new session? I've never ever seen protools sessions totally unrecoverable.
I can import data for virtual instruments and midi? Even the ones that open, many times, have missing patches or wrong patches.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

yeah you can import those tracks. Im going to help you because I've been in a similar situation and it was scary as hell. My issue was related to total size of my waveform cache file i.e it was faking huge.

You should start by importing sections of the session into a new session. Do this until it fails. Roll back and do the import again but go down to 1 track and figure out where it is crashing. Then see if that track ONLY fails OR if it fails from that point on. If its only that track congrats you have recovered most of your stuff. I would attempt to import that 1 track into a new session alone or import that one track from a backup session.

You have probably run out of memory in the session. You possibly imported to much or instantiated too many vi's and now even opening the session boinks the ram limits. By splitting the session up you can get your information back again. ptf and ptx files are really robust. Even if you have corruption you have a auto saves back up folder full of fresh versions of that session.

Once you have everything back think about how you can trim down the session. In the clip bin you can select unused except whole audio files and delete them. I end up with a region bin that has 10k regions in it that I don't use, yet protools is keeping track of every one of them.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

double post. heres a kitten

Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gotta love these ones!
AFIK - 7054 errors are cause by a plug-in issue.

98% of any problems I have encountered are plug-in related issues.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
double post. heres a kitten

at last a valuable post on Gearslutz today. thanks!
Old 4th April 2014
Deleted User
Saturday could be interesting: Avid Customer Association: Event Schedule
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Or not..

Quote:
Originally Posted by claurence View Post
Saturday could be interesting: Avid Customer Association: Event Schedule
Old 4th April 2014
Quote:
Look at what I've been looking at for the past hour, trying to load old pro tools sessions. Every one of them screws up. For no reason. Where you at Psycho monkey, time to save the day for Pro tools and blame it on user error. SMH.
Does it lock up when "loading sessions?" Mine does that too. Particularly on aux channels with plugins on them (doesn't matter what plugin). Just locks up loading the session. Have to force quit. Sometimes takes 3 times or more to get the session open. Crazy.
Old 5th April 2014
Deleted User
Not sure what to make of this:

Press Releases - News - Stockhouse

The article has links to the Avid website. Thus far, it looks mostly like a rebranding of existing product-lines with the addition of a subscription-based option for video products.
Old 5th April 2014
Deleted User
Audio detail here:

http://apps.avid.com/avid-everywhere...ail.html#audio

This WSJ article focuses even more on Pro Tools:

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...05-902647.html

"Through a series of presentations at NAB, Avid will preview several key technological innovations for Pro Tools audio software, which will enable artists, producers, engineers, sound designers, and remixers to:

Collaborate via the cloud -- To enable music and audio professionals to collaborate together everywhere, Avid announced plans to add cloud-based collaboration workflows to Pro Tools. Musicians, producers, mixers and other contributors will be able to work together on the same music session or soundtrack, in real-time or offline, no matter where they are.

With track-based collaboration Pro Tools users will be able to:

-- Post sessions to cloud storage and invite others to collaborate

-- Work on the same session at the same time or offline, and share updates
directly within Pro Tools

-- Record, edit, and mix tracks that will be pushed to all other
collaborators upon completion

-- Automatically keep track of all contributions and changes, as files are
automatically tagged with rich metadata
With streaming capabilities, users will be able to:

-- Securely stream mixes to an iOS device for real-time review and approval

-- Sync collaborators' Pro Tools sessions together to work on audio for
video projects, such as remote ADR or voiceover sessions

-- Stream audio across synched Pro Tools sessions
Securely share and archive work locally or in the cloud -- To ensure that users can maintain access and provide collaborators access to all parts of their projects--even on systems that don't have the same plug-ins--Avid is developing the PXF archival. This format will enable Pro Tools sessions to be exported with rich metadata and effects "frozen" into the media so that projects can be accessed and played further down the line, even if technologies change or are unavailable, no matter how far out in the future users re-access them.

Monetize content through an online marketplace -- Content creators will be able to connect and collaborate with other media professionals, as well as connect with consumers, through a public marketplace, enabling them to share and monetize media, with all rights managed and delivery secured across the environment. Additionally, studios and media companies will be able to set up private marketplaces that enable collaboration and streamline production.

Unlike social music sites that simply allow music sharing and promotion, the audio marketplace will help artists forge more meaningful connections with the entire audio community, enabling them to connect with other media professionals and creators to share, collaborate, enhance, promote, and sell their work, publicly or privately.

The new marketplace will allow audio professionals to:

-- Publish session files, multichannel stems, and stereo mixdowns directly
from Pro Tools for license in the public marketplace

-- Gain exposure and opportunities to make money by connecting with media
professionals looking to license music and sound assets

-- Quickly find professional-quality content in the style and formats they
need, as all files will contain rich, searchable metadata

-- Rate and provide comments for media assets in the marketplace to help
others in the community make more informed purchasing decisions

-- Buy and sell music and audio content with peace of mind, as all rights
will be managed and protected across the marketplace

-- Create a private marketplace for media enterprise, making it possible to
sell media assets, and control to whom they are available, through a
storefront hosted in Avid's marketplace

-- Search for and purchase marketplace content and audio plug-ins directly
from within Pro Tools--with no application restart required after
installation"

Last edited by claurence; 5th April 2014 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Added WSJ Article
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

So. it appears Avid Everywhere consists of:

Competing against a large number of already succeeding and well-entrenched companies and programs at their own games(s) simultaneously? I don't know how well that is going to work.

One area I CAN, personally, see a real value here, as a VO artist, is the real-time voiceover/ADR sharing, as long as it allows quality and latency at least as good as current ISDN technology. That could save a lot of money over time, and make my Telos Zephyr into a paperweight.

Maybe others will see similar value in other areas of the new Avid Everywhere approach.

But the prospect of kicking all this off in a short time period, which is all Avid seems to have, and doing so successfully? Count me dubious.
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

I would have been impressed if they'd announced a plan to get their existing software working as advertised.

This is nothing more than an announcement of vapourware with some industry sycophants attached, no doubt lapping up backhanders... Where is the "Buy It Now" button?

Seriously..... Has it EVER occurred to Avid that it's customers have already found solutions to their own workflow requirements? Apparently not. We just want tools that WORK to do our jobs FFS....

The corporate idiots have taken over the asylum..... AGAIN.... This is simply an inane, half-baked attempt at re-marketing existing product. And THIS is supposed to save the company???? As I said.... where is the "Buy" button for this new "vision"?

And I'm the mug who bought an HDX system that doesn't work...

I can't believe ANYONE is taking this seriously. If you're not already doing what Avid Everywhere is advertising then you're in the wrong job.....

I have a horrible feeling this is all leading to Adobe's hideously insidious "cloud" model....
Old 6th April 2014
Deleted User
The interest in this major announcement is stunning...
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

If the software industry had it's way we would all be renting software so they could escape being both responsible and liable for what comes with the selling of a product. The cloud model is a part of that vision.

Avid's lengthy corporate speak is just ENCRYPTED cloud storage. There is a loophole in fair use via encryption that has not been challenged legally yet in the US. Currently you are allowed to make fair use copies but not allowed to break encryption to do so. Once a test case gets to the higher courts here (which could take years) it will be tossed like they did recently in Europe due to people's superior right to be able to do whatever they want with PRODUCTS they have purchased under the fair use doctrine. In the mean time we will be seeing a push for encryption to "monitize" (take advantage of the temporary loophole). Avid is just jumping on that bandwagon.

As for offering the same services as others with much deeper pockets or no middleman in the process I doubt Avid would make a dent even if they did have the capital to make a serious effort (which they don't).

So besides the simple addons to have encrypted cloud use and an app store what are they really offering the user?
Old 6th April 2014

Actually, I think the cloud use, if it is done well, and reasonably priced, could be great for people who work collaboratively

And I don't like Adobe's new model. I am currently trying to decide what to do about that in my other life.

matt
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Yep, this is another "cloud" strategy which is not different than the hoard of companies already touting one. I doubt Avid can afford to build a data center to service it's limited (in terms of say a customer base like Oracle or Microsoft) customers. They will probably buy into someone's data center for a fee and pass this along to their customers. They should have looked a little deeper into "cloud storage" and seen the road kill out there already i.e. Verizon cloud services, IBM cloud (recent layoffs and underperformance). To this date, there are limited success stories in cloud. Not to say there aren't a few success stories but those entail companies that actually provide a software experience that can be provided without the inhouse IT organization providing support for it. Example: Salesforce, MS Office.

But, the CEO needs a vision and cloud strategy regardless of viability is a convenient visionary trend for upper management. I can see all the first and second level managers nodding their heads in support of the initiative now.

A better vision would be a DAW that can operate from the cloud. That would draw subscribers and at the same time remove computer compatibility issues. The first DAW company that can provide this will be well ahead of their competitors and be able to bundle the harder to sell "cloud storage" offerings.
Old 7th April 2014
Gear Addict

This is huge. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I can now enlist the help of other producers who I trust to work collaboratively on projects in parallel with me. This will greatly simplify film mixing, where only one session is needed for dialog, fx, music and foley. All four operators can work at separate workstations on the same session. But why stick with only 4 operators? Thirty mixers can work on different parts of the same session at once, thus speeding up the process. Also, edit conforms only have to be done on one session which is a time-saver.

When working on music, I can have trusted producers track drums, or edit vocals, while I oversee and work on other areas in the session. I can see a whole new economy spring up around this, where teams of highly trained but very low-paid engineers in China expertly tune vocals and mix for 30 cents an hour. Well, maybe not China, but South Korea, maybe? lol
Old 7th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane666666 View Post
...This will greatly simplify film mixing, where only one session is needed for dialog, fx, music and foley. All four operators can work at separate workstations on the same session. But why stick with only 4 operators? Thirty mixers can work on different parts of the same session at once, thus speeding up the process. Also, edit conforms only have to be done on one session which is a time-saver.
And how exactly does that simplify a film mix? It is sometimes done already like that (multiple stages for premixes on "time crunch" projects), and I dont imagine that as being simple.
Believe it or not, film mixing does require some form of artistic intent, which is usually in the hands (and ears) of the lead mixer. I fail to see how AVID Everywhere helps in that regard.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Steven, I can only hope the previous post was highly ironic as you are of course fully correct.
Even though networking and working with others can indeed bring new stuff to the table, I doubt it will be that huge of a deal.
In many ways this is really disappointing from where I look. A expensive networking solution based on ISIS really does not look that attractive to me.
Perhaps it can become a big thing in large broadcast/network companies.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

The DAW itself in the cloud won't work because of latency for real time operations. Having a small DRM part of it there so you can rent software instead of sell a product will be what their goal is. They want to dictate what rights you have with no responsibility or liability on their end. It's a form of control, just another typical one sided contract in the music biz. Pro Tools users should be used to grabbing their ankles by now so if Avid survives as a company it should slip through. To quote from the movie Animal House, "Thank you sir may I have another".

Given the fact that 2/3rd's of the world's population earns less than $3.60 a day wages and that 1/3rd of the world's population earns less than $1.60 a day wages, they won't be paying children in southeast Asia tuning Britney anything near 30 cents an hour (probably Vietnam or Malaysia before shifting to Africa). Why would you want to upset class divisions and globalization with such a huge wage hike?
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane666666 View Post
This is huge. I've been waiting for this for a long time. I can now enlist the help of other producers who I trust to work collaboratively on projects in parallel with me. This will greatly simplify film mixing, where only one session is needed for dialog, fx, music and foley. All four operators can work at separate workstations on the same session. But why stick with only 4 operators? Thirty mixers can work on different parts of the same session at once, thus speeding up the process. Also, edit conforms only have to be done on one session which is a time-saver.

When working on music, I can have trusted producers track drums, or edit vocals, while I oversee and work on other areas in the session. I can see a whole new economy spring up around this, where teams of highly trained but very low-paid engineers in China expertly tune vocals and mix for 30 cents an hour. Well, maybe not China, but South Korea, maybe? lol
So you're suggesting a LOT more engineers get paid a LOT less money or alternatively some of the work gets shipped overseas? Good plan <----- (sarcasm!)

Whatever the merits of AvidEverywhere, surely Avid needs something more substantial than this to revive it's flagging fortunes. It's not made much of an impact on Avid's share price, up slightly but below what it was three weeks ago
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear
From the Avid Connect mail shot
------------------------------------
Innovative solutions include:
Media Composer | Cloud: Extends real-time production everywhere by enabling Media Composer® editors to remotely and securely access, edit, and collaborate with others

Media Composer subscription and floating licensing: Customers now have greater choice in how they use Media Composer, with options that enhance flexibility and value

Media | Director: Automates the process of ingesting media into production and nearline storage, enabling users to start editing immediately and accelerate project turnaround

Media | Index: Streamlines workflows and collaboration by enabling users to search for, audition, and move media across multiple local and remote Interplay databases

Media | Distribute: Enables content delivery to multiple platforms, with extended integration to more third-party video, social media, video transcoding, and web systems
4K support: The entire ISIS ® storage family now supports collaborative 4K and Ultra HD workflows

ISIS | 2500: Offers higher capacity nearline shared storage, making it easier to store large volumes of high-res assets and repurpose content

Pro Tools Cloud Workflows, technology preview: Connect and collaborate with others remotely, either in real time or offline
Avid Marketplace, technology preview: Promote, sell, and license your music and audio content on an open, secure marketplace
-------------
Old 7th April 2014
Here for the gear

Avid better actually release this ProTools Cloud / Avid Everywhere product soon or everyone will think this is vaporware to drum up a buyer for the failing Avid. They announced "Avid Everywhere" @ NAB 2013 so its sort of a drip drip of actually information a year later...

Has anyone actually seen ProTools Cloud or heard a release date?

Boston Coverage:
Can Avid Technology make a comeback? - Business - The Boston Globe

Sonic Scoop:
Avid Previews New Vision for Pro Tools at NAB 2014 — Cloud Collaboration, Monetization, and Much More : SonicScoop – Creative, Technical & Business Connections For NYC’s Music & Sound Community
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the Boston Globe link! Looks like I was right about Avid's corporate speak about getting you now to rent it's software. PT users better order some lube too.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

This says it all..

"But “Avid lives and breathes at the high end of the market,” says Steven Frankel, senior research analyst at Dougherty & Co., a Minneapolis investment bank.

All of the growth is below them. They have happy customers they can continue to service, but it’s hard to see how they grow and prosper.”

I have to wonder if Avid will go the way of 8-track tapes — or Apollo Computer, which saw PC makers like IBM steal away much of its high-end, money-is-no-object customer base. It’s a high drama moment for the company: Is there a comeback in store, or are the credits about to roll?"

Let's be honest, we who of a certain age, who live thru the NED Synclavier die a fast death with products like.."Sound Designer", Alesis Adats..
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
And how exactly does that simplify a film mix?
I worked on a mountain bike commercial last week in Burbank for which I hired my friend in Marina Del Rey to produce the sfx. (These cities are too far apart geographically to easily commute.) At the mix wrap the director wanted some minimal tweaks to some of the bike foley and car exterior sounds. With AVID everywhere I could have just quickly done these last minute edits myself, because the sfx tracks would be in my session. Instead I had to take extra time to send notes down, wait for edits, and import changes into the master session.

To me the collaborating solution clearly simplifies the above workflow. It seems that not many people are excited about this development, and I can't understand why not? I must be missing something obvious.
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
So you're suggesting a LOT more engineers get paid a LOT less money
Well, I didn't mean that they would be paid less in their own currency. I was just interested in paying less for skilled labor. From my very limited understanding currency exchange rates allow a worker in some foreign countries to make a decent wage from what would amount to nickels in the US.

I don't see a problem with shipping work overseas, personally. It's happening in every industry. AVID outsourced their entire coding team to Kiev, Ukraine via Global Logic, and Apple outsourced their manufacturing to Foxconn a long time ago. Someone will be doing the work, in this case spending the long hours required to produce music and sound. What does it matter who and where they are, as long as they are competent and enjoying the work?

Sorry for derailing the AVID discussion, this probably belongs in another thread.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I would have been impressed if they'd announced a plan to get their existing software working as advertised.
+1
Here is yet another Major bug in PT11.
Step Input Bug - Another Broken Feature In Pro Tools

Its this contempt that Avid has for its customers that infuriates. They steamroller ahead with a "Vision Thing" and yet the software needs working on.
PT11 was a hype….for sure.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't see a problem with shipping work overseas, personally.
Just wait until they ship YOUR work oversea.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search